SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Sethia Soliman

Sethia Soliman

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2022
What’s the origin of your name?

Why, hello there! If you're here, then chances are you're keen to join us for this week's get-to-know-each-other session. And as you may already know, the question is... What's the origin of your name?

It's quite funny, but plenty of members actually get my name, Sethia, wrong often! But don't worry, it's never a big deal to me when it does happen as I do think it's a pretty unusual name to have as well... And I have no one else but my parents to blame (I'm kidding). I sometimes get called Serbia, Cynthia, Sophia, and even Crystal in real life! :ROFLMAO: And this question always comes up in introductions, so I'm here to share the story. When my mum was pregnant with me, she fell in love with Nicholas Cage's character in the City of Angels, who was named 'Seth'.

cityofangels-1522173094.jpg
Nicholas Cage played 'Seth' in City of Angels. Source: ELLE

So, yes... She was hoping I would be a boy. Then, she unexpectedly gave birth to a little girl. Being the little rebel that I am - I completely caught her off guard, and they had to come up with a name that was a little more feminine. In the end, they just decided to add a letter 'i' and 'a' at the end of 'Seth'. And alas, that's how my name came about! How about you? I'd love to hear the story behind your name too.

Please feel free to tell us all about your name's origin in the comments below. We're looking forward to hearing from you! :love:

Why, hello there! If you're here, then chances are you're keen to join us for this week's get-to-know-each-other session. And as you may already know, the question is... What's the origin of your name?

It's quite funny, but plenty of members actually get my name, Sethia, wrong often! But don't worry, it's never a big deal to me when it does happen as I do think it's a pretty unusual name to have as well... And I have no one else but my parents to blame (I'm kidding). I sometimes get called Serbia, Cynthia, Sophia, and even Crystal in real life! :ROFLMAO: And this question always comes up in introductions, so I'm here to share the story. When my mum was pregnant with me, she fell in love with Nicholas Cage's character in the City of Angels, who was named 'Seth'.

View attachment 16950

So, yes... She was hoping I would be a boy. Then, she unexpectedly gave birth to a little girl. Being the little rebel that I am - I completely caught her off guard, and they had to come up with a name that was a little more feminine. In the end, they just decided to add a letter 'i' and 'a' at the end of 'Seth'. And alas, that's how my name came about! How about you? I'd love to hear the story behind your name too.

Please feel free to tell us all about your name's origin in the comments below. We're looking forward to hearing from you! :love:
My name is Maxine. It is the feminine of Latin origin.

Mine is a very common name, Maria!! Apparently is from latin and Hebrew origin and very popular for girls in Europe and Latin America.
There are different meanings for the name: “bitter sea,” “strong waters,” ”star of the sea,” “exalted one,” “wished for child,” and “beautiful,” 😊
I wonder which suits me personally 🤔🤔

My first name is Julia which means youthful and soft haired. My dad chose my name.
My middle name is Theresa which is my mother's name.
My surname is Haffenden which is from the south east of England. There is a village in Kent called Haffenden.

Reactions: RTS and Ricci

View attachment 16950

My first name is an Irish name - Beresford and was originally a surname. I have been able to trace the name back many hundreds of years. It appears that at one time one line of Beresfords had no sons to pass on the surname so it was adopted as a Christian name for the eldest daughter and so the name progressed from there. My surname is definitely Irish - from County Meath.

Last edited:

View attachment 16950

As far as I know, the name Amanda was made up in the 17th century, and it's based on those latin "ami" words that mean "love". Ha ha, I just googled it, and apparently it comes from the name "Miranda", which really annoys me, because I keep thinking of those scenes from "Picnic at Hanging Rock" where those schoolgirls are drifting about the haunted rock, bleating "Miranda…Miranda…" blah!

I wish I had some exciting, romantic story about some beloved great-something relative that I was named for, but really my folks were inspired by a silly song. It was only a few years ago, during a binge of watching old Christmas movies, that I bumped into the song, which is in the movie "White Christmas." I mean, I'm on board for having a name that was in a Christmas movie, but sheesh! Those lyrics! Also, there are only 2 people who ever dared call me "Mandy" and they're both dead now. Just stating a fact there.

This is a great Question, as I asked myself the same one a couple of years back.
Pink comes from the sound of a Blacksmith on his anvil evidently, its the pink pink sound you hear when a blacksmith strikes an anvil, that named it. I looked up blacksmiths of the time to see what sort of a character line I came from and that was so hilarious I won't go into it ,except to say that the Pinks do seem to have remained a very free-spirited lot.

My mothers name was Dot, so I guess you could say I came from a pink dot which really is hilarious to think about. My father's line got here early, but more so my mums, who was a cook and they arrived here on the HMS Harriet in about1776 when My Great great grandfather's cousin Captain James Cook, told him a new settlement was starting and they needed carriage builders and evidently that's how that happened.

Thats my great great great aunty on the Australian $100.00 bill. It's always cool to know that I have a relative connection to money even though I may not be in the money, it's always nice to see a distant relative on it.

I actually horrified the manager of the commonwealth bank years ago, when he momentarily took over teller duties at my window. I identified my connection to money during our transaction, and asked if he had the legal documentation that allows my great great great aunties image to be used on your business literature?

He looked horrified and I said with a laugh I'm joking. He said geeeze, you scared me for a minute their, ha ha ha

That was a really Great Question! I liked writing that down as I'd not done so before, it was very stimulating. Thank you, guys, what a great Question

Now, where to start! My birth name was Lesley but when I was adopted at age 3 my new parents didn't like it so for some totally unknown reason thought Heather would be more appropriate, named after the flower. My Dad who was gardening mad and in fact was a horticultural show judge took great pride in the fact that Heather is part of the Erica family of flowers and so Erica became totally interchangeable with Heather. Erica then became changed to Ricci and that stuck through the years. So, long story short, I answer to most things so long as it's not rude!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Well I am Vernia ... named after a shipwreck. Apparently the Cunard Liner "Ivernia" was requisitioned as a troop carrier during the 1st World War. My Great Uncle, Jack Stokes, was on board as a soldier when the ship was torpedoed off the coast of Greece on New Year's Day 1917. Uncle Jack survived. However, when my mother was born she was named Mary Ivernia (Miller). She quite liked the name, though thought it was a bit "bulky" so she removed the "I" , and when I was born I was named Vernia.

Attachments

• 101 My namesake the Ivernia.gif
    101 My namesake the Ivernia.gif
    450 KB · Views: 0
My name is Noeline which is of French origin meaning born at Christmas. I was a week late! The proper pronunciation is not how it is spoken here - it should be No Elle line. Much nicer than the common nowl lean. At school I was called Lorraine by my Head Mistress so one time I got detention and didn’t turn up. She still didn’t get my name right. 🤪🤣

I was named after both my grandmothers .First name Mina and middle name Gezina . But they never called me like that . From those names they called me Yasmine. The origin is Dutch.