What a cat-astrophe! An Aussie traveller's innocent encounter with a local animal became a costly lesson

The world is an absolute treasure trove of awe-inspiring destinations, and for adventurous Aussies looking to broaden their horizons and immerse themselves in new cultures, travelling is the ultimate escape.

One of the biggest perks of exploring unfamiliar lands is getting up close and personal with the local wildlife.

But as much as we all love animals, it's important to remember that they're still wild creatures, and we should always maintain a safe distance. Sounds like common sense, right?

Well, one Aussie tourist got a rude awakening on her trip to Nicaragua, and boy, did it cost her a pretty dollar!

Meet Sarah Lancaster from Tasmania. She was excited for her Nicaraguan adventure, ready to embrace the exotic landscapes and creatures of the region. Little did she know that a seemingly innocent encounter would turn into a wild (and expensive!) ride.

Screen Shot 2023-04-17 at 2.59.05 PM.png
An Australian tourist racked up a hefty medical bill after being bitten by a cat abroad. Credit: Unsplash/Yerlin Matu.

It was just a typical day at the hostel for Sarah, enjoying her Nicaraguan adventure and soaking in the local culture. As she bent down to pet the hostel’s cute resident cat, little did she know that this innocent gesture would turn her trip upside down!

The cat seemed friendly, and Sarah wasn't the only one giving it some love. But in a split second, the cat bit her finger, catching her off guard.

At first, Sarah brushed it off, thinking it was no big deal. But as she chatted with her Nicaraguan friends, doubts started creeping in – had the cat been vaccinated against rabies?

Concerned about the deadly virus that can be transmitted to humans through bites or saliva of infected animals, Sarah sought advice from Australian health authorities. What she heard left her stunned – she needed post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) treatment, and she couldn't get it in Nicaragua!

With the help of her travel insurance, Sarah had to fly all the way to Florida for the life-saving shots, and the bill? A jaw-dropping $60,000 (that's around $89,000 in AUD)!

'I couldn't believe the price of the shots. There's no way I could have paid for it on my own,' Sarah recalled, forever grateful for her travel insurance that covered the hefty medical costs.

If you are bitten by a cat, it is important to follow these steps_.jpg

Sarah's unfortunate experience serves as a powerful reminder to all travellers: never let your guard down when it comes to animals. Don't let her misfortune become yours – take heed of these crucial tips to stay safe and prepared for your adventures!

Before jetting off to an exotic destination, make sure to consult your doctor and get all the necessary vaccinations. Diseases like rabies are preventable, and taking the time to get vaccinated can save you from potential health risks.

No matter how cute or friendly an animal may seem, always exercise caution. Animals, even seemingly harmless ones, can still pose risks. Keep a safe distance, and avoid direct contact, especially with wild or stray animals.

In addition to vaccinations and cautious behaviour, having reliable travel insurance is an absolute must! Sarah's story is a stark reminder of the importance of being covered by a comprehensive travel insurance policy.

Medical emergencies can happen when least expected, and the last thing you want is to be caught off-guard with crippling medical bills.

As a traveller, it's important to be prepared for unexpected situations, including encounters with aggressive animals. While cat bites can pose risks, it's also crucial to know how to handle dog attacks if you witness one or find yourself as the target.

In this previous article, we delved into important information on what to do in case of a dog attack, including emergency steps and self-defence strategies to ensure your safety, whether while you're around the neighbourhood or travelling abroad.

Key Takeaways

• Sarah, an Aussie traveller, learned the hard way about the importance of being cautious around animals while travelling abroad after getting bitten by a cat in Nicaragua, which led to costly medical treatment for potential rabies exposure.
  • Her story serves as a cautionary tale, emphasising the need to stay vigilant around local and wild animals and have proper insurance coverage while exploring the world to ensure a safe and worry-free travel experience.

Members and fellow travellers, let's learn from Sarah's experience and take proactive steps to ensure our safety abroad. Do your research, take precautions around animals, and, most importantly, invest in a good travel insurance policy.

Stay safe, stay insured, and make your adventures worry-free!

Have you ever had an unexpected encounter with an animal while travelling abroad? How did you handle it, and what precautions did you take?

