Woman devastated as online romance costs her life savings

As romance scams continue to rise throughout Australia, it's crucial to understand what to watch out for and how to protect yourself.

In a heart-wrenching turn of events, a distressing scam known as 'pig butchering' (inspired by the idea of 'fattening up' a victim before slaughter) has completely upended the life of a hopeful woman on a dating app.

What began as seemingly innocent digital exchanges with her suitor quickly spiralled into a series of unfortunate events, leaving one woman stripped of her life's savings—a staggering $157,000.

So, what happened? Let's dive more into the story.

Screenshot 2023-09-15 at 12.27.55 PM (1).png
A woman was fleeced of her life savings in a cruel ‘pig butchering’ dating scam. Credit: Shutterstock.

According to news sources, the woman, 44, from Sydney initially connected with a profile on an online dating app. After engaging in a promising conversation, they decided to move their chat to WhatsApp.

During their ongoing conversation, the man, with whom she had exchanged hundreds of messages, convinced her to venture into cryptocurrency trading—a side hobby he pursued alongside his construction work.

What made the situation seem legitimate was the fact that the profile appeared to belong to a real person, as it was 'verified'.

When they switched to WhatsApp, the phone number appeared to be Australian, too.

Her trust in the other person grew, leading her to create an account on the cryptocurrency exchange site CoinSpot, where she converted her money into digital currency.

She was also persuaded to conduct her currency trading on the MEXC platform, another reputable company. However, it was later revealed that the website she had been directed to was a fake.

Sadly, though, she did not realise it soon enough.

Looking back, she remembered that it has all the typical elements one would expect, including a customer service department, a rewards chart, and purported 'deals and profits' within her account.

Initially, the woman had reservations, but her 'lover' demonstrated a method where she could deposit a small amount of cash and withdraw it immediately. This reassured her, as she felt she could back out at any time if things turned sour.

'After that, I just transferred everything. I was adding $10,000, $20,000. I kept putting more in,' she told the news source.

The man even contributed to her account to 'boost' her profits.

However, this marked the beginning of a downward spiral. Her suspicions were aroused when they instructed her to withdraw everything, claiming that the 'good trading period was over'.

She was then informed that to access her money, she needed to provide a $40,000 security deposit. However, once she complied with this request, she was informed that she had to pay double that amount.

At this point, she had depleted her funds, so she emptied her redraw account and turned to a friend for a $40,000 loan, a decision she would regret deeply.

When she confronted her 'lover' about the money, they acted confused and eventually severed all communication with her.

Upon realising that she had fallen victim to a scam, she contacted the police, but the scammer's digital trail led them outside of Australia, rendering local authorities powerless to investigate.

The woman, who confessed she had always been meticulous about following the rules, now faced the daunting task of applying for a larger loan to repay her friend.

Although she had lost her savings, she was thankful that she hadn't lost 'everything'.

'I still have my property, and I still have my super. But, with $157,000 gone, I won't come back from this for years,' she said.

Key Takeaways

• A Sydney woman lost $157,000 to a dating scam called 'pig butchering'.
  • She was convinced by the scammer to trade cryptocurrency on fake sites, resulting in the loss of her life savings.
  • The scammer cut all contact with her after she made payments to withdraw her alleged earnings.
  • The victim is currently applying for an increased loan on her mortgage to pay back borrowed money.

We want to prevent stories like these from happening again, so we encourage all members to be cautious online. Don't hesitate to ask questions if something appears too good to be true.

If you ever feel unsure about your interactions on the internet, contact a trusted source, such as your bank or legal advisors. Remember, it's better to be safe than sorry.

If you have any tips or personal stories about romance scams, please share them with us in the comments below. Your experiences and insights can help protect others from falling into similar traps.

Sponsored
As romance scams continue to rise throughout Australia, it's crucial to understand what to watch out for and how to protect yourself.

In a heart-wrenching turn of events, a distressing scam known as 'pig butchering' (inspired by the idea of 'fattening up' a victim before slaughter) has completely upended the life of a hopeful woman on a dating app.

What began as seemingly innocent digital exchanges with her suitor quickly spiralled into a series of unfortunate events, leaving one woman stripped of her life's savings—a staggering $157,000.

View attachment 29986
A woman was fleeced of her life savings in a cruel ‘pig butchering’ dating scam. Credit: Shutterstock.

According to news sources, the woman, 44, from Sydney initially connected with a profile on an online dating app. After engaging in a promising conversation, they decided to move their chat to WhatsApp.

