SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Sethia Soliman

Sethia Soliman

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2022
What is one thing that you wish the younger generations understood or appreciated more?

After I (Sethia) had a quick chat with my little brother about life at university (I know, I know... Not so little anymore, but he'll always be the family baby to me!), we somehow ended up talking about our childhood... And it made me realise that he spent most of his on his iPad! You see, my brother and I have a pretty big age gap, so it shocked me when I found out that he wasn't able to experience playing outside like most people my age used to. His childhood mostly consisted of popular YouTubers as well as old games that he used to play on his iPad.

compressed-pexels-karolina-grabowska-4968506.jpeg
Source: Pexels

While I completely understand that times have changed, I can't help but wish that he also experienced playing pretend, hide-and-seek, and even climbing trees like I used to. So, members, what is one thing that you wish the younger generations understood or appreciated more?

Share your answers with us in the comments below!

Being so short of money after the war/the friendly help and support of neighbours as well as relatives/the lack of luxuries and technology/cold winters without a decent heater/few people being able to afford even basic cars/cheap public transport/local small shops and milk bars/cracker nights/ etc., etc.

To be honest my kids are very respectful, kind and caring and selfless. I also see this with most of their friends as well. Manners are something I taught them at a young age and it is also passed on to my grandkids.
My 22 month old granddaughter always says thank you and please

The one thing I would say to young people is don't be so materialistic, I find the young people today want the latest phone, nice cars and loads of new clothes. Stop and save for property.

Respect for their parents, older people
and the law and they need to be held
responsible for their actions. Basically respect for everyone.

Reactions: Gsr and Superchief
What is one thing that you wish the younger generations understood or appreciated more?

After I (Sethia) had a quick chat with my little brother about life at university (I know, I know... Not so little anymore, but he'll always be the family baby to me!), we somehow ended up talking about our childhood... And it made me realise that he spent most of his on his iPad! You see, my brother and I have a pretty big age gap, so it shocked me when I found out that he wasn't able to experience playing outside like most people my age used to. His childhood mostly consisted of popular YouTubers as well as old games that he used to play on his iPad.

View attachment 21169

While I completely understand that times have changed, I can't help but wish that he also experienced playing pretend, hide-and-seek, and even climbing trees like I used to. So, members, what is one thing that you wish the younger generations understood or appreciated more?

Don't ever yell or swear at your parents, I was tempted to many times but was too scared to so never did this.

Reactions: Gsr and Superchief
That three-score + 10, or even five-score if you get lucky in the gene handout, flash past in the blink of eye. You need to make the most of every day.

Reactions: Gsr
I would like them to respect other people, property, laws and to not believe that they “know it all”. Listen to the advice of older people who have lived a life and know what they are talking about. We are not trying to stop you from enjoying life, we are trying to keep you safe so you get to live a life like we have.

Reactions: Thecheesequeen
They don't need to buy everything they think they want, and they don't need to buy new. The op shops are wonderful places to find things others no longer want at a very reasonable price. Same with Marketplace.

