SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Jarred Santos

Jarred Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 10, 2022
What's a funny thing you recall a child doing?

Hello, members!

The other day, my niece — who I adore and think the world of — randomly handed me a carved wooden duck out of nowhere.

I have no idea where she got it; my best clue is that it came from somewhere in our house, and she liked it. I hope you forgive me, but I’ve been positively stumped about why she would give me that duck.

Perhaps most, if not all, of you are familiar with the quirkiness three-year-olds have, and I think she handed it to me for the heck of it.

But my mind being the absolute restless thing that it is, I’ve entertained odd thoughts about it. What if she thinks I look like a duck? Or do I have come across to her as duck-like? Oh, I do fear that she thinks of her dear uncle as nothing but a quack so early on…

Has a little one in your life done something like this to you before?

Tell us below!

• Haha
Reactions: Ricci and RTS
Don't complicate the issue. Remember, this is a 3 yr old who LOVES you and she has found the duck (Maybe under a couch or bed or similiar) and she is bringing it to your attention and hoping for a BIG HUG ... Maybe she is simply trying to help you and the duck is the evidence. She NOT old enough to have feelings like Your are an old duck or Uncle is a quack. Those thing NEVER crossed her mind and she would have NO idea what the heck you are talking about .. HUG HER... All little girls love hugs.. Well my daughters did, at that age.

She very obviously loves you, so, as Vet543 says, HUG HER. I still have things my son and daughter gave me when they were in primary school, pottery pieces, drawings, cards and letters of love, and my "kids" are now in their 40's and still we have HUGE HUGS whenever we see each other. Children are so special and when you treat them and love them for that specialness they grow up to be very special adults. Thank you for your lovely story of your niece and her/your duck.

What's a funny thing you recall a child doing?

Hello, members!

The other day, my niece — who I adore and think the world of — randomly handed me a carved wooden duck out of nowhere.

I have no idea where she got it; my best clue is that it came from somewhere in our house, and she liked it. I hope you forgive me, but I’ve been positively stumped about why she would give me that duck.

Perhaps most, if not all, of you are familiar with the quirkiness three-year-olds have, and I think she handed it to me for the heck of it.

But my mind being the absolute restless thing that it is, I’ve entertained odd thoughts about it. What if she thinks I look like a duck? Or do I have come across to her as duck-like? Oh, I do fear that she thinks of her dear uncle as nothing but a quack so early on…

Has a little one in your life done something like this to you before?

Tell us below!
I was a teacher for over forty years before retiring and have had lots contact with small children. I feel that we always think too far in relation their actions and questions. Keep it simple. She is only three. Your niece could be asking for lots of explanations about the duck OR just getting your attention . My feeling is that she wants to know more. What is this thing? Did it move when it was alive alive? Where can I see one ? Can I have a real duck? Can I have this duck? I just want you to talk to me ! Keep it simple. She is only three. Maybe she just needs the word for that thing. Who knows ????? Maybe she doesn't either ! She may just be showing you something different to get your attention. Enjoy this delightful stage of her life with her.

What a delightful child, she has found something that has caught her attention and wants to share her feelings and wonder with you. Look at it like you've never seen a duck before and see the wonder she sees. Tell her a crazy story about the duck, make up a crazy duck dance, her attention span isn't long so it just has to engage her for a short time. :love:

• Love
Reactions: Jarred Santos
Don't complicate the issue. Remember, this is a 3 yr old who LOVES you and she has found the duck (Maybe under a couch or bed or similiar) and she is bringing it to your attention and hoping for a BIG HUG ... Maybe she is simply trying to help you and the duck is the evidence. She NOT old enough to have feelings like Your are an old duck or Uncle is a quack. Those thing NEVER crossed her mind and she would have NO idea what the heck you are talking about .. HUG HER... All little girls love hugs.. Well my daughters did, at that age.
Oh, sorry if I came across as belabouring the small act... honestly I was just touched she'd even think to do so @Vet543 :LOL: I do give her lots of hugs, mostly because I love her to bits but also because she's as cute as a button! :D

Reactions: Ricci
She very obviously loves you, so, as Vet543 says, HUG HER. I still have things my son and daughter gave me when they were in primary school, pottery pieces, drawings, cards and letters of love, and my "kids" are now in their 40's and still we have HUGE HUGS whenever we see each other. Children are so special and when you treat them and love them for that specialness they grow up to be very special adults. Thank you for your lovely story of your niece and her/your duck.
You sound like an absolutely wonderful mum @Yvonne C.! For sure I'll think of you, @Vet543, and everyone else when I see her soon and give her a hug!

Do you have any quirky memories of your kids you'd want to share? :D

I was a teacher for over forty years before retiring and have had lots contact with small children. I feel that we always think too far in relation their actions and questions. Keep it simple. She is only three. Your niece could be asking for lots of explanations about the duck OR just getting your attention . My feeling is that she wants to know more. What is this thing? Did it move when it was alive alive? Where can I see one ? Can I have a real duck? Can I have this duck? I just want you to talk to me ! Keep it simple. She is only three. Maybe she just needs the word for that thing. Who knows ????? Maybe she doesn't either ! She may just be showing you something different to get your attention. Enjoy this delightful stage of her life with her.
Point taken @MERYL greet! I do apologise if I sounded like I was stressing out over her sweetness. I make sure to ask her 'What's that?' whenever she hands me random things and show her affection (because I really appreciate her wonder and zest!) :LOL:

I'll also take your last line to heart! Her mum (my sister) sometimes talks about how it seems like she's growing up way too fast. Pretty soon, she'll be off to school and so on and so forth until she becomes an adult, and I doubt she'd even remember handing her uncle a wooden duck when she was three years old 😂

Last edited:
What a delightful child, she has found something that has caught her attention and wants to share her feelings and wonder with you. Look at it like you've never seen a duck before and see the wonder she sees. Tell her a crazy story about the duck, make up a crazy duck dance, her attention span isn't long so it just has to engage her for a short time. :love:
Wow! Thank you @Ricci! You've just given me a new idea... she's about to see uncle doing a very silly dance :LOL:

When my daughter was 2 we had just moved into a different house. She ran out into the garden to explore & came in a few mins later shouting" I've found a pretty stick" handing me (Luckily already dead) a Red-bellied Black snake. This must have triggered her love for snakes for she has had many & her love for Aussie wildlife extends to all. I am grateful that the cat had already killed the snake as then it could have had a different ending. Needless to say, she was told not to pick anything else up from the garden. Where I am now I have learned to live with reptiles of all sorts as we are on wild acreage , the only one left on our side of the road for now as all the other blocks are or have been developed into tiny townhouses with handkerchiefs sized gardens.

When my daughter was 2 we had just moved into a different house. She ran out into the garden to explore & came in a few mins later shouting" I've found a pretty stick" handing me (Luckily already dead) a Red-bellied Black snake. This must have triggered her love for snakes for she has had many & her love for Aussie wildlife extends to all. I am grateful that the cat had already killed the snake as then it could have had a different ending. Needless to say, she was told not to pick anything else up from the garden. Where I am now I have learned to live with reptiles of all sorts as we are on wild acreage , the only one left on our side of the road for now as all the other blocks are or have been developed into tiny townhouses with handkerchiefs sized gardens.
What a nice story this is @Nana Zorak (minus the snake part! My heart skipped a beat at that part)! I'd faint on the spot if my niece brought me a 'stick' like that :ROFLMAO: Thank you for sharing!