SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Sethia Soliman

Sethia Soliman

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2022
What’s something embarrassing that you did on a first date?

If you're here, then chances are you're brave enough to take on a challenging get-to-know-each-other-session ;) Before I (Sethia) go ahead and share my story, I just want to give member Johnny P. a big shout-out for sending this suggestion over to us!

compressed-pexels-mikhail-nilov-8317675.jpeg
Source: Pexels

So, the very embarrassing date story that I was referring to in this afternoon's newsletter happened when I went on a fun trip to watch some live music with my current boyfriend. We booked an Airbnb for two nights, and in an effort to save a little more money, we agreed that we would cook each other dinner and breakfast. This little plan allowed us to dedicate most of our budget to other activities.

It's worth mentioning that my boyfriend and I currently don't live together yet, so we're still both in that honeymoon phase of getting to know each other better. He was very keen to show off his cooking skills, and even though I'm not very confident in that department... I was happy to do something new for him. Fine, I'll just say it... Gordon Ramsay would probably call me a donkey if he tasted my home-cooked meals.

Anyhow, I'm an early bird, so I offered to cook him breakfast on the second day of the trip, especially since he had already cooked me a heavenly dinner the night before that. I was excited and even tried to be sexy about it - hoping that it would somehow impress him or make him feel special. I was whipping up bacon, eggs, and garlic fried rice in only a shirt and even tried to arrange the food on his plate as best as I could.

Then, I brought his breakfast to bed, and he was ecstatic. He took a bite, and he said that he absolutely loved what I made for him. Thank god I didn't mess up what many would argue is the easiest and safest breakfast to cook, right? Wrong. Somewhere in the middle of eating, my boyfriend's eyes went wide, and he bolted out of bed saying, 'BABY, YOU LEFT THE STOVE ON!'

My heart dropped. Thankfully, I didn't melt the frying pan or start a fire... But I did cause enough smoke to set off the fire alarms in the entire building, which then led to guards barging in, and a very embarrassed Sethia apologising to several people for causing a panic while I was wrapped in a towel... As I was only in a shirt when it all went down. I wanted to fade into oblivion during that moment, but it's safe to say that everything went just fine after anyway. My boyfriend still laughs about that incident to this day, and he always reminds me to turn off the stove fire when I cook anything for myself at home.

I hope you enjoyed reading this! If you have a funny story to share, please do so in the comments! We love hearing from all of you :)

I was taken home to meet his Mum. She was a very elegant lady and well known local actress. Platters of food were passed around, all went well so far.Then the coffee was handed around followed by coffee crystals- great! Being the guest everything was passed to me first! Unfortunately I had never seen them before and promptly took a few in my fingers and ate them! I was so embarrassed to see everyone else put them in their coffee!
Another occasion was losing my contact lens in soup in a very flash restaurant! Having to ask the waiter to take it out to the kitchen and strain it!!

I whent on a First date with a real blond good looker.We went too the cinema we took our seats it was practically a full house
The movie started after a few minutes I shuffled in my seat and I pushed the seat in front of me with my feet when suddenly my seat snaped and it felt backward my seat was well and truly brocken I had to move two seats away from for the whole film.I have never been so embarrassed in all my life I was about seventeen at the time

I went on my first date with my now husband to the drive-in (yes in olden times). He was having a terrible time with severe noise bleeds. Well of course he suffered a bleed and being a loving girlfriend I offered to get some tissues from the shop. All good so far, but I ran into some friends, chatted for too long and the lights went out.. I eventually found the car with the tissues in hand. I think his nose had stopped bleeding by this time as well.

When I was about 15-16 I went out with a nice girl my mate had put me onto, she was the sister of his date everything was going well then after a nice afternoon it was suggested we go to the drive -in back seat having a kiss n cuddle I had an erection, bared up with nowhere to go so to speak worse lovers nuts ever

Very embarrassing, but we can't help it when we're young.
I was a long-term student, as usual with no spare money, and either no transport, or a couple of old unreliable klunker cars over the years, and no girlfriends. However, my tertiary class put on a special evening show that we all wanted to attend, and I borrowed a friend's father's car, as the father was overseas for some time. I had found a good-looking secretary who accepted my offer to go with me.
Not knowing anything about dating, I think that I bought her a box of chocolates (which broke me, on top of the cost for the evening), didn't compliment her on how nice she looked (which she did), hardly spoke to her (didn't know what to say, also no girls in our family to advise me), and DIDN'T EVEN SIT WITH HER ALL EVENING.
On saying goodnight at her place, I gave her a kiss ON THE CHEEK (left upper, I think--Dudley Moore). She practically slammed her front door. Never met her again, so far as I can recall. I wonder why?

Reactions: Pink lion
I was a young carpentry apprentice, and I had my new car about a month when I met her. She was awesome. We went into town for a movie and a meal.

On the way back I took her to the most beautiful local spot where a jetty protruded out into the moonlight. It was magical.
I cannot recall her name, but I clearly recall how I failed miserably as she never forgave me (and yes, I get it though I do expect some will scold me) for sure.

I remember hugging her tightly into me on the moonlit jetty and she said "I want to always remember this moment" so yep.. I pushed her backwards off the jetty and jumped in immediately in next to her.

