Westpac to close even more branches, what does this mean for customers?

The recession has been tough on businesses both large and small. We've seen major corporations close their doors and thousands of small businesses forced to downsize or close altogether.

The recession has been especially hard on businesses that were already struggling. Many businesses that were hanging on by a thread have been unable to weather the storm and have had to stop operations.

The financial sector is one of the industries that has been hit the hardest by the economic downturn. With sky-high inflation rates and a struggling economy, many financial businesses have been forced to close.

In what the banking sector union referred to as a 'savage wave of cost-cutting,' Westpac Group will close 24 additional branches in addition to the 24 it closed last month — a move that could result in the layoff of hundreds of staff.

The announcement comes after it was reported by the Finance Sector Union (FSU) that the group will be closing down several branches across the country.

It should be noted that the Westpac Group also operates St George, Bank of Melbourne and Bank SA.

KcGtAMmu2Tresw5rM3yqDEOcOxtrcRjjoO28OSCab_K_0kzazhXeAZmUMlLfWIn0yOAVGN3tede22gNK67YwQzPSmowzARPbH_5CEp7N0Oq-bpODe6kSHQTxH0fEBvKX-tjT1SviT8hBUvcfrnUkcD3yl8PF6xU_UjcNp-1ueHa4nmsu2WTklvTu

Westpac announced the closure of 24 more branches following the shutdown of 24 other branches last month. Credit: Mark Baker/AP.

It was also reported last month that a number of large bank branches will be closing in the coming months, with Westpac Group making the biggest reduction with plans to close 24 locations statewide.

FSU also announced the closure of three more Commonwealth Bank locations in NSW and SA.

The Westpac Group attributed the ongoing closures to the decrease of clients visiting branches.

A Westpac spokesperson said: 'With more than five million digitally active customers, we’re investing in services to complement how our customers choose to bank.'

'We take steps to ensure customers are notified in advance about the changes and are directly connected with the services they need to continue to do their banking.'

'For those who are new to digital banking, or may require more assistance with the changes, we provide dedicated support and education to make the transition easier.'

The following branches will be shut down:

• Westpac: NSW - Vincentia, Yass; QLD - Lake St Cairns, Loganholme, Creek and Elizabeth St, Brisbane, Ayr; VIC - Moe, Ferntree Gully, Boronia, Torquay; WA - Bridgetown, Collie, Tom Price, Wongan Hills
  • St George: NSW - Camden, Wynyard
  • Bank of Melbourne: Kew, Northcote, 100 Collins St, Warrnambool, Mildura
  • Bank SA; Yankalilla, Mannum, McLaren Vale

The current round of 'cost-cutting' will affect thousands of retail and commercial clients, according to FSU, who said that Westpac's closures are now a 'monthly attack'.

FSU national secretary Julia Angrisano remarked: 'This is no longer cutting the fat from Westpac, this latest carving up of Westpac’s branches is slicing right into the core of the bank with staff morale at rock bottom as they wait for the axe to fall on what’s left of the branch network.'

'It is clear Westpac has no regard for the community across Australia after shutting down 225 branches since January 2021.'

55au5e1UK3c_-AUqu6NektRfWlHm_hGpdxzrvyYIWarwJSGthDYcaBSqUic3k5jlUR_PvYxgZpEYNvthMaOIonut10Yc-CrnheTc-jtwt5RNy3qwdyWfVjWqdE6u8QKW-5JnHm_C9fk0bW0HhSad5p-Ivki2EWZxgA4-CSJZEKwtquqv5fLnzpbt

The Westpac group pledged to assist employees that will be affected by the shutdown in looking for other positions within the company (Picture: Westpac CEO Peter King). Credit: Mick Tsikas/AAP Image.

According to FSU, 103 bank employees' jobs will be impacted by the shutdown.

The Westpac Group promised its staff that it would help them find new positions with the business.

A spokesperson claimed: 'We have a robust process in place to assist employees to find new opportunities within Westpac Group, meaning the majority of employees affected secure a new role and continue their career in the Group,'

The closures are a major blow to the economy, as the financial sector is a major driver of growth. When businesses in the financial sector close, it has a ripple effect throughout the economy, especially the employment rate in Australia.

This is why it's so important for the government to provide support during times of economic struggle. By doing so, they could help prevent further damage to the economy and help businesses stay afloat.

Do you think the government is doing enough to address this looming employment crisis? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
It means an extra distance to travel to the only branch left in our area, in a more busy and inconvenient location. Extra walking for oldies. Not happy!. After 50 years at that branch that was closed, very disappointed . Trying to get us to do on line banking. NEVER. Also ATMs gone, so now have to pay $2.80 to get cash from other machines.

