Why Today's Karl Stefanovic's latest on-air stunt has everyone talking

In recent years, we've seen a rise in the number of celebrities who are willing to perform stunts on national television that leave audiences both shocked and entertained. While some may see this as a cheap way to get attention, there's no denying that these stunts often make for must-see TV.

But when it comes to Today's Karl Stefanovic, his entire act's goal is to unquestionably grab viewers' attention after he took a two-week break from the program and had everyone wondering whether he would be off the show permanently.

Upon his return to the show on Monday, Karl stunned the audience and Today co-host, Allison Langdon, by taking off his clothes.

Well, for those who are curious, he didn't just randomly strip off on-air, he and his co-host were interviewing lawn bowls champion Aaron ‘Disco’ Wilson — the athlete who made headlines when he famously tore off his shirt in victory at the Commonwealth Games when the act was carried out.

Credit: Instagram/Today

During the segment, Aaron joked about wanting to rip off his shirt once again if given the opportunity, prompting the show to take a risqué turn where Karl began to slowly strip his clothes off while Ginuwine's ‘Pony’ was playing in the background.

The host said: 'You go first then I'll go,' to which Aaron replied with: 'Show me yours, I'll show you mine.'

Then, as he gently took off his jacket, Karl added, 'Go on.'

Aaron unbuttoned his jacket and removed it, prompting the host to take it a step further by untying his tie and taking it off before carefully releasing his shirt's buttons.

'Tell me when it's over!' Ally exclaimed, joking that Karl was 'taking too long'.

Karl then ripped his shirt open, leaving Ally screaming.

The two hosts laughed out loud before proceeding with the interview.

dJCivaGTvkoj0xna0MJCWCqSKCJz0aHU04yQldQSdr_NOwBYCBm0LuU1cnoBrm7wtFmT8hI3IGfXxLutn-j3FW7QZU2RjvYu7EFM1gnmnjWwN5HYntoZCTqoHp5i44gMg9KciOB4ocO5av-nvxcLMw

Karl Stefanovic surprised the viewers by stripping his clothes off on live television. Credit: Today.

Viewers expressed their delight for Karl's return to the show, with many praising him for making his comeback 'interesting'.

One person wrote: 'So good to have Karl back.'

'So good to have Karl back with Ally!' another exclaimed.

Others joked about Karl's stunt, with many saying that they wish they did not see it on live television.

One user said: 'Oh my gosh! It's like watching dad trying to be cool haha.'

'Please keep your shirt on, Karl!' another said.

A third chimed in: 'No one needs to see that omg!'

We think that Karl's act is a brilliant nod to the speculation that he will be off the show for good, letting everyone know that he is still a part of the Today family.

How about you? What are your thoughts on the stunt?

Sponsored
In recent years, we've seen a rise in the number of celebrities who are willing to perform stunts on national television that leave audiences both shocked and entertained. While some may see this as a cheap way to get attention, there's no denying that these stunts often make for must-see TV.

But when it comes to Today's Karl Stefanovic, his entire act's goal is to unquestionably grab viewers' attention after he took a two-week break from the program and had everyone wondering whether he would be off the show permanently.

Upon his return to the show on Monday, Karl stunned the audience and Today co-host, Allison Langdon, by taking off his clothes.

Well, for those who are curious, he didn't just randomly strip off on-air, he and his co-host were interviewing lawn bowls champion Aaron ‘Disco’ Wilson — the athlete who made headlines when he famously tore off his shirt in victory at the Commonwealth Games when the act was carried out.

During the segment, Aaron joked about wanting to rip off his shirt once again if given the opportunity, prompting the show to take a risqué turn where Karl began to slowly strip his clothes off while Ginuwine's ‘Pony’ was playing in the background.

The host said: 'You go first then I'll go,' to which Aaron replied with: 'Show me yours, I'll show you mine.'

Aaron unbuttoned his jacket and removed it, prompting the host to take it a step further by untying his tie and taking it off before carefully releasing his shirt's buttons.

'Tell me when it's over!' Ally exclaimed, joking that Karl was 'taking too long'.

dJCivaGTvkoj0xna0MJCWCqSKCJz0aHU04yQldQSdr_NOwBYCBm0LuU1cnoBrm7wtFmT8hI3IGfXxLutn-j3FW7QZU2RjvYu7EFM1gnmnjWwN5HYntoZCTqoHp5i44gMg9KciOB4ocO5av-nvxcLMw

Karl Stefanovic surprised the viewers by stripping his clothes off on live television. Credit: Today.

Viewers expressed their delight for Karl's return to the show, with many praising him for making his comeback 'interesting'.

Others joked about Karl's stunt, with many saying that they wish they did not see it on live television.

We think that Karl's act is a brilliant nod to the speculation that he will be off the show for good, letting everyone know that he is still a part of the Today family.

Welcome back Karl, and good on you for accepting the brief challenge. Obviously those dorks who found it bad for television are not regular viewers of Today.
What would have made me cringe would have been that dork who hosts Sunrise. I saw him once in a Port Adelaide beanie, and he looked like someone who had Botox.

It`s great having Karl back.. Sometimes the show can be a tad stodgy and boring but he livens it up and manages to bring a smile to my dial.

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
I'm a News Breakfast viewer, sorry but I don't want either Today or Sunrise in my loungeroom first thing in the morning. I want to know what is going on in the world, not just in the presenters world. I know that train of thought will upset or annoy some, all I can say is I'm glad we're not all the same.:)

Who has time to watch any TV in the mornings. Our TV doesn't get turned on until around 5.30p.m. When sitting in drs. waiting rooms often morning shows are on and I find them pretty boring and full of ads. Hosted by men who seem to think they are gods gift to the world and are condescending to their female counterpart.

Reactions: joshram and Ricci
I'm a News Breakfast viewer, sorry but I don't want either Today or Sunrise in my loungeroom first thing in the morning. I want to know what is going on in the world, not just in the presenters world. I know that train of thought will upset or annoy some, all I can say is I'm glad we're not all the same.:)
Very well said! Well done!

During my working days the TV in one area of my work environment was always on the Today show in the mornings. I personally regarded Karl Stefanovic as 'The Village Idiot'. At that time Lisa Wilkinson was the only good thing about the show.
Needless to say, since I retired I haven't watched any of the breakfast shows.​

Reactions: Petra and Ricci

Not this same inane story about that absolute loser!!! 🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: Ricci and Helenmac
I enjoy a good giggle for breakfast, sets the mood for a happy day...I hate boring sour puss shows in the morning,,Good onnyou Karl, who cares what your body is like we all know your no longer 21...love the laughter..

Reactions: Ricci
If I turn the TV on in the morning it is for a very good reason, not for prolonged windbagging and cheap tricks. Because this is mainly what you get, I find the radio a better proposition.

Reactions: Ricci