Instead of great laughter as I had expected, what arose from the waist deep water was the face of a very shocked and upset woman, her beautiful hair, all sodden lay sprawled all over her face her dress saturated and know, she could not be reconciled.

I drove her home in remorse, and she never talked again, that night was the end of us.

The thing is at that young stage of my life I REALLY DID expect her to laugh... yep, I failed big time. She was gorgeous, as in not just really pretty, there was a lot of depth to that young woman. Lesson learned.

I never did that sort of thing again.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Sethia Soliman
I was taken home to meet his Mum. She was a very elegant lady and well known local actress. Platters of food were passed around, all went well so far.Then the coffee was handed around followed by coffee crystals- great! Being the guest everything was passed to me first! Unfortunately I had never seen them before and promptly took a few in my fingers and ate them! I was so embarrassed to see everyone else put them in their coffee!
Another occasion was losing my contact lens in soup in a very flash restaurant! Having to ask the waiter to take it out to the kitchen and strain it!!
What are coffee crystals?

When I was 17 years old I went out with a gorgeous guy I'd had a crush on for ages. He took me to a nice restaurant and halfway through the meal I had to excuse myself to go to the loo. I pushed the door open, walked into an ante-chamber, then pushed another door open to enter the loo. The first thought that struck me was, "What a funny looking loo!", the second thought was, "What is a man doing in the ladies' loo?", and the third thought was, "Oh my gosh, I'm getting out of here". I had walked into the Gents by mistake. I had never seen one before and had no idea that they were very different to the Ladies. After recovering in the Ladies, I walked back into the restaurant and blurted out to my date, "You'll never guess what I just did". He very icily informed me that he knew exactly what I had done. Apparently, the bloke in the toilet came back into the restaurant, announced to the entire restaurant what I had done, and everybody looked at me when I came back in. Funnily enough, there wasn't a second date. (P.S. Years later, I ran across my date at my daughter's school. He was a fellow parent and I knew his wife. I now think I had a lucky escape and she is welcome to him!)

• Haha
When I was about 15-16 I went out with a nice girl my mate had put me onto, she was the sister of his date everything was going well then after a nice afternoon it was suggested we go to the drive -in back seat having a kiss n cuddle I had an erection, bared up with nowhere to go so to speak worse lovers nuts ever
My jaw DROPPED! Hahahaha! Thanks for making me laugh today.

I went on a first date to a hotel for lunch and didn't look what I was doing and knocked my drink into my dinner and all over the table cloth. Luckily we are still together I have done a few other silly things lol

Country Boy and Shy. I had asked if she would like to go to the movies on the weekend.
At 25 yrs and still very nervous, I got into town early, had a couple of beers with my mates and somehow had a few too many... went to the toilet and sat down and promptly went to sleep.
Next a knock on the door and her girlfriend had come looking for me.. she woke me up and berated me etc... that was the first date.. Too intoxicated to go on any date... I made up for it the following weekend ... I actually bought a bunch of flowers and took her to dinner BEFORE the movies. The rest is history.

• Haha
When I was 17 years old I went out with a gorgeous guy I'd had a crush on for ages. He took me to a nice restaurant and halfway through the meal I had to excuse myself to go to the loo. I pushed the door open, walked into an ante-chamber, then pushed another door open to enter the loo. The first thought that struck me was, "What a funny looking loo!", the second thought was, "What is a man doing in the ladies' loo?", and the third thought was, "Oh my gosh, I'm getting out of here". I had walked into the Gents by mistake. I had never seen one before and had no idea that they were very different to the Ladies. After recovering in the Ladies, I walked back into the restaurant and blurted out to my date, "You'll never guess what I just did". He very icily informed me that he knew exactly what I had done. Apparently, the bloke in the toilet came back into the restaurant, announced to the entire restaurant what I had done, and everybody looked at me when I came back in. Funnily enough, there wasn't a second date. (P.S. Years later, I ran across my date at my daughter's school. He was a fellow parent and I knew his wife. I now think I had a lucky escape and she is welcome to him!)
You got lucky there he sounded like a real piece of work ... just sayin'

Reactions: MotherGoose
I was a young carpentry apprentice, and I had my new car about a month when I met her. She was awesome. We went into town for a movie and a meal.

On the way back I took her to the most beautiful local spot where a jetty protruded out into the moonlight. It was magical.
I cannot recall her name, but I clearly recall how I failed miserably as she never forgave me (and yes, I get it though I do expect some will scold me) for sure.

I remember hugging her tightly into me on the moonlit jetty and she said "I want to always remember this moment" so yep.. I pushed her backwards off the jetty and jumped in immediately in next to her.

Instead of great laughter as I had expected, what arose from the waist deep water was the face of a very shocked and upset woman, her beautiful hair, all sodden lay sprawled all over her face her dress saturated and know, she could not be reconciled.

I drove her home in remorse, and she never talked again, that night was the end of us.

The thing is at that young stage of my life I REALLY DID expect her to laugh... yep, I failed big time. She was gorgeous, as in not just really pretty, there was a lot of depth to that young woman. Lesson learned.

I never did that sort of thing again.
Yes i had a very Otter-istic association with girls. I really loved their company, but males and females play differently, and I knew immediately that I had seriously failed.