When I was growing up it was tuff but I wouldn’t change it for the world. We had to stand for attention in the mornings while the principle would speak or others.we had our shoes checked , yes we had to polish our black shoes wth black nugget the night be for we went to bed . we went to school to have our shoes inspected look out if they wernt clean an polished Then we had to march to our class rooms . Children were seen but not herd . Today is better they can speak up an listen in , we wernt aloud too. We had to come home from school an get outside an play , climb trees . Get on the billy cart we made an go down the paddock. If there was nothing to eat , we had vita Brit’s wth butter an Vegemite we were hungry they went dwn quick.we lived nxt to a dairy farm an had to collect a bucket of milk or scoop cream off the top of the milk so mum had cream . If the bull was dwn wth the cows there was no way ide go through the paddock ,or it was very wet an the cows would put big holes in the ground , muddy an sloshy. We would hve to walk up the road through the side of the house up to the dairy. We had grain stores so much fun , the only packets they had were the ones hung from the ceiling. Mum would get them for us whn they put new ones up, up the bck was an old shed we would play shops . An had the packets hung from shed. You could get a bag of Brocken bickys in a bag for 5c . For mum to do sme cooking wth them. Or I would cook too. Hot chips were the best wrapped in newspapers u tear the top hot fresh chips . We could go to the shops at luntch time an get our chips an walk back to school. Picking mushrooms from our freinds who had a lot of cattle the mushrooms were huge no chemicals in those days . The best mushrooms u would ever taste. I grew up in the country .we would ride our bikes, play toy cars in the sand . Grandma taught all us girls to chrochet. There was a shop that made dressing gowns the quilted type ones, u could get balls of off cuts. Cut in strips , we would chrochet bath mats , chrochet them on wire coat hangers make all sorts . Rake up the leaves an burn them . Guy fox night were the best neighbours who had paddocks would collect branches ect and light them . on guy fox night. We would go to the milk bar an pick out all sorts of crackers for 5c ect. Take them to the bombfires and have fun .mum dad and my brother an sisters would go too. Happy hard days .we had wood fires u would open the fire door put a peace of bread on a big fork dad made out of wire stand in front an cook ya toast yum . Careing for baby lambs was the best in winter , dad would bring them inside if the mother rejected them we would have them in a box wth rags near the fire. An bottle feed wth a teat wth warm milk . And baby goats too .we had to do what we was told . Ide like to see more respect in kids today . And read back in the day that was poor days for a lot of people and learn how they lived .listen to ur grandparents . Aunties an uncles . And ur own parents .

Last edited:
When I was growing up it was tuff but I wouldn’t change it for the world. We had to stand for attention in the mornings while the principle would speak or others.we had our shoes checked , yes we had to polish our black shoes wth black nugget the night be for we went to bed . we went to school to have our shoes inspected look out if they wernt clean an polished Then we had to march to our class rooms . Children were seen but not herd . Today is better they can speak up an listen in , we wernt aloud too. We had to come home from school an get outside an play , climb trees . Get on the billy cart we made an go down the paddock. If there was nothing to eat , we had vita Brit’s wth butter an Vegemite we were hungry they went dwn quick.we lived nxt to a dairy farm an had to collect a bucket of milk or scoop cream off the top of the milk so mum had cream . If the bull was dwn wth the cows there was no way ide go through the paddock ,or it was very wet an the cows would put big holes in the ground , muddy an sloshy. We would hve to walk up the road through the side of the house up to the dairy. We had grain stores so much fun , the only packets they had were the ones hung from the ceiling. Mum would get them for us whn they put new ones up, up the bck was an old shed we would play shops . An had the packets hung from shed. You could get a bag of Brocken bickys in a bag for 5c . For mum to do sme cooking wth them. Or I would cook too. Hot chips were the best wrapped in newspapers u tear the top hot fresh chips . We could go to the shops at luntch time an get our chips an walk back to school. Picking mushrooms from our freinds who had a lot of cattle the mushrooms were huge no chemicals in those days . The best mushrooms u would ever taste. I grew up in the country .we would ride our bikes, play toy cars in the sand . Grandma taught all us girls to chrochet. There was a shop that made dressing gowns the quilted type ones, u could get balls of off cuts. Cut in strips , we would chrochet bath mats , chrochet them on wire coat hangers make all sorts . Rake up the leaves an burn them . Guy fox night were the best neighbours who had paddocks would collect branches ect and light them . on guy fox night. We would go to the milk bar an pick out all sorts of crackers for 5c ect. Take them to the bombfires and have fun .mum dad and my brother an sisters would go too. Happy hard days .we had wood fires u would open the fire door put a peace of bread on a big fork dad made out of wire stand in front an cook ya toast yum . Careing for baby lambs was the best in winter , dad would bring them inside if the mother rejected them we would have them in a box wth rags near the fire. An bottle feed wth a teat wth warm milk . And baby goats too .we had to do what we was told . Ide like to see more respect in kids today . And read back in the day that was poor days for a lot of people and learn how they lived .listen to ur grandparents . Aunties an uncles . And ur own parents .

respect

View attachment 21169