Woman changes baby's diaper in aeroplane seat—you won't believe how this passenger reacted!

Every traveller has their fair share of uncomfortable moments. For flights, this can mean delays, cancellations, sudden turbulence, or loud passengers having conversations that don't stop. But what about having kids on board? Something like, say, a baby having their diaper changed right next to you in the seat?

Unfortunately, one passenger recently encountered exactly that—much to their shock.

The anonymous passenger, who posted on social media to get this off their chest, was seated behind a baby on a four-hour overnight flight.

octav-cado-2tkt_YGj0KQ-unsplash.jpg
A mum changed her baby’s diaper in the seat next to a passenger. Credit: Unsplash

The passenger said '[the baby] kept getting all worked up at various points, yelling incoherent toddler babble, kicking the back of my seat, sticking his feet up on my arm rest, and [excreting] his pants regularly.'

As if that wasn’t bad enough, the baby’s mum 'changed his diaper THREE times, IN the seat’. adding, 'She didn't bother taking him to the bathroom even though she was one row up from the very back of the plane, right near it. It stunk like hell.'

They also noted that another seated passenger who had brought a puppy on board, which had 'made zero noise the whole time’.

While still detailing their unfortunate experience, the passenger was making a serious point: 'These parents should either sedate their damn kids or just not be allowed to bring them on certain flights.'

Their story stirred many reactions from other users, with the majority of them agreeing that a plane bathroom is where nappy changes should take place (it should also be noted that the story was posted on a forum about child-free living).

'I feel like changing a diaper in a plane is some sort of biohazard??,' one user wrote.

paul-hanaoka-r3bZMKGjhZQ-unsplash.jpg
The passenger said that the mum didn’t bother to change the baby’s diaper in the bathroom. Credit: Unsplash

One user shared a horror story of their own: 'I was on a twelve-hour flight in a middle row of three with a toddler with a cold. Yep, snotty nose, crying, grabby hands and the whole nine yards.’

‘Two days later, I was sick as a dog, missed my vacation and couldn't work the whole time I was there.'

'I'd pay almost double for a child-free flight. I don't blame the kids, I blame the parents,' said one person, while another argued that the parents should be the ones paying double.

Another traveller also shared her experience when she was seated with a mum and her three-year-old child.

About 20 minutes into the flight, the kid was ‘stomping and screaming’ as he stood from his seat, and the mum was paying attention to her phone and not to her child. Read the story here to know what happened next.

These incidents were corroborated by a recent Nine.com.au survey, which found that the majority of respondents were for the introduction of child-free zones on planes. Two-thirds of the surveyed individuals agreed that certain areas of the cabin should be exclusively for adults.

Key Takeaways

• A passenger shared their discomfort on social media after a mother changed her baby's nappy in the seat next to them during a flight.
  • The passenger commented that the mother didn't bother taking the baby to the bathroom, and the incident resulted in a foul odour in the cabin.
  • Other users chimed in with their own experiences, agreeing that they would pay extra for child-free flights.
  • A recent Nine.com.au survey revealed that two-thirds of readers would support having child-free zones on aeroplanes.

Do you have a similar experience like the passenger in this story? Share your story with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Babies can be unpredictable, and it's essential for parents to manage their needs as best they can. While changing a diaper in a seat may not be ideal, sometimes it's necessary for the safety and comfort of the child. Hopefully, the airline staff were understanding and helped to address the situation. If you ever find yourself in a similar situation, it's a good idea to notify the flight attendants to see if they can assist. Also, if you're looking for tips or resources related to babies, you might find some valuable information online, like where to get free baby samples online to help with your little one's needs. Safe travels!