SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Sethia Soliman

Sethia Soliman

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2022
What are your best gardening tips?

Hello, plant lovers! I'm starting to gain a deeper appreciation for gardening as I've been helping my mum run her mini plant shop during my free time. I would really love to start growing my very own garden too, hopefully, to have a fresh source of vegetables and spices in the future.

Screenshot 2023-03-14 at 7.44.46 AM.png
Source: Pexels

With that in mind, what are some of your best gardening tips for a complete beginner? What are the easiest vegetables to grow? And what are some do's and don'ts that I should keep in mind? Help a fellow plant lover out and share your favourite tips in the comments below!

Plastic plants are the way to go, that and silk flowers mixed with dried grasses. Works for me!! That and the terrarium my son bought me last year with strict instructions not to open the lid, ever, never!:)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Littleboy8 and RTS
Peace lily aka Madonna lily (Spathyphillum)is a good air purifier, looks lush, easy to maintain and is readily available. I water by placing in the shower, which also cleans the leaves. After it drain for a couple of hours it goes back in it's ceramic pot.
Indoor plants will get you interested in growing more.

I went crazy last weekend & purchased 6 flowering plants. As we have had some really hot weather I dug the holes where I want to plant them permanently. I have placed them in the holes for a week or 2 before planting in the ground. This has worked well for my Boronia. I love them but haven't been successful before

Reactions: Ricci
To determine if your plants need water, check the soil around the roots. If the soil feels dry to the touch, it's time to water. Water deeply, making sure that the water reaches the roots of the plant. Avoid watering the leaves, as this can promote the growth of fungal diseases.

It's also a good idea to water your plants early in the morning or late in the evening, when temperatures are cooler and the water is less likely to evaporate quickly. And be sure to use a watering can or hose with a spray nozzle to control the flow of water and avoid damaging delicate plants.

There's lots of good advice here. I wonder if Sethia has read it.

I find the article on using urine on plants interesting. My mum use to tell my Dad to go & pee on the citrus trees. Must have worked, as they had the best fruit in the district
Tha has always worked for instance if on your citrus leaf curl or leaves gone yellow urine is best fertiliser

Reactions: Littleboy8