SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Vella Gonzaga

Vella Gonzaga

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 23, 2021
What's something you've done in the past that you wouldn't want to do again?

Hey everyone,

Oh, it’s so good to be back! How was your Easter weekend? I hope you all had a wonderful long weekend filled with love, laughter, and lots of delicious treats! Me? I had an amazing time, and I'm feeling grateful for all the memories I made.

I tried new things, explored new places, and had a blast! Aside from doing the Easter egg hunt with my family, my friends and I also went on an all-girls camping trip. We went to this breathtaking camping location in the mountains, and the views were absolutely stunning. Going there meant you needed to drive through a rough road for 2 hours, but it turned into a 4-hour mission because we brought a sedan on the road meant for 4x4 vehicles only! Needless to say, it's now on my ‘never again’ list (the wrong choice of car, of course, not the camping part). But despite the stressful drive, it was worth it once we arrived.

It got me thinking, though, what are some things you've done in the past that you wouldn't want to do again? Let's make an anti-bucket list! Share your stories and experiences in the forum here. I can't wait to read your stories!

Reactions: Ricci

Hey everyone,

Oh, it’s so good to be back! How was your Easter weekend? I hope you all had a wonderful long weekend filled with love, laughter, and lots of delicious treats! Me? I had an amazing time, and I'm feeling grateful for all the memories I made.

I tried new things, explored new places, and had a blast! Aside from doing the Easter egg hunt with my family, my friends and I also went on an all-girls camping trip. We went to this breathtaking camping location in the mountains, and the views were absolutely stunning. Going there meant you needed to drive through a rough road for 2 hours, but it turned into a 4-hour mission because we brought a sedan on the road meant for 4x4 vehicles only! Needless to say, it's now on my ‘never again’ list (the wrong choice of car, of course, not the camping part). But despite the stressful drive, it was worth it once we arrived.

It got me thinking, though, what are some things you've done in the past that you wouldn't want to do again? Let's make an anti-bucket list! Share your stories and experiences in the forum here. I can't wait to read your stories!

Camping at night while crossing the Nullabor in 40+ degree heat! It was bad enough driving all day with the car windows shut and the aircon cranking at full tilt but to pull in at night, erect the tent while absolutely wrung out only to try unsuccessfully to sleep when the temperature hasn't dropped below 38 is just sheer madness. You have no idea how lovely it was to get a motel room after 4 nights camping and 5 days driving, a cool shower, clean crisp sheets, air-conditioning and a proper meal, absolute bliss! ;)

Hiking or even just visiting these days, at elevations above 3000 metres. All my movements were slowed down, felt like I was moving through thick dense liquid, except for my breathing which was laboured.

Reactions: Vio Kot and Ricci
This will sound weird but if I knew my future at 60odd back when I was 16 there are only one thing I would never do and that is to have kids. Don't get me wrong, I love both my children and my five grandkids with all my heart. But the question remains "what my life would be like if I didn't have them"

I have so many answers to this question Ricci, that it would take a book series and I would no doubt end up being a stage act to recount them all. But here's one.

I went gold prospecting out the back of Charters towers years ago with a mate by following the old National stock route. I was in an old Commer campervan and Rob a mate at that time was in his long wheelbase Nissan, towing a caravan with wife and kids etc in the other.

Rob had the Prospectors License. After breakfast around a fire one morning, he took off first (he had the map) I went back, because I had noticed a whisp of smoke and so I turned around to make sure the campfire was out. As a result of that (no cell phones back then) I had to race fast across the dry ground following his tracks, but I lost him.

Considering he had the map and the spare petrol, I figured I was in trouble, and so when I saw a very big rise in the distance, I drove fast as i could in a zig zag manner, for a while, up this very steep slope, figuring to get to the top of the ridge and spot him.

It wasn't a ridge however, but an edge and I went straight over it in a dive into a RAVINE. Both of my feet raised up and landed squatting bent kneed on the edge of my dashboard as my Commer-campervan launched out and down into nothing. My left hand in a fist between me and the roof. My right hand cupping the steering wheel.