My local BOQ branch is closing.
I opened my account over twenty years ago and it's been moved, by the bank, to three different branches over that time. Now I'm back at the original branch. I'm thinking of changing banks.

If what Suzanne rose says is correct, what pray tell happens to the elderly people in the community who don't have computers? I know a number of people that are in this situation and some of them are not old. They struggle just to pay rent to keep a roof over their heads, put food on the table and pay utility bills, there's not enough money left to pay for a computer let alone an internet provider.

You've said it PepelLePew in every detail. When I was a kid I felt important when my parents took me into a Bank & a Jewelry Store. Today one heads for the Bank & wonders if it is still there. Elderly people I know who can't understand computers & many who haven't one will be in real trouble. Not all of us are quick learners in the twilight years. I am so lucky I have kept up with the times, but I STILL have a "thing" about accounts on line. I am still banking MY WAY inasmuch as a personal cheque & many of the youngsters on line want money directed straight to their accounts as it is quicker. Moving with the times means you either were easier. Technology has made it difficult for older people who were slotted into what I call "the easy way" but not too many alterations have ruffled my feathers except my fear of what is happening to my aged friends. Many have pushers, limited walking, leg troubles, even a partial invalid, & their banking is important to them all. Two I know now will have no banking facility near them whatsoever. I know "panic mode" has kicked in already. It is so clear they want us all to go on-line & this is not going to see everyone happy. Why? MORE worry with no jobs etc & yet it is common knowledge we are urged to believe there are plenty of jobs out there . What has happened to our lovely Country? Our beautiful Queen is not buried yet & our Prime Minister a few weeks ago began talking about our coinage change & being a Republic. Time changes so many things but why straight away when the world is in mourning. As I have previously said many times, "There is a time & place for everything." How can we ever be on top of it all again when everything we start never gets finished? We simply cannot go on like this.
Starting projects without finishing them is like an untidy house when all rooms are trying to be cleaned @ once but none get finished. OH just a PS for my friends please if you know. Why are so many people rejecting cheques? A few have sincerely said to me, "I don't trust them". Why? Would you believe I had to explain to a 22 yr old how we use them. She is very intelligent but has never heard of a cheque.

My Westpac branch at Stafford City in Brisbane closed ages ago along with NBA. Now I have to get the bus to Brookside shops or Chermside Shops to use it personally. The Post Office is a place to withdraw from but if you need one-to-one, that is the case. I am one of the 'resisters' of this selfish move by Westpac and when I didn't receive my usual Bank Statement in the post, had to go there to arrange it again. It seems they just decided to get people to do it on-line, no warning. It didn't do any good, but I did have my say. Older people are definitely not being considered. There's a Commonwealth Bank open in the Stafford shops and I'm wondering how difficult it might be to change over to them with all my direct debits I use to pay bills.

What does a business do with a day's takings if there is nowhere to make a deposit? Not as if they can bank this online, can they? This would be the problem in a country town, surely?

You may be able to do some transactions at Post Offices but in W.A. they are becoming quite rare now. One near me in a busy Industrial area was closed years ago. It also served as a Postal Centre from where Posties gathered & sorted mail & still does. As this was in a thriving Industrial area, closing this seemed pointless.

If all this is progress take me back to the good old days. Do away with all these electronics, bring back a Postie who blew a whistle when the mail was delivered, a Bank where the Teller would smile & great you pleasantly & all the other personal services we once enjoyed.
Are we in fact going backwards in the name of progress? More poverty & unemployment & ............?

Reactions: Ricci
What does a business do with a day's takings if there is nowhere to make a deposit? Not as if they can bank this online, can they? This would be the problem in a country town, surely?

You may be able to do some transactions at Post Offices but in W.A. they are becoming quite rare now. One near me in a busy Industrial area was closed years ago. It also served as a Postal Centre from where Posties gathered & sorted mail & still does. As this was in a thriving Industrial area, closing this seemed pointless.

