Woman's mysterious backyard discovery leaves her bugged out

In a startling turn of events, an Australian woman makes an unsettling discovery in her backyard, prompting a wave of concern and apprehension.

As details emerge surrounding the nature of this off-putting finding, residents in the area are left on edge, grappling with feelings of unease and uncertainty.

In the quiet suburbs of Sutherland Shire, Sydney, a local woman's backyard has become the stage for a scene straight out of a nature documentary, but with a twist that's left her more than a little unnerved.

Sammi, the homeowner, initially noticed what she described as 'furry blobs' appearing in her garden over a month ago.

‘I brushed the first few away to see if they came back or if anything came out, which, at that stage, nothing did,’ she said.

fall-armyworm-egg-mass.jpg
An Australian woman discovered her garden overrun with 'flurry blobs', which turned out to be armyworms. Credits: DAFF

However, these mysterious nests have now proliferated to an alarming number, with 10 to 15 of them taking up residence in her outdoor space.

‘The nests just keep multiplying,’ she shared.

‘They’re on the netting (of outdoor weather blinds), on the downpipes, under the eaves, and on a cladded wall.’

‘I brushed one open onto my hand so we could try to see what they were and figure out if it was a fly or worm,’ she continued.

The culprit behind these nests, as identified by Doug Balsom, Owner and Director of Serial Pest Control, is the larvae of armyworms.

‘What will happen is the moth will come by, lay its egg—normally on the eaves or the side of the house and near lighting—and then those egg sacks will hatch, and little worms will start coming out of them, like caterpillars almost,’ he explained.

‘And then, they’ll start decimating the lawn and eat any plant that is related to grass.’

Balsom also added that after a period of feeding, they pupate and eventually emerge as moths, ready to begin the cycle anew.

Sammi's discovery is not an isolated incident.

‘We're having an outbreak of armyworm at the moment,’ Balsom stated.

‘I'm actually, this week, doing a huge commercial property. This is in a factory unit where they have decimated a particular plant there and it's just getting out of hand.’

‘We're also doing a lot of lawn treatments at the moment. It's just a little bit of a plague we’re having to be honest,’ he added.

Balsom attributed the outbreak to Sydney's current subtropical weather conditions.

‘We're having humid days, a lot of moisture, and I think the grasses are growing so they’ve got a lot of resources and we're seeing a huge outbreak because of it,’ he pointed out.

Locals from the Sutherland area have echoed Sammi's concerns, sharing their own experiences of armyworm invasions on social media.

‘My parents have been invaded,’ one person shared.

‘They have been growing like crazy at the moment,’ another agreed.

‘I have lived in Miranda for 20 years in a unit, and it’s the first time I’ve been invaded!’ a third commented.

However, for Sammi, the stakes are high. Having recently replaced her lawn, the prospect of it being devoured by armyworms is a financial and emotional worry.

The thought of her dog coming into contact with these pests also caused her considerable distress.

When it comes to prevention, Balsom admitted that there's no foolproof method to stop armyworms; however, he advocated for an integrated pest management approach.

‘One of the simplest, most chemical free solutions that I use is a mozzie trap with a fan in it; not a zapper, so at night the moths are attracted to the light and get sucked into the fan, then they’re captured and then they die in there,’ Balsom explained.

For those already dealing with an infestation, he recommended getting a broom and brushing the nests off to destroy the eggs, while suggesting an insecticide called bifenthrin.

‘But if they’re really worried about it, they should contact their local pest control company,’ Balsom added.

As the Australian woman grapples with the unsettling discovery in her backyard, her experience resonates with a broader phenomenon sweeping across the country: a resurgence of insect pests.

In light of recent reports detailing a resurgence of insect pests plaguing households nationwide, the need for effective pest control strategies becomes increasingly apparent.
Key Takeaways
  • An Australian woman discovered her garden overrun with nests resembling 'flurry blobs', which are the larvae of armyworms.
  • Pest control expert Doug Balsom warned of a 'plague' of armyworms in Sydney, attributing the outbreak to the city's subtropical weather, which provides ideal conditions for these pests.
  • Residents in the Sutherland Shire also shared experiencing similar issues, with armyworms threatening to damage lawns and plants.
  • While prevention is challenging, Balsom suggested using mozzie traps with fans and brushing nests off structures, alongside the use of insecticides like bifenthrin, to manage an infestation.
Have you encountered similar issues with pests in your garden? What measures have you taken to protect your backyard haven? Share your stories and tips with us in the comments below.

Reactions: natalielocket
Sponsored
Now I have just read about a gardener tangling up a plover with his whipper-snipper and how horrible that is, but it's ok to chop up moths using a fan, or perhaps poison them with an insecticide? I've seen precious few honey-bees in our garden this year. Are army-worms indigenous to Australia? If so, it's a bit of a double-standard to go round killing them...............

Reactions: Scaveola
I have never had a problem in my lawn with army grubs.
They take one taste of the artificial grass, go yuk, and slither off to greener pastures.
I have had a couple of attacks launched at some of my pot plants. Quite amazing the damage they can quietly inflict ... like ninja grubs.
Those offending culprits went into green waste for a smorgasbord in the council pick-up, no doubt to go into battle against other critters who were transported.
I don't use chemicals so had to go with the option of a green lid convict ship.