Do you have any advice you would give to fellow travellers when it comes to animal encounters during international travel? Any personal anecdotes or lessons learned? Share them in the comments!

• Wow
Reactions: Tillybug and Liag
Sponsored
Yep have been to Nicaragua, met quite a few Australians, if only I knew Sarah from Tassie I live there too, could have told her to be veeerrry careful of any animals there, they are just not the same as our domesticated cats dogs etc. At least she was smart enough to have Travel Insurance, unlike a lot of people who think too expensive I'll go without it and end up $1,000's in debt.

Reactions: Macarj and Disie
Yep have been to Nicaragua, met quite a few Australians, if only I knew Sarah from Tassie I live there too, could have told her to be veeerrry careful of any animals there, they are just not the same as our domesticated cats dogs etc. At least she was smart enough to have Travel Insurance, unlike a lot of people who think too expensive I'll go without it and end up $1,000's in debt.
If you think travel insurance is too expensive then you obviously can't afford to travel
I think travel insurance should be compulsory, no insurance then you can't leave the country.
I can never believe the hide of people who set up "Go Fund Me" pages expecting other people to contribute to their costs when they have been too lousy and too stupid to pay for their own insurance.
e.g. people who go to Bali, get plastered, hire a motorbike, have a self inflicted accident and then put up a bleeding heart post for help.🤷🤦

There's rabies still in America. When we went, people told us not to touch the cute wild Prairie dogs and squirrels in the neighbourhood as they have rabies.
We had travel insurance, but weren't taking the risk.

Reactions: Macarj
Agree, if you cant afford the insurance, you cant afford the trip. We were in the US and had stopped for the day, checked into a holiday inn and were prepared for bed when my husband jumped out of bed to send a quick email. He got as far as the TV coughed and passed out, dead stick straight back hit the floor and fractured his skull, the lump on the back of his head was the size of an avocado.
There is no way we would have been able to pay for the ambulance and private hospital ICU without insurance. So as soon as the trip is booked so is the insurance

The world is an absolute treasure trove of awe-inspiring destinations, and for adventurous Aussies looking to broaden their horizons and immerse themselves in new cultures, travelling is the ultimate escape.

One of the biggest perks of exploring unfamiliar lands is getting up close and personal with the local wildlife.

But as much as we all love animals, it's important to remember that they're still wild creatures, and we should always maintain a safe distance. Sounds like common sense, right?

Well, one Aussie tourist got a rude awakening on her trip to Nicaragua, and boy, did it cost her a pretty dollar!

Meet Sarah Lancaster from Tasmania. She was excited for her Nicaraguan adventure, ready to embrace the exotic landscapes and creatures of the region. Little did she know that a seemingly innocent encounter would turn into a wild (and expensive!) ride.

View attachment 17610
An Australian tourist racked up a hefty medical bill after being bitten by a cat abroad. Credit: Unsplash/Yerlin Matu.

It was just a typical day at the hostel for Sarah, enjoying her Nicaraguan adventure and soaking in the local culture. As she bent down to pet the hostel’s cute resident cat, little did she know that this innocent gesture would turn her trip upside down!

The cat seemed friendly, and Sarah wasn't the only one giving it some love. But in a split second, the cat bit her finger, catching her off guard.

At first, Sarah brushed it off, thinking it was no big deal. But as she chatted with her Nicaraguan friends, doubts started creeping in – had the cat been vaccinated against rabies?

Concerned about the deadly virus that can be transmitted to humans through bites or saliva of infected animals, Sarah sought advice from Australian health authorities. What she heard left her stunned – she needed post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) treatment, and she couldn't get it in Nicaragua!

With the help of her travel insurance, Sarah had to fly all the way to Florida for the life-saving shots, and the bill? A jaw-dropping $60,000 (that's around $89,000 in AUD)!

'I couldn't believe the price of the shots. There's no way I could have paid for it on my own,' Sarah recalled, forever grateful for her travel insurance that covered the hefty medical costs.

Sarah's unfortunate experience serves as a powerful reminder to all travellers: never let your guard down when it comes to animals. Don't let her misfortune become yours – take heed of these crucial tips to stay safe and prepared for your adventures!

