Westpac introduces new scheme to boost Aussies' savings

In an era where every penny counts and the cost of living seems to rise, finding ways to maximise our savings is more important than ever.

A banking giant introduced a nifty feature that could significantly improve Australians' bank balances and help them get the most out of their hard-earned money.

Westpac rolled out a new alert system to help customers take advantage of opportunities to earn bonus interest on their savings.

With the simple addition of a mobile phone push notification, Westpac nudges customers towards better financial habits and potentially more significant savings.

This innovative feature is part of Westpac's broader commitment to empowering customers with digital tools that allow them to make informed financial decisions.

compressed-westpac.jpeg
Westpac's new alert scheme allows customers to save money while keeping their savings safe. Image Credit: Shutterstock/Marlon Trottmann

Westpac's Managing Director of Transactional Banking, Mandy Rutherford, emphasised the bank's intention to simplify the process of maximising clients' 'hard-earned savings'.

'These prompts are designed to help customers better understand opportunities to earn bonus interest and allow them to act quickly,' she shared.

Since the mobile alert's rollout, around 107,000 Westpac clients have already benefited, earning an average of $201 in interest.

That's a collective $21 million in interest earnings, all thanks to a timely nudge on their smartphones.

How does this work? By growing their balance, Westpac customers can earn bonus interest on their Westpac Life savings account each month.

It's a straightforward strategy that encourages regular saving and spending habits that can lead to significant returns over time.

Moreover, Westpac keeps its customers in the loop with online and mobile alerts for other critical financial matters, such as when introductory bonus rates expire or term deposits are nearing maturity.

This level of communication is crucial, especially in a financial landscape that can often feel overwhelming.

Westpac's announcement is poignant, as many Australians grapple with the cost of living crisis.

Major banks nationwide are stepping up and introducing features and services to provide relief and support to customers.

The Commonwealth Bank announced measures like loan deferrals and customised loan repayments for some borrowers earlier this year.

In these challenging times, banks recognise the need to offer more than just a place to store money.

They are becoming partners in financial well-being, offering tools and services to help Australians navigate economic uncertainties.

If you're a Westpac customer or considering where to park your savings, this could be a game-changer.

It's a simple yet effective way to ensure you get the most out of your savings.

Key Takeaways

• Westpac has announced a new mobile push notification system to alert customers about earning bonus interest on their savings.
  • Customers have already benefited from the alert system, with some earning an average of $201 in interest.
  • The prompts are part of Westpac's efforts to employ digital tools to help customers maximise their savings and make informed financial decisions.
  • The new feature is especially beneficial for those affected by the cost-of-living crisis.
Have you taken advantage of Westpac's new savings alert system? You may have found other clever ways to boost your savings. Share your experiences and tips in the comments below.

Sponsored
We have a Life Account. Don't take any money out, put in money every month, as little as $1.00 and earn bonus interest. It's helping us out in the current cost of living crisis. Rather than a term deposit, which is around the same earnings but the money is tied up, our Life Account money is available if we need it for some unexpected big emergency. And no, I do not work at Westpac! Just trying to make a little extra income via bank interest.

We have a Life Account. Don't take any money out, put in money every month, as little as $1.00 and earn bonus interest. It's helping us out in the current cost of living crisis. Rather than a term deposit, which is around the same earnings but the money is tied up, our Life Account money is available if we need it for some unexpected big emergency. And no, I do not work at Westpac! Just trying to make a little extra income via bank interest.
Westpac is the last bank I would do business with. Left them 0ver 30 years ago and have not set foot in any of their branches since.

Reactions: RealityCheck
Since the mobile alert's rollout, around 107,000 Westpac clients have already benefited, earning an average of $201 in interest.

Does it cost $200 to benefit from this scheme?
Show me the proof where people have benefitted from the scheme... is the $201 per month or per year, and what is the value of the investment....

Show me the proof where people have benefitted from the scheme... is the $201 per month or per year, and what is the value of the investment....
It depends on how much you have in the account. It based on your account balance. Most people, like us, put money in there to make income out of it. We make more than $201 a month.

great idea but if your renting from govt housing and certain amount of money in the bank , like I had in the past they take that as income and my rent went up $24.00 fortnight, I am not talking of thousands of dollars I had $1,200.00 for my rego and other bills it's not fair

• Angry
Reactions: LeahI
In these challenging times, banks recognise the need to offer more than just a place to store money.

OH the big hearts of these guys.

• Love
Reactions: Pudpye
I found having a ING Max Saver acc which pay 5,5% earns me mor than a Westpac life savings which only pays 5%