Woman exposes shopper's ‘disgusting behaviour’ in shopping centre car park

In the hustle and bustle of our daily lives, we often forget the responsibilities that come with pet ownership.

One such incident recently occurred at Warringah Mall in Sydney's north, where a woman allegedly left her dog locked in her car while she shopped for up to 40 minutes.

This incident has sparked a heated debate about the ethics of leaving pets unattended in vehicles, even in seemingly mild conditions.

On that fateful day, when temperatures soared to about 28 degrees, a woman named Claire noticed a fellow shopper park her car next to hers in the undercover car park.

The woman exited her vehicle, leaving her shaggy dog alone in the back seat.

Upon seeing the unattended pet, Claire contacted the security, who tried to reach the owner via a mobile number on the dog's harness.

Screenshot 2024-03-01 103827.png
A woman noticed that a shopper left their dog inside the car in a shopping centre car park. Image source: Facebook

Claire attempted to report the incident to both the police and the animal welfare organisation, the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA), but received no assistance.

‘Myself and my mother waited till she got back,’ Claire stated. ‘It was around 3:15 pm, and she didn’t come back till just before 4 pm.’

When the owner returned, Claire confronted her about the apparent neglect of her pet, which she claimed was ‘panting and drooling’.

However, the woman merely laughed off the accusation and drove away hastily.

Claire took to social media to share her frustration, posting pictures of the dog and criticising the owner for her 'absolute irresponsibility and disgusting behaviour'.

She added: 'People like you should not own animals.’

The incident sparked a debate on social media, with some arguing that the car was parked under cover and likely cool enough for the dog.

‘The dog doesn't look hot and distressed at all,’ a social media user pointed out.

Others, however, vehemently disagreed, stating that it's 'simply disgusting' and 'cruel' to leave a dog unattended in a car, regardless of the conditions.

‘Undercover or not, you don't lock a baby in a car, you don't lock an animal in a car. No excuses,’ another commented.

The RSPCA advised that leaving a dog inside a car unattended is 'always dangerous', regardless of the location or outside temperature.

Even on mild days, temperatures inside a car can rapidly increase, reaching double the outside temperature.

'Dogs cool themselves through panting and are particularly at risk of heat stress in a hot car. If the air around them is too hot, and there is no access to cool water, dogs cannot lower their body temperature back to where it should be,' an RSPCA spokesperson explained.

‘If the dog is heat distressed, this is considered an act of cruelty, and our inspectors can investigate,’ they added.

‘Symptoms of heat stress in dogs include panting, drooling and restlessness. Over time, they can become weak, and their gum colour can change. They may also begin to stagger and experience vomiting, diarrhoea or seizures,’ the spokesperson shared.

If you come across a pet in distress and cannot locate the owner, contact local police or RSPCA as soon as possible.

Here are the contact numbers of the organisation per state:

RSPCA Hotlines (1).jpg

It is advised to note down the car’s make, model and licence plate number or take a picture of it and, if possible, stay with the dog until help arrives.
Key Takeaways

• A shopper in Sydney allegedly left her dog in her car, drawing criticism from another woman who witnessed the event.
  • The woman stayed with the dog until the owner arrived 40 minutes later.
  • The incident sparked a debate on social media, with some defending the dog owner and others condemning the act as cruel and irresponsible.
  • The RSPCA stated that no matter the conditions, leaving a dog in an unattended car is dangerous, and signs of heat stress in dogs should be taken seriously; authorities should be contacted if a pet in distress is found.
What are your thoughts on this incident, members? Have you ever witnessed a similar situation? Share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
What's the point about calling the local police or the rspca if they don't respond ?
"Claire attempted to report the incident to both the police and the animal welfare organisation, the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA), but received no assistance."

I had similar do-gooders get on my case a few years ago. I left my dogs in my car which had air vents in both rear windows & it was parked on the ground floor of a 3 storey car park. When I heard about their carry-on I left what I was doing & went to my car. I drove out of the car park into the hot son & then back to my caravan which was like a furnace. It was heaps cooler in my car in the car park than where I had to take boys to when I left.

I found a dog which was obviously suffering from the heat, left outside tied up under a spindly bush with practically no water. What was there was a plastic bottle with a little inside of it. I sat with this poor dog, for ages while the Manager of this Club went to look for the owner. Nobody came forward. I came inside and at last two big-bellied men came out of the Gambling area, walked past me to the outside. I thought this might be them so followed them. When I saw that it was actually THEIR poor heat affected dog, (they hadn't the wit to even tie the poor thing up in the outside portico of the club.) I approched them, said 'Is this your dog?' 'Why what do YOU want to know for!' One of them said. I said that their dog was suffering from the heat, drooling, shaking yelping for help. The owner told me to 'Mind your own business, leave us along'. I didn't said to them 'You don't treat a dog like this if you own one, that's no way to show you love it.'. They man's buddy accosted me then and told me that the owner 'Thinks the world of his dog', so I said the same thing to him. They both started towards me aggressively. I'm only under 5 foot tall, land 77 years old. At this point the Manager came out and told them the same thing, stood up for me. He was younger and fitter than I, and these two 'pissed off' which is what the Manager said to them, and 'If you want to be allowed back here don't bring the dog.'. Off they went with a malicious backward look at me. My Sister was helping me but she's a year older than I, and I appreciate all that these good people did at the end. I hope never to see these louts (middle-aged) darken the door of this Club ever again. That's my story.

Reactions: Ezzy
I do not find this to be "disgusting behaviour", I would rather call it negligent behaviour. Disgusting would be more like the owner actually squatting beside the car and doing her own "business" there.

Reactions: AlanQ
I had similar do-gooders get on my case a few years ago. I left my dogs in my car which had air vents in both rear windows & it was parked on the ground floor of a 3 storey car park. When I heard about their carry-on I left what I was doing & went to my car. I drove out of the car park into the hot son & then back to my caravan which was like a furnace. It was heaps cooler in my car in the car park than where I had to take boys to when I left.
any photos of the hot son?