'What do I do now?': Mum finds 'terrifying' hints of danger in her kitchen

The kitchen is a haven for homeowners to cook meals to keep them healthy.

Imagine wanting a refreshing drink, only to find evidence that you've had an unwanted visitor overnight.

That's precisely what happened to a mum in New South Wales—and her experience is a cautionary tale for all of us who believe our homes are our sanctuaries.

The mum, who lives in a four-room cabin, was greeted by a rather unsettling sight: an avocado with bite marks and mysterious 'brown bits' scattered across her plate and sink.

She soon realised that these 'brown bits' were droppings—a clear sign that a creature made itself at home in her kitchen.

compressed-pest help.jpeg
The mum found bite marks and droppings on her plate of unopened avocados, which could be a health issue if unnoticed. Image Credit: Facebook/Pest Help Australia

'I have woken to signs of a creature overnight,' she shared in a post, seeking advice from others on how to handle the situation.

'There's p*** on my kitchen sink and counter. Where is it going during the day? What do I do?'

Her post quickly garnered attention, with many speculating that a mouse or rat came inside her house.

'By the size of the droppings and teeth marks, I would say roof rats,' one commented. 'They will eat grains, vegetables, and fruits.'

Other community members chimed in with advice.

'Pay close attention to areas under sink cupboards where water pipes extrude,' one person commented.

'Check all doors, especially if you have access from laundry to the exterior, and door to the garage to ensure they have weather strips and are properly sealed.'

'Remove all food and place it in sealed containers or the fridge. Check for small entry points around pipe penetrations, and check the entire kitchen for more droppings under the sink area or pantry,' another commenter wrote.

'Baiting or snap traps should help. Fix entry points after no more droppings are noted for a week.'

While DIY methods can be effective, they come with risks.

Some commenters recommend consulting with professional pest control services to handle the situation safely and thoroughly.

The thought of rodents scurrying around the kitchen is enough to send shivers down anyone's spine.

Not only are they unsanitary, but they can also cause significant damage to your home and potentially spread diseases.

Inspect your home for any signs of entry points for rodents, such as door gaps, windows, or pipe passageways.

Seal these gaps with appropriate materials, and consider storing food in airtight containers to avoid attracting pests.

If you're unsure or uncomfortable dealing with the issue yourself, don't hesitate to call in the professionals.

Pest control experts can provide a comprehensive assessment and tailor a solution to ensure your home is pest-free.

Regularly inspecting your home for potential entry points and maintaining cleanliness can go a long way in keeping these uninvited guests out.
Key Takeaways

• A New South Wales mum found concerning evidence of rodents in her kitchen.
  • She found gnaw marks on an avocado and droppings on her sink and counter despite no entry or exit points.
  • Pest control experts and social media users advised that the signs pointed to the presence of roof rats.
  • Recommendations were made to closely inspect the kitchen for more signs of rodents, secure food in sealed containers, and seal any potential entry points to help address the situation.
Have you ever had a similar experience? How did you deal with it? Share your stories and tips in the comments below.

Sponsored
We had three palm trees in the front garden and a couple in the back, we had rats in the roof space. We had ALL the palm trees removed, the rats vacated the roof space never to be seen again.

Also, we knew someone with an aviary and the seeds attracted the rats.

We had three palm trees in the front garden and a couple in the back, we had rats in the roof space. We had ALL the palm trees removed, the rats vacated the roof space never to be seen again.

I made hubby get rid of our aviary because of that and I won't let him get chickens for the same reason.
A friend who had an aviary his birds 🐦 kept being killed and half eaten by rats. He couldn't see where they were getting in but was told they can get through the smallest opening

I was just thinking 🤔 I have 3 palm trees at the end of my backyard. Now I'm thinking do I need to get rid of these now

Reactions: Ezzy, DLHM and Gsr
I was just thinking 🤔 I have 3 palm trees at the end of my backyard. Now I'm thinking do I need to get rid of these now
If you have rats maybe you should or they may be too far from the building

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Littleboy8
I don't think I have rats , well not inside nit sure about outside at night.
We did have possum's and they say if you have possum's then you won't have rats
They hate the smell of peppermint.And you can get sonar devices for your house I wouldn’t get rid of the palms a waste of money. Rats hate possums they eat the babies that’s one reason they nest in the roof then they usually leave after the babies are a couple of weeks old.😊

Last edited:
OMG
This is like a Stephen King story. Cannibal possums and avocado assaulting rats.
Never had mice or rats in my house. I do have possums that play chasies every night using my roof as a race track. We have gutter protection specifically to keep them out of the roof.
I did see what I thought was the Gigantor of rats one day. Middle of the day, strolling across my deck.
Turns out is was a juvenile possum being naughty and going day time walkies. I just left it alone and it went home to mummy,.
Ahhh ... the wonders of nature.

OMG
This is like a Stephen King story. Cannibal possums and avocado assaulting rats.
Never had mice or rats in my house. I do have possums that play chasies every night using my roof as a race track. We have gutter protection specifically to keep them out of the roof.
I did see what I thought was the Gigantor of rats one day. Middle of the day, strolling across my deck.
Turns out is was a juvenile possum being naughty and going day time walkies. I just left it alone and it went home to mummy,.
🤣🤣🤣👍
I only know all this info cos I lived next door to a mine in tassie and they were breeding down there, so we had a rat plague it was horrible.🤢had to get the pied piper in to get rid of them.🤣🤣

Last edited:
OMG
🤣🤣

Reactions: Ezzy and Littleboy8
We had rats outside years ago running along the top of the fence when the neighbours had chooks but soon disappeared, thankfully, when they went on holiday & got rid of the chooks before doing so. Guess they did that back in their own country, perhaps?

My husband and daughter always wanted chooks and birds. I was always outvoted.
Not that I don't like them but the seed bring vermin.
Last year, being a bumper crop (I live in the wheatbelt), the whole area for miles around had a massive mouse plague.
There were mice literally everywhere.
Finally got rid of all the birds, the cat did a good job on the mice and this year, despite another good crop result, we had no mice.
No more chooks or birds for me.

My husband and daughter always wanted chooks and birds. I was always outvoted.
Not that I don't like them but the seed bring vermin.
Last year, being a bumper crop (I live in the wheatbelt), the whole area for miles around had a massive mouse plague.
There were mice literally everywhere.
Finally got rid of all the birds, the cat did a good job on the mice and this year, despite another good crop result, we had no mice.
No more chooks or birds for me.
Yeah they also nested in my birdcage and gave birth to babies had a hell of a job getting rid of them. They ate my quails and the eggs it was sad so I gave my birds away to a bird breeder in town they were rare parrots and stressed.😊

Reactions: Ezzy
Yeah they also nested in my birdcage and gave birth to babies had a hell of a job getting rid of them. They ate my quails and the eggs it was sad so I gave my birds away to a bird breeder in town they were rare parrots and stressed.😊
We had rats eat our budgies as well,my poor daughter was so upset.

We have palms right around our house for over 40 years and never had rats well the animal ones.

Reactions: Ezzy and Littleboy8
We have palms right around our house for over 40 years and never had rats well the animal ones.
Most rats are native bush rats that’s what breed in my roof every now and again. I just leave them be cos they nick off anyway and they are actually cute.🤣