Why are customers upset over this huge change at Kmart?—‘Make it make sense’

Kmart’s popular range of affordable and quality items has been a hit with customers for years.

However, the retail giant has recently made a major change that has shoppers up in arms.

One Gold Coast customer named Clauds took to social media to share her disappointment over Kmart’s decision to package earrings in plastic wrapping.

photo 1 (2).jpg
Kmart wraps its earrings in plastic despite the rolling out of the use of paper bags in-store. Image source: TikTok/@claudiashops.

'Kmart, I’m so angry with you,' Clauds said.

'You start rolling out those paper bags, but you’ve started covering your earrings in plastic. Make it make sense to me, please.'

Many customers suggested that the change had likely been made due to the high theft rates connected to the earrings range in particular.

photo 2.jpg
Some users say this may be due to the high theft rates in-store. Image source: TikTok/@claudiashops.

'Everyone keeps stealing earrings, I feel like I never see a full set anymore,' said one social media user.

'People also do it with rings,' a second shared.

While a third suggested: 'If they wanted to prevent losing earrings or having them stolen, they could always put them in a plastic box and unlock them, and people go to buy them.'

Some Kmart employees commented on the video and explained: ‘Former Kmart employee here…They come like that when they get delivered to us, and we are supposed to take them out of the plastic before shelving them.’

And another said: ‘It takes so long to take them off too!’

You can watch the full video below:

A spokesperson for Kmart is reportedly taking the customer’s feedback into consideration.

'We appreciate our customers giving us feedback, as we know we have a responsibility to reduce our impact by increasing our packaging recyclability as well as phasing out problematic plastics,' said the spokesperson.

'We’ve passed this customer’s feedback directly on to our team at Kmart.'

This isn’t the first time customers have been up in arms due to plastic-wrapped items being sold at big retail stores.

In a similar situation, when news emerged of plastic-wrapped cucumbers being sold at a Woolworths store in Canberra, Australian journalist James Massola expressed his disappointment in the use of plastic packaging despite Woolworths banning single-use plastic bags.

‘I think the ACT government's plastic bag ban was a terrific decision. But the decision by Woolworths to individually plastic-wrap cucumbers (and some other vegetables) defeats the purpose of a plastic ban. Also, why on earth do cucumbers need to be wrapped?’ Massola questioned in his post.

However, as people began to discuss the matter, a range of other opinions arose, with some shoppers defending the store’s behaviour and explaining the reasoning behind the plastic wrapping.

You can read more about this story here!
Key Takeaways
  • Kmart has introduced plastic packaging for its earrings range, prompting negative responses from customers.
  • A customer on the Gold Coast shared her frustration on social media, questioning why the change was made when Kmart has recently introduced environmentally friendly paper bags.
  • A Kmart spokesperson stated that the company appreciates customer feedback, acknowledging their responsibility to reduce their environmental impact.
  • Some social media users suggested that increased theft rates could be a motivating factor behind the introduction of plastic packaging.
Members, what do you think? Is Kmart’s decision to package their accessories range in plastic smart or unnecessary? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

• Wow
Reactions: Tervueren
Sponsored
Kmart’s popular range of affordable and quality items has been a hit with customers for years.

However, the retail giant has recently made a major change that has shoppers up in arms.

One Gold Coast customer named Clauds took to social media to share her disappointment over Kmart’s decision to package earrings in plastic wrapping.

View attachment 29411
Kmart wraps its earrings in plastic despite the rolling out of the use of paper bags in-store. Image source: TikTok/@claudiashops.

'You start rolling out those paper bags, but you’ve started covering your earrings in plastic. Make it make sense to me, please.'

Many customers suggested that the change had likely been made due to the high theft rates connected to the earrings range in particular.

View attachment 29412
Some users say this may be due to the high theft rates in-store. Image source: TikTok/@claudiashops.

'Everyone keeps stealing earrings, I feel like I never see a full set anymore,' said one social media user.

While a third suggested: 'If they wanted to prevent losing earrings or having them stolen, they could always put them in a plastic box and unlock them, and people go to buy them.'

Some Kmart employees commented on the video and explained: ‘Former Kmart employee here…They come like that when they get delivered to us, and we are supposed to take them out of the plastic before shelving them.’

A spokesperson for Kmart is reportedly taking the customer’s feedback into consideration.

'We appreciate our customers giving us feedback, as we know we have a responsibility to reduce our impact by increasing our packaging recyclability as well as phasing out problematic plastics,' said the spokesperson.

This isn’t the first time customers have been up in arms due to plastic-wrapped items being sold at big retail stores.

In a similar situation, when news emerged of plastic-wrapped cucumbers being sold at a Woolworths store in Canberra, Australian journalist James Massola expressed his disappointment in the use of plastic packaging despite Woolworths banning single-use plastic bags.

‘I think the ACT government's plastic bag ban was a terrific decision. But the decision by Woolworths to individually plastic-wrap cucumbers (and some other vegetables) defeats the purpose of a plastic ban. Also, why on earth do cucumbers need to be wrapped?’ Massola questioned in his post.

However, as people began to discuss the matter, a range of other opinions arose, with some shoppers defending the store’s behaviour and explaining the reasoning behind the plastic wrapping.

Key Takeaways

• Kmart has introduced plastic packaging for its earrings range, prompting negative responses from customers.
  • A customer on the Gold Coast shared her frustration on social media, questioning why the change was made when Kmart has recently introduced environmentally friendly paper bags.
  • A Kmart spokesperson stated that the company appreciates customer feedback, acknowledging their responsibility to reduce their environmental impact.
  • Some social media users suggested that increased theft rates could be a motivating factor behind the introduction of plastic packaging.
Members, what do you think? Is Kmart’s decision to package their accessories range in plastic smart or unnecessary? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Made in China - a country that does not care about climate change.

View attachment 29411

View attachment 29412

Key Takeaways

Germs. people sticking earrings thru their ears willy nilly. YUCK

View attachment 29411

View attachment 29412

Key Takeaways

Germs. people trying earrings through their ears. YUCK

germs. people trying on earrings. yuck

View attachment 29411

View attachment 29412

Key Takeaways

View attachment 29411

View attachment 29412

Key Takeaways

yuck germs trying on earrings. is it not cellophane used.

Reactions: Cool Lynda
Anko, the Chinese brand exclusively sold in Kmart, has its clothing manufacturing base in Xinjiang. There have been reports of their factories using slave labour such as by SBS in July 2019.

I don't give two hoots if earrings come in paper bags or lead lined boxes, the big concern is the use of slave labour, mainly Uyghur muslims in factories where some clothes I wear are manufactured.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: Tervueren and 52KID
germs. people trying on earrings. yuck

yuck germs trying on earrings. is it not cellophane used.
Years ago, Mum bought two woollen jumpers on sale. Tried one on for size then grabbed another in a different colour. Got home and found that the second one stunk of onion infused body odour. Back to the store it went.

I always take a product from the back of the display, whether it be milk, meat, soft drink or clothes. Better chance of not being contaminated. I once witnessed a very disturbing case of tainting apples. It was disgusting.

When I was growing up jewellery was kept in show cases and you had a person who served you. But gone are the days of service.
No matter if they are loose or bagged that won't change the stealing.
All my earrings were always disinfected before use.