Why is everyone laughing at this tiny detail in Woolworths' charity promo?

Woolworths, one of Australia's leading supermarket chains, has long been known for its community initiatives and charitable contributions.

However, its latest charity promotion has left some customers chuckling and others shaking their heads in disbelief.

The retail giant recently launched a new line of plush toys representing some of Australia's most beloved wildlife, including a crocodile, cockatoo, emu, and wombat.

Priced at $18 each, Woolworths has pledged to donate 50 cents from the sale of each toy to WIRES, a well-known animal rescue group.

But this tiny detail has sparked a wave of ridicule and debate among shoppers.

Screenshot 2024-09-06 at 9.56.34 AM.png
Customers ridiculed Woolworths' ongoing charity promo. Credit: u/SunFlower_Following / Reddit a

The issue was not the act of charity itself but the proportion of the sale price being donated. Many customers feel that the 50-cent donation is laughably small, especially given the retail price of the toys.

A social media post that discussed the promotion quickly gained traction, with the original poster questioning, 'Correct me if I’m wrong, but this feels like [a] joke, 50 [cents] donated when I spend $18 on a toy. I appreciate the effort, but we can’t even make it to $1?'

The sentiment was echoed across social media platforms, with many suggesting that Woolworths, which reported hundreds of millions in profit last financial year, could afford to be more generous.

‘No reason for these not to be $20 and donate $2.50. No one needs to buy these, so might as well go up a bit,’ one suggested.

‘Woolworths in a nutshell, eh? WIRES seems like a good cause, though, if they pumped the donation rate to like $5 minimum, I'd probably pick up the plush crocodile,’ another quipped.

This controversy highlights the complex relationship Australians have with their major supermarkets. Woolworths and Coles, which together form a near duopoly, are scrutinised by the public much like celebrities or politicians.

In response to the debate, Woolworths emphasised its ongoing commitment to WIRES, saying, ‘We’re proud to have partnered with WIRES since 2020 and have donated more than $1.5 million since our partnership began.’

The supermarket's support for wildlife extends beyond selling plush toys; it also provides fresh food to registered wildlife carers and grants for specific dietary items needed by native animals.

In fact, since 2022, Woolworths has donated over 700 tonnes of food to help Australia's fauna.

Despite these efforts, wildlife advocates are calling on Woolworths to make further changes.

The supermarket is under pressure to remove certain rat poisons from its shelves, which are known to inadvertently kill predatory birds.

Additionally, Woolworths and Coles are being urged to stop labelling Tasmanian farmed salmon as 'sustainable' due to the negative impact on the endangered maugean skate.

On a positive note, Woolworths has been commended for its new beef sourcing policy, which aims to be completely deforestation-free by 2025—a move celebrated by Greenpeace as a 'big and significant step.'
Key Takeaways
  • Woolworths has launched a new plush toy line featuring iconic Australian animals, with 50 cents from each $18 toy sold being donated to WIRES.
  • Some shoppers and social media users have criticised the amount donated per toy as too little, given Woolworths' profits.
  • Woolworths has a long-standing partnership with WIRES, having donated more than $1.5 million to the wildlife charity since 2020 and also providing food for native animals.
  • Animal advocates are pressuring Woolworths to make changes in their product offerings related to wildlife conservation, such as stopping the sale of harmful rat poisons and unsustainable farmed salmon, while praising their new deforestation-free beef sourcing policy.
Do you think Woolworths should increase their donation per toy, or is the current amount sufficient? Have you purchased one of these plush toys, and if so, did the donation amount influence your decision? Share your opinions and experiences in the comments below!

Sponsored
I love to sew and I can tell you these are not worth $18.00 each.
Are they even Australian made ???????

Major rip off Woolies and the tinnie tiny amount being donated is a slap in the face.

I love to sew and I can tell you these are not worth $18.00 each.
Are they even Australian made ???????

