When does it really begin to look like Christmas? From one mum to another

Yuletide season is just around the corner as the ‘ber months are well underway.

With stores such as Kmart, Coles, Woolworths, and Big W already filling up their stocks for the holiday festivities, many shoppers are keen to bring the Christmas spirit to their homes.

A certain eager mum posted on Facebook and asked the question: “Curious as to when everyone starts putting up Christmas decor?”, thus starting a long thread of comments, with everyone sharing different opinions on when it is the right time to put up decorations.

Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 3.04.35 pm.png
When are you going to start putting up Christmas decorations this year? Photo credit: Moretti Interior Design.

Most comments have said that December really is the time for Christmas. Hence, many put up their stuff on the first day of the month.

“I feel like if it’s up before December, Christmas drags and takes forever,” one person said. “1st December. Anything before that is a sin!”, another added.
Some even claimed it was bad luck to put up anything before December. “Always been the 1st of December in my family, they say it's bad luck to do it any earlier.”

Another school of thought said that after Halloween is an ideal time to bring out the decorations for the next season. The first two weeks of November seem like a good time for them, with one saying, “I like to decorate for Halloween trick or treating first… then I put Christmas up the following weekend.”

Another person even reasoned that they can’t help themselves and “refuse to accept the idea that Christmas decorations only get to be up for 1 month.”

Some Aussies even time it with their local events such as the Adelaide Christmas Pageant which usually happens on the second Saturday of November.

Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 3.04.46 pm.png
Is October too early to start putting up decorations? Photo credit:GettyImages.

With the way the years have gone and are going, there really is no such thing as the right time for something as wholesome as the family bonding over decorating for Christmas. “Do it whenever you want if it brings some joy,” a person commented, encapsulating the feeling everyone has with the occasion.

When are you going to start putting up your Christmas decorations this year?

Sponsored
I put my outside lights up and other decorations from the first f December then down again on the 6th Jan except for the lights which remain until the end of Jan. Each year it's gets harder, and compared to the past merely a token display now. I don't know how Halloween got into the discussion.. that's for the Americans, I know some have taken it up here but I don't like it. :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: Jonathan Leane
I'm with Vinylted 1st of December to 6th of January (12th night) to have them up at any other time they are just decorations.
I don't decorate for Halloween, but I do celebrate it (it's my birthday)