SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Sethia Soliman

Sethia Soliman

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2022
What are your best tips for making a good impression?

Hello, dear members! Tomorrow, I (Sethia) am going to spend some time with my boyfriend’s family, and I’m not going to lie, I'm already feeling quite nervous! I've already met my lovely partner's mum, but this will be the first time I'll meet the rest of his relatives. Do YOU remember what it was like being introduced to your significant other's family members? What are your best tips for making a good impression? I could really use some help!

Screenshot 2024-05-31 at 10.07.05 AM.png
Source: Unsplash

Wasn't that easy for me when I met hubby's family as they mostly spoke Greek and very little English.

When my kids bring home a partner for the first time we love it when they join in on conversation but not take over.

We love when they try to help clean up , this is where some great conversation happens.

If you can cook then it's great to make a cake otherwise pick up something that looks nice.

If there are kids then acknowledge them, always goes down well when you talk to the kids.

Most importantly be yourself !

Remove your nose rings and cover your tattoos, take a bunch of flowers and offer to help with the tea etc.

Manners and be your true self.
My relationship was a first for both of us and I remember my very first meet the parents (even though the family knew me all my life). I was so nervous and it was for sunday lunch and a sunday dinner. My boyfriend (who became my husband) was setting the table and asked his mum which tablecloth to put on.. she replied " just the usual, she is only a garlo" (garlo being my surname). I never knew if that was a good thing or a bad thing, but I could always be my true self and from that day on we always had sunday lunch and dinner together until her passing. Their sunday lunch never changed, it was always home cooked scones for lunch followed by a sunday roast for dinner. I could never replicate her scones like she made. It was disclosed later in the relationship that the table we ate at was the same table my husband was born on. Ahhh the good old days.

I met my wife on a ship migrating from England. She was returning to her family in Adelaide after caring for her grandmother mother in Belfast. I was coming to Melbourne. She was 20,me 21. I told her if possible l would attend her 21 st. My first meeting with her family was almost a disaster. My flight was delayed, and there was no way to let them know. They all went to the airport to meet me. When l didn't arrive on time they went home thinking l wasn't coming. I phoned them to let know l had arrived. Not knowing how to get to where they lived, they came all the way back to get me. Fortunately they were glad to meet me , welcomed me with open arms. My girlfriends parents were lovely people, and we " hit it off" right from the start. My advice is just be yourself, and don't go empty handed. I became more a member of their family than my own.

Reactions: Jo Piper3
No matter how polite, compassionate, and respectful to others, I mostly get ignored.
So I thought of a way to leave a lasting impression. Next time, I see wet cement
I am going to walk on it!

Reactions: Littleboy8
No matter how polite, compassionate, and respectful to others, I mostly get ignored.
So I thought of a way to leave a lasting impression. Next time, I see wet cement
I am going to walk on it!
We used to write our names in it😊