BMKal

Aug 18, 2022
Woodworking in the shed ..............

Since retiring from the mining game, I have taken up woodworking. It is a bit of a change for me - I worked for years as a metallurgist, involved in mineral processing, engineering design and mine / project management. Now I love to use my hands, either working with wood, epoxy resins or with steel, or in some cases, combinations of various materials. This time of the year, it's pretty cold out in the shed, but I usually light up the wood fire both to keep warm and also to get rid of scraps, offcuts and to hide my mistakes. :rolleyes:

Today I finished off turning and polishing this bowl, which is made of some scrap sandalwood cast in a fiery red epoxy resin. Tomorrow I hope to finish off a batch of timber end grain kitchen cutting boards I have been working on. After that .......... who knows ? But it keeps me busy and out of trouble, and there's never any shortage of Christmas & Birthday gifts.

IMG_2662.jpgIMG_2472.jpgIMG_2639.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Sethia Soliman
Since retiring from the mining game, I have taken up woodworking. It is a bit of a change for me - I worked for years as a metallurgist, involved in mineral processing, engineering design and mine / project management. Now I love to use my hands, either working with wood, epoxy resins or with steel, or in some cases, combinations of various materials. This time of the year, it's pretty cold out in the shed, but I usually light up the wood fire both to keep warm and also to get rid of scraps, offcuts and to hide my mistakes. :rolleyes:

Today I finished off turning and polishing this bowl, which is made of some scrap sandalwood cast in a fiery red epoxy resin. Tomorrow I hope to finish off a batch of timber end grain kitchen cutting boards I have been working on. After that .......... who knows ? But it keeps me busy and out of trouble, and there's never any shortage of Christmas & Birthday gifts.

View attachment 5448View attachment 5449View attachment 5450
These are fantastic! My jaw is on the floor. You're making me want to take up woodworking too!

Reactions: BMKal