During their ongoing conversation, the man, with whom she had exchanged hundreds of messages, convinced her to venture into cryptocurrency trading—a side hobby he pursued alongside his construction work.

What made the situation seem legitimate was the fact that the profile appeared to belong to a real person, as it was 'verified'.

When they switched to WhatsApp, the phone number appeared to be Australian, too.

Her trust in the other person grew, leading her to create an account on the cryptocurrency exchange site CoinSpot, where she converted her money into digital currency.

She was also persuaded to conduct her currency trading on the MEXC platform, another reputable company. However, it was later revealed that the website she had been directed to was a fake.

Looking back, she remembered that it has all the typical elements one would expect, including a customer service department, a rewards chart, and purported 'deals and profits' within her account.

Initially, the woman had reservations, but her 'lover' demonstrated a method where she could deposit a small amount of cash and withdraw it immediately. This reassured her, as she felt she could back out at any time if things turned sour.

'After that, I just transferred everything. I was adding $10,000, $20,000. I kept putting more in,' she told the news source.

However, this marked the beginning of a downward spiral. Her suspicions were aroused when they instructed her to withdraw everything, claiming that the 'good trading period was over'.

She was then informed that to access her money, she needed to provide a $40,000 security deposit. However, once she complied with this request, she was informed that she had to pay double that amount.

At this point, she had depleted her funds, so she emptied her redraw account and turned to a friend for a $40,000 loan, a decision she would regret deeply.

When she confronted her 'lover' about the money, they acted confused and eventually severed all communication with her.

Upon realising that she had fallen victim to a scam, she contacted the police, but the scammer's digital trail led them outside of Australia, rendering local authorities powerless to investigate.

The woman, who confessed she had always been meticulous about following the rules, now faced the daunting task of applying for a larger loan to repay her friend.

Although she had lost her savings, she was thankful that she hadn't lost 'everything'.

'I still have my property, and I still have my super. But, with $157,000 gone, I won't come back from this for years,' she said.

Key Takeaways

• She was convinced by the scammer to trade cryptocurrency on fake sites, resulting in the loss of her life savings.
  • The scammer cut all contact with her after she made payments to withdraw her alleged earnings.
  • The victim is currently applying for an increased loan on her mortgage to pay back borrowed money.

We want to prevent stories like these from happening again, so we encourage all members to be cautious online. Don't hesitate to ask questions if something appears too good to be true.

If you ever feel unsure about your interactions on the internet, contact a trusted source, such as your bank or legal advisors. Remember, it's better to be safe than sorry.

If you have any tips or personal stories about romance scams, please share them with us in the comments below. Your experiences and insights can help protect others from falling into similar traps.
Some people only have Dollar signs before their eyes.

Stupid, stupid, stupid! How many years, not just months, have these scams been around and people are still falling for them, believing the scammer to be a genuine person with no ulterior motives???

I feel for her loss but not her stupidity.

As an older widowed woman who decided to get back into the dating scene, I can relate to what this poor lady encountered and believe me, this happens a lot to both men and women alike. It's cruel how these scammers prey on our vulnerability. Having now mastered the art of online dating and in particular recognising scammers I have written a book on the subject to help other women, who like me want to find a chapter two of happiness. If anyone would like a copy of my book it's called Kissing Toads - the Ultimate online dating toolbox for women over 50. If I can help at least one woman protect herself from the scammers I will have achieved something. Please feel free to take a look at my book It is available through www.juliegreig.com or a number of book stores, Kindle and Amazon.

Attachments

• Book Cover.JPG
    Book Cover.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Nichola and Bridgit

View attachment 29986

Key Takeaways

when do the stupid people learn. sorry no sympathy from this quarter. in future do not deal with PIGS,

Reactions: Leenie and Clogs
I think some of you guys are being Very Harsh towards the woman who was scammed. There are people who are ever so lonely don’t have any friends because they’ve lost their loved one & not coping with being on their own & will do almost anything to have a connection with someone. Yes she was silly for doing what she did BUT SHE ADMITS to that. She’s trying to warn others not to be taken for a ride like she was. I know how lonely you can get after losing your other half & then falling very ill ending up in hospital for months which adds to the loneliness you feel & would do ALMOST anything to change your situation. I lost Thousands of Dollars My Home Everything. I only blamed myself as I to thought I’d never be stupid enough to fall for scams. It was so called friends who scammed me people I’d known for years I never would have thought it of them to do to me what they did. I was lucky enough to know 1 person who stood by me & thanks to her I learnt to go on living. Yes I’d tried Suicide as I didn’t think life was worth living anymore. But that 1 person stood by me whilst I recovered. Got myself into a Nursing Home for Security & made friends in there. That built up my confidence to keep on living but I also learnt it doesn’t mean your a horrible person if you say no. Plus I don’t have very much at all & I won’t put my Bank details online at all so then nothing can be taken from me at all. Unfortunately I lost my friend that 1 person who helped me so much suddenly. She had a Brain Haemorrhage & never recovered. Because of her I know I’ll be alright.
SO PLEASE DON’T COME ON THAT LADY TO HARD as you don’t know what her Mental State is.

