Why Australia ‘isn't all it's cracked up to be’, according to this expat

We Aussies like to think of our country as the best place on earth – and in many ways, it is (totally unbiased opinion). But there are also some downsides, as with anywhere in the world.

An expat who's been living in Australia for some years has recently taken to Reddit to share their grievances about life Down Under – and their insights have sparked a lot of debate among locals.

‘I’ve lived in multiple other countries over the years (mainly in Asia) and always struggled to enjoy living in Australia,’ they wrote.

In particular, they criticised the high cost of living and the difficulty of travel. They also said it was hard to meet up with friends.

They added: ‘Basic activities like eating out or getting a drink with a friend instead of being a regular occurrence are luxuries we are lucky to do once a week or a couple of times a month and are a logistical nightmare. And the quality rarely matches the price.’

pexels-photo-8436835.jpg
The expat complained about the high cost of living needed to live in Australia (Melbourne, VIC). Credit: Pexels/John Simmons

In comparison, the expat praised Asia for its affordability, accessible public transport and an array of high-quality dining options. They said eating out was common there too.

‘In Australia, we have access to good jobs and high incomes but it feels like we traded everything else that makes life enjoyable for it.’

‘We live in golden handcuffs in suburbia spending most of our time in our houses looking forward to the next time we can afford to do something outside.’

For the most part, many users who saw the post said that while the original poster (OP) did have valid points, living in Australia isn’t so bad.

The top comment was quick to point out the OP’s perspective: ‘You're describing living as an Australian abroad. For us born in poverty abroad, the experience is totally s***. Life here in Australia is miles better and opportunities for work are overflowing, you just have to see things through another lens.’

Another top commenter, apparently an Indian expat, gave his insight: ‘I live on the Gold Coast and have lived in Melbourne. There are things I miss about India, but it’s mostly specific people and specific places.’

‘The quality of life is orders of magnitude better here. Everywhere is so clean. Our taxes actually result in good roads, pristine waters and forests, and healthcare for everyone.’

‘From where I am, it’s 5 minutes to the water, 20 minutes to mountains, and across the street to a conservation forest. I see extraordinary animals all the time, literally in my backyard.’

Despite the rosy depiction, the Indian expat did admit personal relationships were a bit lacking. However, he said it was all a small price to pay for their present comfort.

‘My family is happy… that’s all that matters,’ he ended.

pexels-photo-777059.jpg
Singapore is among the top choices in Asia for Aussie expats. Credit: Pexels/Kin Pastor

As for other reactions… Perhaps it’s safe to say some found the post objectionable, to say the least.

One user reacted: ‘I’m an Aussie and I lived in Europe 10 years ago. Had a great time, but nothing beats Oz! Where have you lived in Australia? If you’re basing your opinion on living in Sydney or Melbourne, you have to remember there is a big wide country out there with all sorts of different living conditions and experiences.’

Key Takeaways

• A long-term expat has sparked a debate by sharing a long list of reasons on why they dislike living in Australia.
  • In a Reddit post, they said it was difficult to meet with friends and also criticised house prices, as well as the cost of eating out or getting a drink.
  • In comparison, they praised Asia and said it was affordable, while eating out was both high quality and cheap.
  • The comments triggered an avalanche of responses with many agreeing that Australia is not all it's cracked up to be.
  • However, others were more supportive of the country, praising its quality of life and saying that it is a great place to live.
‘Sounds like a big part of the problem is you’ve just been on a relatively good income (relative to the local average) in the countries you’ve lived abroad, but a relatively average income in Australia,’ another observed.

According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics, as of 2021, 29.1% or about 7.5 million people of the country’s population were born abroad.

Speaking of expats and Aussies, be sure to check out the story of this British expat surprised by our behaviour, or this American expat who took to TikTok to share her biggest ‘culture shocks’ after moving Down Under.

So, what do you think of this story, members? Has this expat who’s experienced life here and abroad gotten carried away idealising their experience overseas?

Or do you agree that living in Australia has lost its lustre?

Do share your thoughts and opinions with us below!

Source: YouTube/Living Simply Australia

Sponsored
We Aussies like to think of our country as the best place on earth – and in many ways, it is (totally unbiased opinion). But there are also some downsides, as with anywhere in the world.

An expat who's been living in Australia for some years has recently taken to Reddit to share their grievances about life Down Under – and their insights have sparked a lot of debate among locals.