Down I dropped with a full view of everything, through my windscreen. The treetops way down below looked like a rough green carpet with a stream running through it. The sides rushed up and I sat squatted packed in, because my pillows thankfully and my bedding filled my left side and everything else in my campervan packed in behind that.

I had instantly roared out a YEEEEE -HAAAH when I first went over (figuring I may as well enjoy it) then another YEEEE and right on the second HAAAH, I crash landed on the canopy and then dived (more like crashed) through and continued on down and through ever increasing sizes timbers, until I made it out then ploughed through bushes about two feet up and then ploughed into a sand bank and stopped.

Miraculously, I came out exactly on the corner on the only sand bank, that the almost dried river had banked up there and nowhere else. My campervan came out on its right side, teetered, almost tipped over, but then landed back flat with a thump.

About eight and a half lampposts to the top from where I went over, looking straight up, was my estimate. The story has a lot more to it of course. For any doubters, I can prove it, because I left the bracket that held my spare tire under my Commer van, up there on a big ridge of rock.

Nah, I don't ever want to do that again (or quite a lot of other things) I lived a VERY outrageous life for quite a few years and yep. This is just one my many, life in the wild adventures I really do not ever want to do again,
Cheers,
Johnny Pink

Many years ago sailing a 30 footer in Sydney Harbour when the other crew member is blind. He was a great natural sailor but I was constantly on the lookout for other vessels getting too close to us. It was so stressful and after a few days on the water I gave up. I have never been on a yacht again. It really was quite terrifying.

Racing my Kart round the Isle of Man TT bike racing circuit! I was young and stupid, my Kart was 250cc and my bum was 1 inch off the tarmac! It is a road racetrack, the kerbs came almost halfway up the Kart, any crash would have been significant but it was the first year that Karts were allowed to race in the Isle of Man so there was no way I was going to miss it. I'm glad I did it, even though I was terrified just going through qualification, never mind the actual race. I might have the bragging rights but there is no way I would ever do it again! :rolleyes:

I lived in a 50+ lifestyle village with my husband and at that time it looked a good choice. We met a lot of beautiful people , but quite a number of residents can make your life like hell. Watch you all the time , just in case you do something wrong , make a picture and send it to the office.
If you like to swim and want to do some laps , they just stand in the pool and make sure you can not reach the wall . If you do an exercise class like Tai -Chi , they watch you through the window and make funny faces , like little monkeys. I thought it would be nice to share a coffee with some of your neighbours .
Don’t get me wrong , we still have nice friends there , they come and visit us where we live now .
We bought land on a lake and built a house and have privacy , also have very good neighbours and will never go back to a lifestyle village.:LOL::LOL:

Hey everyone,

Going on a shark fishing 'ferry' in Tahiti around 1983. My husband was not scared but I was under the seat.

Hey everyone,

Hitch hiked 17 times across the Nullarbor when I lived in Perth so I could visit family in the eastern states because flights cost an arm and leg in the 80’s and 90’s.

Reactions: Jo Piper3 and Ricci
Never again will I go camping! I have hated it ever since my first time at school. I have done some of it in my time but have never enjoyed the experience. I can't say I remember a single time when it was a relaxing experience so never again will I indulge.

