SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Sethia Soliman

Sethia Soliman

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2022
What smell, image, or sound triggers a bit of nostalgia for you?

Hi, lovely members! For this week's get-to-know-each-other session, I (Sethia) want to go on a trip down memory lane with you with the help of our senses. What smell, image, taste, or sound triggers memories of your childhood?

laura-fuhrman-73OJLcahQHg-unsplash.jpg
Source: Unsplash

For me, it's hearing the sound of early morning news playing on the telly. When I was younger, my grandmother would wake up extra early to ensure that I start my school day with a heavy and delicious meal. She'd usually whip me up either sunny-side-up eggs, chicken nuggets, corned beef, or instant ramen noodles. We weren't wealthy, but she tried everything she could to provide some sense of stability in my life. I would gobble up my brekkie while watching the daily news with her, even though I didn't understand anything - and I remember feeling incredibly safe and happy.

Now, when I hear the morning news playing on the telly, I get a little teary-eyed realising how fast the days have flown by. But mostly grateful that I was blessed with a grandmother who went out of her way to make sure that I'm well taken care of.

How about you? I'd love to hear your stories in the comments below!

White Butterflies trigger many many memories for me...My Mum before she passed told me to watch for white Butterflies she will never be far away...The day we headed home after her funeral we visited one last time on my Sisters grave were so many Butterflies flying around it was as if the were all getting together again...Mum, Dad, my 2 Sisters & my Niece..I will never forget that ever... I have a video but could not find it...Best Wishes to all Vicki 🦋🦋🦋🦋

Hi, lovely members! For this week's get-to-know-each-other session, I (Sethia) want to go on a trip down memory lane with you with the help of our senses. What smell, image, taste, or sound triggers memories of your childhood?

View attachment 20622

For me, it's hearing the sound of early morning news playing on the telly. When I was younger, my grandmother would wake up extra early to ensure that I start my school day with a heavy and delicious meal. She'd usually whip me up either sunny-side-up eggs, chicken nuggets, corned beef, or instant ramen noodles. We weren't wealthy, but she tried everything she could to provide some sense of stability in my life. I would gobble up my brekkie while watching the daily news with her, even though I didn't understand anything - and I remember feeling incredibly safe and happy.

Now, when I hear the morning news playing on the telly, I get a little teary-eyed realising how fast the days have flown by. But mostly grateful that I was blessed with a grandmother who went out of her way to make sure that I'm well taken care of.

The smell of lavender. My mother used to wear perfume that always reminded me of lavender.

Music brings back alot of memories, so many songs do this from the 60s and 70s .

There are two songs that straight away bring back memories of my grandmother who was like my mother .
The first one is Honey by Bobby Goldsborough.
This was her favourite song and 3 days after her passing I was having a coffee at 5am and crying , I had the radio on softly and said softly, if only you could let me know you are OK, and within seconds Honey played , I had never heard it on the radio b4 the date was 5 th December 1991.

Then 2 days later at her funeral I felt she was standing somewhere watching and I noticed through tears what a beautiful sunny day and clear blue skies, I said as this is a perfect day to say goodbye to a perfect lady.

Then driving home I was looking out the car window with tears in my eyes and on the radio it played The day you went away , there's not a cloud in the sky and blue blue sky.
So any time I hear either if these songs my memory goes straight to my grandmother and still today I will shed a tear

View attachment 20622

Devon roll with tomato sauce lunch order in primary school

I have mentioned before that my mum and dad were in the fruit game all their working life. When I was a kid we had two fruit trucks in the front yard, which mum and dad delivered door to door. Two days a week when I left for school, and then a few days when I arrived home, I would walk past the trucks and the wonderful smell of fruit would get me.
We buy our fruit from a fruit shop, not a supermarket. Every time I walk in, the aroma takes me back. Just wonderful.
And, if you have never noticed, when rockmelons are in season, their smell takes over everything.
My mum always walked around the house singing Nat King Cole tunes. I listen to him still and remember. The smoothest voice ever.

A perfume named TABOO. It has a wonderful aroma, but like the sirens that supposedly sat on hidden reefs sang and sent ancient sailors to their doom, I love the aroma, but I have learnt over time to avoid the shoals.

Every amazing woman with a glass of something on the rocks, that beckoned in more way than one, that wore TABOO, "ALWAYS" had a boyfriend, she was always, trouble.

To sniff the perfume as delicious as it smells, even now as I approach the 35th anniversary of my 35th birthday, is still enough to make me very wary ha ha ha.

A perfume named TABOO. It has a wonderful aroma, but like the sirens that supposedly sat on hidden reefs sang and sent ancient sailors to their doom, I love the aroma, but I have learnt over time to avoid the shoals.

Every amazing woman with a glass of something on the rocks, that beckoned in more way than one, that wore TABOO, "ALWAYS" had a boyfriend, she was always, trouble.

To sniff the perfume as delicious as it smells, even now as I approach the 35th anniversary of my 35th birthday, is still enough to make me very wary ha ha ha.
My aunts favourite perfume was Taboo she passed away at age 49 and when ever my mum smells Taboo it reminds her of her sister. My other aunt says she often smells Taboo around her house as does her husband and daughter and they say it's Thell visiting

I love the smell of tar when they are fixing potholes or doing a new road just love the smell It reminds me of living near a tar works In Liverpool England mum always said it was good for the chest Was she right who knows 🤣🤣
Mums have / had a way of turning a negative into a positive. Isn't it great how something so small or big can take us back to a happy place

Fresh basil or dill. The scent of these herbs takes me back to summers when my three boys were young and I'd be in the kitchen preparing meals for them. My husband used to do the fruit and veg shopping and always managed to find some really nice produce. He was an ace shopper! ❤️

Cinnamon! Back when I lived with my aunt as a child, one of the treats she used to feed my cousins (her kids) and I was buttered toast topped with sprinkles of sugar and cinnamon.

It's been decades since those days, but I always get that little bump in my heart when I smell cinnamon. Reminds me of much simpler times.