Before jetting off to an exotic destination, make sure to consult your doctor and get all the necessary vaccinations. Diseases like rabies are preventable, and taking the time to get vaccinated can save you from potential health risks.

No matter how cute or friendly an animal may seem, always exercise caution. Animals, even seemingly harmless ones, can still pose risks. Keep a safe distance, and avoid direct contact, especially with wild or stray animals.

In addition to vaccinations and cautious behaviour, having reliable travel insurance is an absolute must! Sarah's story is a stark reminder of the importance of being covered by a comprehensive travel insurance policy.

Medical emergencies can happen when least expected, and the last thing you want is to be caught off-guard with crippling medical bills.

As a traveller, it's important to be prepared for unexpected situations, including encounters with aggressive animals. While cat bites can pose risks, it's also crucial to know how to handle dog attacks if you witness one or find yourself as the target.

In this previous article, we delved into important information on what to do in case of a dog attack, including emergency steps and self-defence strategies to ensure your safety, whether while you're around the neighbourhood or travelling abroad.

Key Takeaways

• Sarah, an Aussie traveller, learned the hard way about the importance of being cautious around animals while travelling abroad after getting bitten by a cat in Nicaragua, which led to costly medical treatment for potential rabies exposure.
  • Her story serves as a cautionary tale, emphasising the need to stay vigilant around local and wild animals and have proper insurance coverage while exploring the world to ensure a safe and worry-free travel experience.

Members and fellow travellers, let's learn from Sarah's experience and take proactive steps to ensure our safety abroad. Do your research, take precautions around animals, and, most importantly, invest in a good travel insurance policy.

Stay safe, stay insured, and make your adventures worry-free!

Have you ever had an unexpected encounter with an animal while travelling abroad? How did you handle it, and what precautions did you take?

Do you have any advice you would give to fellow travellers when it comes to animal encounters during international travel? Any personal anecdotes or lessons learned? Share them in the comments!
False reporting. Headline said it cost HER $89k. No it didn't

I was bitten by a dog in the Philippines, being a country that has rabies. Had the full course of injections, and they only cost around $200. I do not know which was worse, the dog or the injections, but I came out of it OK. The US is greatly over inflated with medical care costs.

People should really read things properly, it did NOT say it cost HER, it said the BILL was a hefty $89k, and travel insurance paid for it. That's why you NEVER leave for an Overseas holiday without the appropriate Travel Insurance.

Reactions: terri
I did insurance claims for 35 years including International Travel claims. I probably handled a few hundred thousands of these. I also carried the Emergency Mobile and was contactable 24/7 for emergency cases as this one would have been. All I can say is this case was badly handled. This woman should have been flown down to South Africa for all the shots required. If they did not have the required shots then they could have been put on a plane and flown to South Africa. Better yet, she should have been flown immediately home and the vaccines/shots arranged to be transported into Australia. This is not the first time this has happened and more serious cases than this lady in Africa with just her finger.

I'm guessing that the person that handles the Emergency travel Claims will be dismissed from this position and put down to just basic claims handling. Also, the International Medical Emergency company that this insurer uses needs to be investigated on what they 'medically recommended' and why??? fly her to Florida and not immediately back to Australia which would have been covered and the hospital put on notification of what treatment was required and in-coming 'hospital Emergency Repatriation patient. Hospitals get them all the time and hospitals all over the world getting patients flown back home for Emergency Hospital In-Patient and what has happened. I authorised these all the time. The cost with a doctor or nurse flying with her would have cost about $25,000 at most.

This lady would have been forced to return to Australia early anyway. Talk about mishandling of a claim. I often had the Medical Emergency company giving me 'incorrect information' and .... Believe Me .... I Called Them Out every single time and 'demanded to know WHY??? !!!! ... they even suggested that recommendation to me. Like one medical suggestion that they recommended for just one part of a claim was $100,000 and that was just part of the claim. I had approximately $50 Million - $200 Million on-going in claims all the time. Non-stop claims settled, closed more new ones and yes, some denied. People do really stupid things overseas and some think 'don't worry, I have travel insurance.' Use your common sense if you are travelling. You want to Bungee Jump, then do it in Australia where you have Medicare. Medicare DOES cover stupidity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wandiwa