SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Jarred Santos

Jarred Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 10, 2022
What makes you happy to be Australian?

Have you heard the news?

Australia is the 12th happiest country in the world, according to the 2023 World Happiness Report. Finland is once again first. Our dear old neighbour New Zealand is ahead of us (just by a bit!) at tenth place. Canada, the United States, and the United Kingdom rank below Australia in the top 20.

pexels-photo-6974988.jpg
What makes you happy to be Aussie, dear Aussie? Image Credit: Pexels/T Leish

In light of this encouraging news, I’ll ask: what makes you happy to be Australian? Is it the culture? The land? The people? The lifestyle? The odd hot cross bun flavours? The ever-present sense of community? Whatever your reason is, we’d love to know!

What is not to love about living in our beautiful country .

I love the freedom that we have as well as the security.

Some say we are too far away from other countries but that could be a good thing.

I love the multi culturalisim but I dislike those who come to live in our country and don't respect our country or people .

Have you heard the news?

Australia is the 12th happiest country in the world, according to the 2023 World Happiness Report. Finland is once again first. Our dear old neighbour New Zealand is ahead of us (just by a bit!) at tenth place. Canada, the United States, and the United Kingdom rank below Australia in the top 20.

View attachment 16170

In light of this encouraging news, I’ll ask: what makes you happy to be Australian? Is it the culture? The land? The people? The lifestyle? The odd hot cross bun flavours? The ever-present sense of community? Whatever your reason is, we’d love to know!

Reactions: KiwiTrish
As an Australian I still have the freedom to say what I think, go where I want and do what I wish so long as I’m not breaking any laws. I have the privilege of obtaining an education and employment governed by my self application and determination. Oh, and Australia is the most amazing country in the world.

Have you heard the news?

View attachment 16170

Lifestyle, culture, weather.

Have you heard the news?

View attachment 16170

The love of our Country, The 3 F's = Family, Friendship and Food... cheers Pete'

We [ my sister and I ], are so glad our parents decided to immigrate here to this beautiful country over 60yrs ago. Making that decision has made us so grateful, because my sister and I have been blessed with finding our partners, and beautiful children, and many grand kids and even a couple of great grand sons. My wife and I have celebrated our 50 wonderful years together.

I spent 20 years working on the land as a Jackeroo, Overseer and Station Manager on large properties in NSW and Queensland. The country people I met during my time made me know how amazing and friendly county people are. We are blessed with a wonderful country and how country people survive with drought, floods and fires and how they always continue to work hard and survive.

Have you heard the news?

View attachment 16170

The fact that I'm not American.

I chose to be Australian (I emigrated!). The lifestyle, the amazing beaches, the culture and the fact that Australia is relatively crime free and you are safe almost everywhere. Despite everything going on in the world we still have access to good food, clean water, a roof of some description over our heads. We have freedom of speech (and thought) and there are jobs for those who want them.
I ❤️ Australia!

Have you heard the news?

View attachment 16170

I feel safe here in this world that is becoming increasingly more unstable and worrysome. However, I would like to make the point that many people living in this wonderful country are still awaiting residency status, and are regarded as "Temporary Residents".

I feel safe here. The world is becoming increasingly more unstable and worrysome. However, I would like to point out that a lot of people here are not regarded as being Australian, but remain in limbo - known as a "Temporary Resident", awaiting the granting of full residency status!

After being offered the chance to come to Australia in 1965 I have never looked back. The main reason is that I no longer live in a grey country with grey people (England) thank goodness. Don't get me wrong, I loved growing up there but as the war started PTSD for me I was glad to leave the place where people seemed to have no hope of a bright future that was not what I wanted for my son or my marriage. I still love it here & only took a trip back due to a friend's illness. I hated every moment & it only proved to me that we had made the correct move. The only regret I have is that I left Cairns for a new love (another man) & have lived to regret the move as my son is now back in Cairns married to his first love who he missed out on the first time, she had 2 kids my son none in his first marriage so now I have 4 great-grandkids that I only see in photos, still, I am as happy here as I ever was elsewhere.

I feel very safe were I live which is a small country town in North West Victoria very quiet safe easy lifestyle. We don't have all the amenities of cities but everything we require if not here most major medical services are only 60 km away. We have a hospital with amazing staff same with a old people's home the care in both places is second to none I can personally say that from experience with my parents.
Probably one of the best things was we were virtually untouched by covid because the whole state was put to lock down covid did not get here. There was only very few cases so it didn't change lifestyle.
Plenty of wide open spaces, fresh air always, what more could you ask for.

I did my Masters in RMIT melbourne and paid full fees as an overseas student. But the establishment didn't offer to put me in the Aus Shipping Guild. I had no intention to immigrate as I was a young Capt in the Merchant Navy, owned my own 4x4 home, my car, had 4 servants and a tax free wage in US$ at the age of 34. My wife was an art director in an advt co: and pulled in a decent wage. When I was in aus doing my masters she was offered sponsorship by her employet, but she refused saying I would never leave India. Lo and behold, a few incidents in India made me casually apply for immigration and we got in. We gave ourselves 2 years to make it.
Just then I had a massive heart attack n had a cabg x 4.
The way that this country looked after me and my wife during this time, made me realise that this new adopted country was fair dinkum.

I gave up everything in India and tried to settle down in karratha as a marine surveyor and rest is history.
My kids r more aussie than ill ever be.
All i tell them is- absorb the respect and culture of India and the “what you see is what you get” and the confidence of an ausdie- and you’ll be ok

I was born an Indian but choose to live my life in Australia respecting both cultures and holding my head up high as I walk the streets of life

I pinch myself every morning when I wake, for the clean environment and increasingly acceptance of newcomers to this wonderful land
Amen🙃