‘I’ve lived in multiple other countries over the years (mainly in Asia) and always struggled to enjoy living in Australia,’ they wrote.

In particular, they criticised the high cost of living and the difficulty of travel. They also said it was hard to meet up with friends.

They added: ‘Basic activities like eating out or getting a drink with a friend instead of being a regular occurrence are luxuries we are lucky to do once a week or a couple of times a month and are a logistical nightmare. And the quality rarely matches the price.’

View attachment 7385
The expat complained about the high cost of living needed to live in Australia (Melbourne, VIC). Credit: Pexels/John Simmons

In comparison, the expat praised Asia for its affordability, accessible public transport and an array of high-quality dining options. They said eating out was common there too.

‘In Australia, we have access to good jobs and high incomes but it feels like we traded everything else that makes life enjoyable for it.’

‘We live in golden handcuffs in suburbia spending most of our time in our houses looking forward to the next time we can afford to do something outside.’

For the most part, many users who saw the post said that while the original poster (OP) did have valid points, living in Australia isn’t so bad.

The top comment was quick to point out the OP’s perspective: ‘You're describing living as an Australian abroad. For us born in poverty abroad, the experience is totally s***. Life here in Australia is miles better and opportunities for work are overflowing, you just have to see things through another lens.’

Another top commenter, apparently an Indian expat, gave his insight: ‘I live on the Gold Coast and have lived in Melbourne. There are things I miss about India, but it’s mostly specific people and specific places.’

‘The quality of life is orders of magnitude better here. Everywhere is so clean. Our taxes actually result in good roads, pristine waters and forests, and healthcare for everyone.’

‘From where I am, it’s 5 minutes to the water, 20 minutes to mountains, and across the street to a conservation forest. I see extraordinary animals all the time, literally in my backyard.’

Despite the rosy depiction, the Indian expat did admit personal relationships were a bit lacking. However, he said it was all a small price to pay for their present comfort.

View attachment 7386
Singapore is among the top choices in Asia for Aussie expats. Credit: Pexels/Kin Pastor

As for other reactions… Perhaps it’s safe to say some found the post objectionable, to say the least.

One user reacted: ‘I’m an Aussie and I lived in Europe 10 years ago. Had a great time, but nothing beats Oz! Where have you lived in Australia? If you’re basing your opinion on living in Sydney or Melbourne, you have to remember there is a big wide country out there with all sorts of different living conditions and experiences.’

Key Takeaways

• A long-term expat has sparked a debate by sharing a long list of reasons on why they dislike living in Australia.
  • In a Reddit post, they said it was difficult to meet with friends and also criticised house prices, as well as the cost of eating out or getting a drink.
  • In comparison, they praised Asia and said it was affordable, while eating out was both high quality and cheap.
  • The comments triggered an avalanche of responses with many agreeing that Australia is not all it's cracked up to be.
  • However, others were more supportive of the country, praising its quality of life and saying that it is a great place to live.
‘Sounds like a big part of the problem is you’ve just been on a relatively good income (relative to the local average) in the countries you’ve lived abroad, but a relatively average income in Australia,’ another observed.

According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics, as of 2021, 29.1% or about 7.5 million people of the country’s population were born abroad.

Speaking of expats and Aussies, be sure to check out the story of this British expat surprised by our behaviour, or this American expat who took to TikTok to share her biggest ‘culture shocks’ after moving Down Under.

So, what do you think of this story, members? Has this expat who’s experienced life here and abroad gotten carried away idealising their experience overseas?

I'm afraid it has lost it's lustre to a certain extent , but I think that's due to political aspects. I have lived in four countries none of them being in Asia where I'd have the advantage of cheap eats. Having said that I first came to Australia in 1958 from the UK, (another pommy bastard I hear in the background he says lightheartedly,) but I remember my father telling an official in Australia House why when asked he wanted to come Australia with his family and his reply was I have seven children who need work. A situation that hadn't changed much the last time I was there.

Reactions: Ricci and RTS
I have to say that had I known in 1969 when I emigrated what Australia was going to be like in 2022 I would never have come. Oz was one of the best places on earth then, even if you weren't rich. But today you have to be wealthy to survive, otherwise you're doomed to live in poverty. Back then, there was an implicit agreement with the government: pay your tax and when you retire you'll get a living pension. But nobody can tell me when there was last a real increase in the pension. Sure we get cost of living adjustments, but that just keeps us in poverty. Eat out at a restaurant? Ha, not a chance. Medical attention if you need it? Sure if you wait several years for a simple operation. No, Aussie not only has lost its shine, it's covered in rust.

