What's really behind Chef James Martin’s sudden break from TV?

Warning: The content may include strong language, and reader discretion is advised.

We all have our TV favourites—those familiar faces who have become a part of our lives.

We've watched and enjoyed their presence on our screens, and among these beloved figures, one chef, in particular, has captured many viewers’ hearts: celebrity chef James Martin.

However, the famed chef’s TV career was suddenly halted due to a health update.

Chef James Martin has revealed more about his decision to step away from the limelight to focus on his health.

The 51-year-old British TV chef, who had previously disclosed his battle with facial cancer, provided an update during an event at the Philharmonic Hall in Liverpool.

‘On a personal note, I just wanted to say thank you for 30 years of television,’ he conveyed to the audience.

393717984_869816321173620_108105978401406087_n.jpg
A photo of James Martin during one of his tours in October in Blackpool. Image source: Facebook/jamesmartinchefpage

‘For me personally, I’ve been through a lot of s*** with cancer, but I’m getting sorted at the end of next month.’

‘I will be back fighting at the end of February, but I’m going on a little bit of a break to get that sorted.’

‘I just wanted to say thank you for all your support and all your messages.’

This development follows Martin's earlier apology for his unkind words directed at his crew during the shooting of his Saturday Morning show.

In footage leaked to The Sun, the TV personality could be heard using strong language on 42 occasions while expressing his frustration about damage caused by a blocked drain at his residence.

This outburst occurred during a Zoom call on the very day he underwent cancer surgery in January 2018.

Source: Instagram/jamesmartinchef

In the leaked 15-minute call, James could be heard saying: ‘I am absolutely furious, beyond belief. It’s my home, it’s my house. It’s my f***ng house. Nobody listens, nobody f****ng listens, do they? I will not put up with this.’

‘A driveway that cost me £26,000 is f***ed because somebody put a load of oil in the f****ng bin that’s now dripped everywhere and f****ng ruined my driveway.’

‘If this was somebody’s house you would end up with a massive bill. People would get fired and rightly so, if this was working for Endemol your a**se would be f****ng fried.’

James continued his 10-minute outburst to tell those on the call to show his property ‘more f****ng respect’.

He then issued a stern warning that if a plumber failed to arrive at his residence by the following day to provide a quote, someone would lose their job.

‘Senior members of our staff will get f****ng fired because I‘m sick of it. I’m sick of being treated like a f****ng piece of s**t. Get in first thing in the morning, last thing at night, first there, last to go, I’m sick of it. I do it because I’m 100 per cent professional, so everybody else do the f****ng same.’

James then cautioned the rest of the team.

‘If you don't like it, p**s off. I’m not interested in paying people a f****ng fortune and having to deal with a s**t aftermath afterwards.’

The 51-year-old then banned his crew from using any of his kitchenware, furniture, or amenities, stating: ‘Don’t even f****ng think about bringing an articulated truck and dumping a Portakabin in my house.’

‘I’ll tell you what’s going to happen. You’re going to prep it up [the food for filming] in a little f****ng van.’

‘You’re going to stand there in the f****ng rain and get wet for lunch, that's what going to happen because you're not having any of my chairs, f**k all. No equipment, no seats, no benches, no trestle tables, nothing. No plates, nothing.’

Screenshot 2023-11-09 at 10.30.06 AM.png
James Martin apologised and explained the ‘leaked’ video situation on social media. Image source: X/@jamesmartinchef

In response to allegations about his behaviour, James addressed the situation on social media.

He shared a heartfelt explanation, opening up about personal challenges and revealing, for the first time publicly, his battle with cancer.

Additionally, he extended an apology to those affected by ‘the incident’.

‘Firstly, I would like to publicly and sincerely apologise to the crew involved in this incident, as I did at the time,’ Martin shared on social media in July.

‘I have always strived to keep my private life private.’

‘However, since details of a conversation, which was secretly recorded in January 2018, are now five years later being made public by a former member of our production team, I have decided to make a statement.’

‘The end of 2017 was one of the most fraught and difficult periods of my life.’

‘I was dealing with the death of my last living grandparent, my grandfather, and on account of work commitments, I could not attend his funeral.’

‘Later that month, I was burgled at night by a team of masked men, who entered my house while my partner Louise was at home alone and I was away working.’