If all this is progress take me back to the good old days. Do away with all these electronics, bring back a Postie who blew a whistle when the mail was delivered, a Bank where the Teller would smile & great you pleasantly & all the other personal services we once enjoyed.
Are we in fact going backwards in the name of progress? More poverty & unemployment & ............?
I remember years ago (40 odd) being saved from losing I don't know how much money because my Bank Manager knew me, my circumstances, thought something was odd and gave me a phone call. It wouldn't happen today, I don't even think banks have managers any more do they and if they do they sure as heck don't know their customers.
We were within a week of leaving the UK for Australia, had sold our house and had all that money waiting to be transferred. The manager called me and asked if I was up to cheque number xyz in my cheque book, I told him no that was still 30 cheques further on. He asked me to go through my cheque book and let him know of any cheques missing. In total there were 6 cheques missing from random places in the book. Long story short, it was a work colleague who had stollen my cheques, he had been caught on the Banks security tapes trying to cash the first one for $500. He thought he could get away with it as I was going overseas and probably wouldn't notice after my money had been converted to the new currency. He lost his job and the Police asked for our permission to prosecute which we gave, I don't know the outcome. If it wasn't for a curious bank teller, a manager who knew our circumstances and was proactive we could have been seriously fleeced. That outcome wouldn't happen today.:(

Reactions: Ezzy
You've said it PepelLePew in every detail. When I was a kid I felt important when my parents took me into a Bank & a Jewelry Store. Today one heads for the Bank & wonders if it is still there. Elderly people I know who can't understand computers & many who haven't one will be in real trouble. Not all of us are quick learners in the twilight years. I am so lucky I have kept up with the times, but I STILL have a "thing" about accounts on line. I am still banking MY WAY inasmuch as a personal cheque & many of the youngsters on line want money directed straight to their accounts as it is quicker. Moving with the times means you either were easier. Technology has made it difficult for older people who were slotted into what I call "the easy way" but not too many alterations have ruffled my feathers except my fear of what is happening to my aged friends. Many have pushers, limited walking, leg troubles, even a partial invalid, & their banking is important to them all. Two I know now will have no banking facility near them whatsoever. I know "panic mode" has kicked in already. It is so clear they want us all to go on-line & this is not going to see everyone happy. Why? MORE worry with no jobs etc & yet it is common knowledge we are urged to believe there are plenty of jobs out there . What has happened to our lovely Country? Our beautiful Queen is not buried yet & our Prime Minister a few weeks ago began talking about our coinage change & being a Republic. Time changes so many things but why straight away when the world is in mourning. As I have previously said many times, "There is a time & place for everything." How can we ever be on top of it all again when everything we start never gets finished? We simply cannot go on like this.
Starting projects without finishing them is like an untidy house when all rooms are trying to be cleaned @ once but none get finished. OH just a PS for my friends please if you know. Why are so many people rejecting cheques? A few have sincerely said to me, "I don't trust them". Why? Would you believe I had to explain to a 22 yr old how we use them. She is very intelligent but has never heard of a cheque.
My 22 year old son who works in real estate received a cheque for $107 from his insurance as he changed insurer, he said to me ' who gives these things today ' I said what it's a cheque , he then gave it to me as he didn't want to go into the bank. Lucky it only had his first initial and last name which is the same as hubby's

Otherwise it would have sat in his draw for years

Last edited:
Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
I do online banking but my husband refuses too.

I think banks think everyone can use their phones for banking.

The one thing I refuse to do is have my keycard on my phone
I refuse to have my banking details on my phone, I do all my online banking from my laptop. I'm too scared my phone will get lost, or hacked or whatever.

Reactions: Ezzy
I remember years ago (40 odd) being saved from losing I don't know how much money because my Bank Manager knew me, my circumstances, thought something was odd and gave me a phone call. It wouldn't happen today, I don't even think banks have managers any more do they and if they do they sure as heck don't know their customers.
We were within a week of leaving the UK for Australia, had sold our house and had all that money waiting to be transferred. The manager called me and asked if I was up to cheque number xyz in my cheque book, I told him no that was still 30 cheques further on. He asked me to go through my cheque book and let him know of any cheques missing. In total there were 6 cheques missing from random places in the book. Long story short, it was a work colleague who had stollen my cheques, he had been caught on the Banks security tapes trying to cash the first one for $500. He thought he could get away with it as I was going overseas and probably wouldn't notice after my money had been converted to the new currency. He lost his job and the Police asked for our permission to prosecute which we gave, I don't know the outcome. If it wasn't for a curious bank teller, a manager who knew our circumstances and was proactive we could have been seriously fleeced. That outcome wouldn't happen today.:(
You were very lucky Ricci. In today's modern world everyone is just an account. I think people have forgotten how to say 'hello, how are you today' & everything that goes with it. I know our Bendigo Bank has a Manager, a friendly lady whose door is always open & has time for a chat, but other banks, possibly not.

Our Credit Card Centre has been quick to notify us of suspect transactions, thankfully.

Reactions: Ricci