• Sad
Reactions: Lotty and Ricci
The low standard of living in Asian countries accounts for cheap eating out. When air fares are added to the cost of any holiday it's just as cheap to eat out in Australia. However the expat is welcome to go home, or move to Asia, or continue whinging as their default mode.

Australia isn't as good as it used to be because we have become a whinging, self centred bunch. I was born here and I am from Australian parents so I have not had any outside influence regarding what other places are like. But over the last 10 years we have become like a third world country without the extreme poverty like overseas. We are getting there though with the homeless, the high prices of rent and hardly any manufacturing in Australia. We haven't gone forwards we have gone backwards in the lifestyle and manufacturing department which is such a shame. I used to be a proud Aussie but now I am a bit embarrassed to tell anyone I am Australian

Moving to a new country is done 95% in your head. You have to acknowledge that things are done differently and embrace them. If you are always looking back to "home" you will never settle and be able to truly enjoy life. I left the UK some 39 years ago and have never been back. I know what it's like there, I lived there for the first 29 years of my life and experienced life to the full. This new place called Australia was full of promise, it was up to me to take up the challenge and run with it. If instead of difficulties you saw opportunities your life would change immensely. Can't eat out at a fancy restaurant - make your own. Tell your friends you will be at such and such park or beach or wherever, fire up a barbie and cook your own gourmet tucker, make up a cricket/footy/whatever team and have some fun followed by good food and conversations. You might have to do it a couple of times before everyone hears about it and wants to join in but it'd be good.:)

Reactions: Luckyus and Iggydi
I have been many places throughout the world andn have found Australia is a great place to live. It is however bercoming a handout economy through NDIS, the child care scam, taxpayers looking after other peoples kids, the dole for people addicted to computer games etc. sit down money, millions handed over for sport when people go hungry. We will end up like Greece where they almost went broke trying to support every cause.

• Sad
Reactions: Luckyus and Ricci

View attachment 7385

View attachment 7386

Key Takeaways

just

Yes Australia is definitely not like it was years ago

Reactions: Luckyus and Ricci

View attachment 7385

View attachment 7386

Key Takeaways

Moving to a new country is done 95% in your head. You have to acknowledge that things are done differently and embrace them. If you are always looking back to "home" you will never settle and be able to truly enjoy life. I left the UK some 39 years ago and have never been back. I know what it's like there, I lived there for the first 29 years of my life and experienced life to the full. This new place called Australia was full of promise, it was up to me to take up the challenge and run with it. If instead of difficulties you saw opportunities your life would change immensely. Can't eat out at a fancy restaurant - make your own. Tell your friends you will be at such and such park or beach or wherever, fire up a barbie and cook your own gourmet tucker, make up a cricket/footy/whatever team and have some fun followed by good food and conversations. You might have to do it a couple of times before everyone hears about it and wants to join in but it'd be good.
I have been many places throughout the world andn have found Australia is a great place to live. It is however bercoming a handout economy through NDIS, the child care scam, taxpayers looking after other peoples kids, the dole for people addicted to computer games etc. sit down money, millions handed over for sport when people go hungry. We will end up like Greece where they almost went broke trying to support every cause.
I emigrated 38 years ago from Birmingham UK and took quite a time to settle but now would not live anywhere else. I was helped along by true Australians down in Bunbury WA and they helped me and my family to enter the Australia way of life which was completely different, Wonderful country
: YouTube/Living Simply Australia

View attachment 7385

View attachment 7386

Key Takeaways

REALLY, you have to be kidding Australia is heaven 😍 Compared to Overseas Countries. Just a few facts, which sets us apart from Asian countries, Beware these are a bit confronting
1 Toilets
2 Lack of corrupt Police departments
3 Great education institutes
4 A fair medical system
5 Clean public areas where our Children can play. Sounds like a place I could raise family oh how silly of me I have luv ❤️ to you all have a Great day, an Australian man

Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 7385

View attachment 7386

Key Takeaways

Simple move back to Asia Australia 🇦🇺 won't miss you

Reactions: Ricci