‘I was devastated that she had to go through that alone.’

‘On top of this, I was then diagnosed with cancer on my face, and I had to have surgery, which I couldn’t do until two days before Christmas when we had finished filming,’ Martin added.

‘Since then, it has returned on several occasions, and I have to have regular treatments.’

‘After all this stress, I was in a very emotional state, and when, after filming in early January 2018, I discovered my home had been flooded while filming, I was extremely upset.’

‘I can only say I am human, and following a build-up of personal life pressure, I admit that I overreacted regarding the damage to my home.’

Martin expressed that he ‘wholly regrets’ the incident and emphasised that the valuable ‘lessons have been learned’.
Key Takeaways

• Celebrity Chef James Martin has announced a break from his career due to health issues.
  • Martin revealed that he had been diagnosed with facial cancer several years ago and will be getting treatment.
  • The announcement follows after Martin publicly apologised for speaking poorly to his crew while filming his show.
  • The chef shared that the stress of dealing with his health, personal life and work pressures led to his emotional outburst, which he 'wholly regrets'.
Members, what do you think of this story? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
Warning: The content may include strong language, and reader discretion is advised.

We all have our TV favourites—those familiar faces who have become a part of our lives.

We've watched and enjoyed their presence on our screens, and among these beloved figures, one chef, in particular, has captured many viewers’ hearts: celebrity chef James Martin.

Chef James Martin has revealed more about his decision to step away from the limelight to focus on his health.

The 51-year-old British TV chef, who had previously disclosed his battle with facial cancer, provided an update during an event at the Philharmonic Hall in Liverpool.

‘On a personal note, I just wanted to say thank you for 30 years of television,’ he conveyed to the audience.

View attachment 34241
A photo of James Martin during one of his tours in October in Blackpool. Image source: Facebook/jamesmartinchefpage

‘For me personally, I’ve been through a lot of s*** with cancer, but I’m getting sorted at the end of next month.’

‘I will be back fighting at the end of February, but I’m going on a little bit of a break to get that sorted.’

This development follows Martin's earlier apology for his unkind words directed at his crew during the shooting of his Saturday Morning show.

In footage leaked to The Sun, the TV personality could be heard using strong language on 42 occasions while expressing his frustration about damage caused by a blocked drain at his residence.

This outburst occurred during a Zoom call on the very day he underwent cancer surgery in January 2018.

In the leaked 15-minute call, James could be heard saying: ‘I am absolutely furious, beyond belief. It’s my home, it’s my house. It’s my f***ng house. Nobody listens, nobody f****ng listens, do they? I will not put up with this.’

‘A driveway that cost me £26,000 is f***ed because somebody put a load of oil in the f****ng bin that’s now dripped everywhere and f****ng ruined my driveway.’

‘If this was somebody’s house you would end up with a massive bill. People would get fired and rightly so, if this was working for Endemol your a**se would be f****ng fried.’

James continued his 10-minute outburst to tell those on the call to show his property ‘more f****ng respect’.

He then issued a stern warning that if a plumber failed to arrive at his residence by the following day to provide a quote, someone would lose their job.

‘Senior members of our staff will get f****ng fired because I‘m sick of it. I’m sick of being treated like a f****ng piece of s**t. Get in first thing in the morning, last thing at night, first there, last to go, I’m sick of it. I do it because I’m 100 per cent professional, so everybody else do the f****ng same.’

‘If you don't like it, p**s off. I’m not interested in paying people a f****ng fortune and having to deal with a s**t aftermath afterwards.’

The 51-year-old then banned his crew from using any of his kitchenware, furniture, or amenities, stating: ‘Don’t even f****ng think about bringing an articulated truck and dumping a Portakabin in my house.’

‘I’ll tell you what’s going to happen. You’re going to prep it up [the food for filming] in a little f****ng van.’

‘You’re going to stand there in the f****ng rain and get wet for lunch, that's what going to happen because you're not having any of my chairs, f**k all. No equipment, no seats, no benches, no trestle tables, nothing. No plates, nothing.’

View attachment 34242
James Martin apologised and explained the ‘leaked’ video situation on social media. Image source: X/@jamesmartinchef

In response to allegations about his behaviour, James addressed the situation on social media.