Major rip off Woolies and the tinnie tiny amount being donated is a slap in the face.
What do you use to sew toys with NotNats? I used to sew teddy bears & have a lot of German made mohair to get rid of. My arthritic hands no longer allow me to sew as much, especially when it comes to bears 😢

WW wouldn't do this if there wasn't something in it for them The toys probably cost them $5.00 each and when the times comes to donate it'll be more like 10c per toy not the promised 50c. WW has shown us 1000 times they can't be trusted. If you want to donate, do so directly. At least you know your donation is going to the charity and not the bank account of WW.

Is it really Woolworth donating or is is actually coming out of our pockets in the scheme of things?
It's the customer paying. As if that business would not have added 'its' donation to its already marked up prices.

It's a rort in the disguise of corporate charity. Donate to worthy causes directly. Do not let this company take credit for what you have 'donated'.

No doubt WW will claim these "donations" on their own P & L accounts at the end of the financial year. More tax dollars dodged. Sick of these multis with their money grabbing ways. Skuzbuckets!

Just shows no matter what you are trying to do to to make everything a little better, there are always those that whinge. Just don’t bother giving 50cents Let them see how that goes.

Reactions: Viellarde
What do you use to sew toys with NotNats? I used to sew teddy bears & have a lot of German made mohair to get rid of. My arthritic hands no longer allow me to sew as much, especially when it comes to bears 😢
I'm the same I don't sew or crafting much these days either due to ill health but still do special items every now and then. Over the last two years I have been slowly giving a lot of stuff to local schools or seniors clubs as trying to sell my stuff and it was more problems than it's worth. Everyone wants everything for nothing these days and with all the nasties out there I'd rather choose who I am giving my stuff too. Sad for old crafter like us, as it feeI'm like Im losing a big part of what made me, me.

• Love
Reactions: PattiB
I'm the same I don't sew or crafting much these days either due to ill health but still do special items every now and then. Over the last two years I have been slowly giving a lot of stuff to local schools or seniors clubs as trying to sell my stuff and it was more problems than it's worth. Everyone wants everything for nothing these days and with all the nasties out there I'd rather choose who I am giving my stuff too. Sad for old crafter like us, as it feeI'm like Im losing a big part of what made me, me.
Sadly this is so. All the old crafts are going by the board with no one interested in keeping these old and beautiful procedures going. Knitting is now being touted as a stress relief method being taken up by men mainly - sewing a thing of the past, mending anything forget it, crochet some younguns into a "hippy vibe" are learning this. Quilting and patchwork - forget it. Cooking - nup, not when you can get every food delivered. Tragic isn't it?

• Love
Reactions: NotNats and PattiB
Sadly this is so. All the old crafts are going by the board with no one interested in keeping these old and beautiful procedures going. Knitting is now being touted as a stress relief method being taken up by men mainly - sewing a thing of the past, mending anything forget it, crochet some younguns into a "hippy vibe" are learning this. Quilting and patchwork - forget it. Cooking - nup, not when you can get every food delivered. Tragic isn't it?
Yes, you can get anything and everything delivered in the food line, but these are the same younger ones who are too lazy to cook themselves that do all the whingeing about everything being so expensive. They buy all the rubbish treats for their kids instead of saying ‘No’ occasionally then complain that chips, chocolate and lollies have gone up in price.

It’s so, so, funny hearing some of the younger generation talking about the great crochet, knitting etc skills that one can learn now! And the ways that one can cut time in the kitchen - us ‘oldies’ have all those skills from way, way back. If they’d listened and learned from their parents they’d be just as smart as us now.

I have NEVER had a meal delivered in 57 years of marriage, not even a pizza. You don’t get delivery for nothing, you have to pay a delivery fee so that’s a ‘fee for laziness’, not just a fee for convenience of the meal. My main hobby was folk art painting for myself only, not to sell, & I also had some of my photographs put on canvas (professionally though) and that is the only thing I would consider selling even if at reduced cost to initial outlay - mainly to tidy up my home.