Reactions: Leanne D and Ricci
We love traveling and after my husband and I retired, we did a lot of it. Amongst other places we went to Thailand and of course we had to ride an elephant. There was a basket type of thing for the two of us, but after that, you could go solo, without the basket. I was watching how people enjoyed themselves, nobody fall down or got hurt so I thought I must try it for myself. The most frightening thing I did. There is nowhere to hold onto except the elephant's ear which was way too far for me. It was keep moving his head up and done and left to right, especially as people were feeding him banana. It was so high and I was begging people to stop feeding the animal, so it stops moving his head. Anyway after what felt like 2 hours (probably 10 minutes in real time) we got back to the station where I could get off. I have never been so grateful to be standing on ground. Anyway, I have tried it, but would never do it again. Same when I went on a ride on a Camel. Never again
Camping at night while crossing the Nullabor in 40+ degree heat! It was bad enough driving all day with the car windows shut and the aircon cranking at full tilt but to pull in at night, erect the tent while absolutely wrung out only to try unsuccessfully to sleep when the temperature hasn't dropped below 38 is just sheer madness. You have no idea how lovely it was to get a motel room after 4 nights camping and 5 days driving, a cool shower, clean crisp sheets, air-conditioning and a proper meal, absolute bliss! ;)
We love traveling and after my husband and I retired, we did a lot of it. Amongst other places we went to Thailand and of course we had to ride an elephant. There was a basket type of thing for the two of us, but after that, you could go solo, without the basket. I was watching how people enjoyed themselves, nobody fall down or got hurt so I thought I must try it for myself. The most frightening thing I did. There is nowhere to hold onto except the elephant's ear which was way too far for me. It was keep moving his head up and done and left to right, especially as people were feeding him banana. It was so high and I was begging people to stop feeding the animal, so it stops moving his head. Anyway after what felt like 2 hours (probably 10 minutes in real time) we got back to the station where I could get off. I have never been so grateful to be standing on ground. Anyway, I have tried it, but would never do it again. Same when I went on a ride on a Camel. Never again

Hitch hiked 17 times across the Nullarbor when I lived in Perth so I could visit family in the eastern states because flights cost an arm and leg in the 80’s and 90’s.
I did that a couple of times myself in the early seventies Jenni. Some of the holes in the road back then went up to my knees.

It would have been dangerous to drive across in a car back then, because you couldn't really tell where a hole was and i fell face flat into a couple.

The road trains billowed orange dust so much behind them, as they roared passed, that at the south Assie border, when I looked at myself in the window of the garage there, all I saw was an orange dusty mound, with two blue eyes looking out.

The counter assistant burst out laughing on seeing me and after brushing me down outside, she let me shower it off Ha Ha Ha

I have so many answers to this question Ricci, that it would take a book series and I would no doubt end up being a stage act to recount them all. But here's one.

I went gold prospecting out the back of Charters towers years ago with a mate by following the old National stock route. I was in an old Commer campervan and Rob a mate at that time was in his long wheelbase Nissan, towing a caravan with wife and kids etc in the other.

Rob had the Prospectors License. After breakfast around a fire one morning, he took off first (he had the map) I went back, because I had noticed a whisp of smoke and so I turned around to make sure the campfire was out. As a result of that (no cell phones back then) I had to race fast across the dry ground following his tracks, but I lost him.

Considering he had the map and the spare petrol, I figured I was in trouble, and so when I saw a very big rise in the distance, I drove fast as i could in a zig zag manner, for a while, up this very steep slope, figuring to get to the top of the ridge and spot him.

It wasn't a ridge however, but an edge and I went straight over it in a dive into a RAVINE. Both of my feet raised up and landed squatting bent kneed on the edge of my dashboard as my Commer-campervan launched out and down into nothing. My left hand in a fist between me and the roof. My right hand cupping the steering wheel.

Down I dropped with a full view of everything, through my windscreen. The treetops way down below looked like a rough green carpet with a stream running through it. The sides rushed up and I sat squatted packed in, because my pillows thankfully and my bedding filled my left side and everything else in my campervan packed in behind that.

I had instantly roared out a YEEEEE -HAAAH when I first went over (figuring I may as well enjoy it) then another YEEEE and right on the second HAAAH, I crash landed on the canopy and then dived (more like crashed) through and continued on down and through ever increasing sizes timbers, until I made it out then ploughed through bushes about two feet up and then ploughed into a sand bank and stopped.

Miraculously, I came out exactly on the corner on the only sand bank, that the almost dried river had banked up there and nowhere else. My campervan came out on its right side, teetered, almost tipped over, but then landed back flat with a thump.

About eight and a half lampposts to the top from where I went over, looking straight up, was my estimate. The story has a lot more to it of course. For any doubters, I can prove it, because I left the bracket that held my spare tire under my Commer van, up there on a big ridge of rock.

Nah, I don't ever want to do that again (or quite a lot of other things) I lived a VERY outrageous life for quite a few years and yep. This is just one my many, life in the wild adventures I really do not ever want to do again,
Cheers,
Johnny Pink
Bloody 'ell!!!!!

Reactions: Ricci and Pink lion