He shared a heartfelt explanation, opening up about personal challenges and revealing, for the first time publicly, his battle with cancer.

‘Firstly, I would like to publicly and sincerely apologise to the crew involved in this incident, as I did at the time,’ Martin shared on social media in July.

‘However, since details of a conversation, which was secretly recorded in January 2018, are now five years later being made public by a former member of our production team, I have decided to make a statement.’

‘I was dealing with the death of my last living grandparent, my grandfather, and on account of work commitments, I could not attend his funeral.’

‘Later that month, I was burgled at night by a team of masked men, who entered my house while my partner Louise was at home alone and I was away working.’

‘On top of this, I was then diagnosed with cancer on my face, and I had to have surgery, which I couldn’t do until two days before Christmas when we had finished filming,’ Martin added.

‘Since then, it has returned on several occasions, and I have to have regular treatments.’

‘After all this stress, I was in a very emotional state, and when, after filming in early January 2018, I discovered my home had been flooded while filming, I was extremely upset.’

‘I can only say I am human, and following a build-up of personal life pressure, I admit that I overreacted regarding the damage to my home.’

Martin expressed that he ‘wholly regrets’ the incident and emphasised that the valuable ‘lessons have been learned’.
Key Takeaways

• Celebrity Chef James Martin has announced a break from his career due to health issues.
  • Martin revealed that he had been diagnosed with facial cancer several years ago and will be getting treatment.
  • The announcement follows after Martin publicly apologised for speaking poorly to his crew while filming his show.
  • The chef shared that the stress of dealing with his health, personal life and work pressures led to his emotional outburst, which he 'wholly regrets'.
Members, what do you think of this story? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

I think that the person(s) responsible for ‘leaking’ this conversation should hang their heads in shame. James has apologised for the rant (we all have them), both at the time and at other times too. Leave the guy alone to heal. I’m also surprised and dismayed that SDC saw fit to re-publish the whole thing, I don’t think that was necessary. I’m sure that if people desperately wanted to know what was said at the time that they could have easily found a way to do so.
Good luck James and best wishes on your journey back to good health.

View attachment 34241

View attachment 34242

Key Takeaways

James Martin is gorgeous he’s on tv at the moment old shows of course. He’s just got a beautiful aura on screen. And the voice melts your heart. Yum😍sorry about his battles.

I think that the person(s) responsible for ‘leaking’ this conversation should hang their heads in shame. James has apologised for the rant (we all have them), both at the time and at other times too. Leave the guy alone to heal. I’m also surprised and dismayed that SDC saw fit to re-publish the whole thing, I don’t think that was necessary. I’m sure that if people desperately wanted to know what was said at the time that they could have easily found a way to do so.
Good luck James and best wishes on your journey back to good health.
It was on at least 42 occasions he did this.

If you are a public figure then both good n bad with get published, not just good.

Yes we all have rants but I would never disrespect people like he did and this seems to have gone on for awhile not just once

karma is a bitch, how do you think those people felt that he spoke to like that. It's actually work place bullying

Reactions: Leenie
James Martin is gorgeous he’s on tv at the moment old shows of course. He’s just got a beautiful aura on screen. And the voice melts your heart. Yum😍sorry about his battles.
Don't judge a book by its cover !! Sometimes we see a person's persona differently to how others around them are treated by that person .

Thing is you have choices & options too. If you don't call it out immediately you are condoning it. No one has to put up with that behaviour.

View attachment 34241

View attachment 34242

Key Takeaways

Justifying his bad behaviour is a bit low. Why didn't he take a day off and go to the funeral? Did he go home to take care of your partner? Why did he put his job before his health? Everyone has control over their behaviour and decisions to make/made.
Apologies go so far!

View attachment 34241

View attachment 34242

Key Takeaways

Well known!! Never heard of him. Maybe he is on during the day when people are too busy to watch TV. Mine doesn't go on until 5.30ish for local news.

Well known!! Never heard of him. Maybe he is on during the day when people are too busy to watch TV. Mine doesn't go on until 5.30ish for local news.
He is mostly on the foody channels which I watch a lot of. So if you don’t watch them then that’s probably why you don’t know him.🤩

Reactions: Suzanne rose