As an older widowed woman who decided to get back into the dating scene, I can relate to what this poor lady encountered and believe me, this happens a lot to both men and women alike. It's cruel how these scammers prey on our vulnerability. Having now mastered the art of online dating and in particular recognising scammers I have written a book on the subject to help other women, who like me want to find a chapter two of happiness. If anyone would like a copy of my book it's called Kissing Toads - the Ultimate online dating toolbox for women over 50. If I can help at least one woman protect herself from the scammers I will have achieved something. Please feel free to take a look at my book It is available through www.juliegreig.com or a number of book stores, Kindle and Amazon.
well done. a lesson learnt.

I think some of you guys are being Very Harsh towards the woman who was scammed. There are people who are ever so lonely don’t have any friends because they’ve lost their loved one & not coping with being on their own & will do almost anything to have a connection with someone. Yes she was silly for doing what she did BUT SHE ADMITS to that. She’s trying to warn others not to be taken for a ride like she was. I know how lonely you can get after losing your other half & then falling very ill ending up in hospital for months which adds to the loneliness you feel & would do ALMOST anything to change your situation. I lost Thousands of Dollars My Home Everything. I only blamed myself as I to thought I’d never be stupid enough to fall for scams. It was so called friends who scammed me people I’d known for years I never would have thought it of them to do to me what they did. I was lucky enough to know 1 person who stood by me & thanks to her I learnt to go on living. Yes I’d tried Suicide as I didn’t think life was worth living anymore. But that 1 person stood by me whilst I recovered. Got myself into a Nursing Home for Security & made friends in there. That built up my confidence to keep on living but I also learnt it doesn’t mean your a horrible person if you say no. Plus I don’t have very much at all & I won’t put my Bank details online at all so then nothing can be taken from me at all. Unfortunately I lost my friend that 1 person who helped me so much suddenly. She had a Brain Haemorrhage & never recovered. Because of her I know I’ll be alright.
SO PLEASE DON’T COME ON THAT LADY TO HARD as you don’t know what her Mental State is.
believe you me, you can be lonely living in the same house with someone.

I’m sorry that you’ve had to go through this scam by so-called ‘friends’. Please accept my words as coming from my heart. However, this on-line dating system has become so vile and so hard for innocent people looking for company and love that all I can say is “Please, please don’t go with it. Don’t part with ANY money without first meeting the person, in person, and going out with him or her for months before any of your hard earned money becomes involved.” I don’t know I’d cope if I lost my husband of a couple of weeks short of 56 years of marriage & 63 years of knowing him & him being my first and only love. I thank God every night for our lives together.

Reactions: Loubeauxarts
But this lady had a friend who would lend her $40,000 not many people could not say that! Why would you give money to an unregistered company - too many people are greedy and want a quick buck. This was never a "romantic" interlude as she had never met them.

Firstly. Cryptocurrencies are the biggest ever "Pyramid Schemes". They have NO Head Office, No Cash reserves, NO Product (either Manufactured, Farmed or Mined" and No Tangible Assets. They only exist by entrapping more Dumb and Greedy People.
Secondly. Please, Please do not GIVE your trust to ANYONE. They have to EARN it.

View attachment 29986

Key Takeaways

Even a Blonde couldn't be that daft

Reactions: Leenie
That comment of yours is not very polite of you. If you happen to be a very, very bald man how would you like it if people laughed at your bald head? And by the way, I am not a blonde, I am a brunette starting to show the grey now, but that is life for all of us. We have to deal what life gives us. I do think you need to apologise for your comment , but no doubt you will come back at me with some excuse why you shouldn’t.

That comment of yours is not very polite of you. If you happen to be a very, very bald man how would you like it if people laughed at your bald head? And by the way, I am not a blonde, I am a brunette starting to show the grey now, but that is life for all of us. We have to deal what life gives us. I do think you need to apologise for your comment , but no doubt you will come back at me with some excuse why you shouldn’t.
I’m sure it was just a tongue-in-cheek expression and not meant to be how it came across