Woman's infuriating checkout line behaviour has shoppers outraged

The supermarket, a place where people from all walks of life converge to purchase essentials, has become an unlikely stage for social media theatrics.

While the convenience of self-checkout kiosks has revolutionised the shopping experience, allowing for a quicker and often more efficient process, it has also introduced new challenges.

Filming someone publicly raises important questions about privacy and respect. It requires careful consideration of individual rights and the impact of capturing moments in public spaces.

A woman recording herself at a self-checkout kiosk, seemingly watching a man behind her, sparked controversy, and raised questions about personal space, privacy, and social media manners.

The incident unfolded as Katie Miller, the woman in question, set up her phone to record herself during checkout.

She added a 'Look Counter' to the video, tallying the number of times the man behind her glanced in her direction.

unnamed (21).png
Katie Miller posted a clip in which she took her time using the self-checkout, filming herself with her phone. Credit: @Malcolm_fleX48 / X

Throughout the 36-second clip, Miller can be seen rolling her eyes and giggling.

She ends the video with a cryptic comment: ‘That's what you guys are, just a couple of meat bags.’

The video quickly became popular, with many viewers jumping to the man's defence.

‘He is literally waiting on people to hurry up so he can check out with his food. Holding up checkout to make a TikTok should be a criminal offence,’ a social media user replied.

‘She has a camera out, recording him while he waits in line, and he is the bad guy. I hope she is banned from that store,’ another commented.

‘It's 2024, of course, this woman makes a video suggesting that she doesn't like the attention, and then posts the video to social media in order to get attention,’ a third person said.

‘This infuriated me to no end,’ one confessed.

‘That is one insecure person.’ another surmised.

You can watch the video that was posted here:

Credit: @Malcolm_fleX48 / X

Many noticed that her camera setup, apparently for filming while checking out, understandably drew annoyed looks her way.

‘That man is thinking, “Can you hurry up,”’ one pondered.

‘His mind: is she still paying? Looks like she's just standing there. I wonder if she's on some drugs,’ another indicated.

Similarly, a mother shared her unease upon discovering a home security camera installed by her neighbour, which she believes overlooks her backyard where her children play.

The camera's placement has left her feeling uncomfortable. More details about the incident can be found here.
Key Takeaways
  • A woman was criticised for holding up a supermarket checkout line to film a video.
  • The video showed the woman counting the number of times a man behind her looked in her direction at the self-checkout.
  • Social media users defended the man and suggested he was simply waiting his turn and not behaving inappropriately.
  • The incident sparked debate about the appropriateness of filming strangers without consent and using such footage for social media content.
Have you encountered similar situations where social media interfered with your daily activities? How do you think we can balance the use of technology with maintaining respect for those around us? Share your experiences and insights in the comments below.

Sponsored
There is no doubt at all that the young lady is seeking her 5 minutes of fame. All the guy is doing is appreciating the "Scenery". How many thousands of us have also appreciated the scenery in similar circumstances? I know I have.

Really !!! The guy was looking at every checkout waiting for one to become available.

He looked at her with an expression of ' what the hell are you doing'

If that was me I would have told her to stop filming and being so conceited and move on so others could use the checkout.

If I was that man I would sue her to teach her not to film someone without their permission

What a little biach

Last edited:
What a silly young intituled lady. Let's be honest you go shopping you just want to pay for your goods and get on with your day. From what l could gather that man wasn't doing a thing wrong, he was waiting to use a check out. How rude tic tocking yourself at the checkout. Maybe there is something wrong with me but some social media is the devils work.
Why can't we just be kind and patient with each other. Mind our business and get on with our daily routine without judgement and being a pest to others.
Kind regards to all Vicki

How sad that she has so little dignity that she requires validation from total strangers online.

How sad that she has fallen victim to the belief that men are compelled to stare because she thinks she is attractive.

How sad that she believes she is entitled to keep others waiting and defame an innocent person for her personal self gratification.

Yes, she is a disgrace but she is to be pitied that her life is so pointless that she feels driven to such antisocial behaviour.

A true indictment on the youth of today - well their parents actually for not instilling basic values such as personal dignity and respect

She's lucky she wasn't filming me otherwise I would have grabbed her phone and thrown it against the wall
Would have done the same. She is obviously finished her shopping scan and leaning against the trolley wasting time when other customers are waiting for a vacant checkout position. I certainly would not have been polite in asking her to finish and move on for other customers to use the machines. Bee I T C H.

If I had been in his position I would have asked her to move on as she was obviously finished, but not before getting her to delete the video of me as she broke the law by filming me without my consent. Obviously she just wanted her 15 minutes of fame but could have damaged this man’s reputation 😡

If I had been in his position I would have asked her to move on as she was obviously finished, but not before getting her to delete the video of me as she broke the law by filming me without my consent. Obviously she just wanted her 15 minutes of fame but could have damaged this man’s reputation 😡
But think about this. Supermarkets film every move you make at self serve checkouts. That's why I place my thumb over the camera lens when I use them.

There are certain laws regarding the use of cameras (still or video) in public and private situations. The Federal Telecommunications (Interception and Access) Act 1979 and the Surveillance Devices Act 2004 cover this.