Westpac brings out new strategy to save you millions from fraudsters

In an era where digital transactions are as common as a morning cuppa, the threat of online scams looms large, particularly for those who may not be tech-savvy.

But there's good news on the horizon for customers of Westpac, one of Australia's big four banks, who are taking a stand against these digital-age bandits with a pioneering new security feature.

Westpac has recently introduced an innovative AI-powered tool called Westpac SaferPay, designed to add a layer of protection for its customers against the ever-evolving tactics of scammers.

This new feature is a game-changer in the fight against fraud, and here's why it's such a big deal.

Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 9.01.58 AM.png
Westpac launched Westpac SaferPay to combat scams. Credit: Westpac

The Westpac SaferPay system is a clever blend of technology and human intuition.

When you're about to make a payment that the system flags as potentially risky, it will prompt you to answer a series of dynamic questions.

These aren't your run-of-the-mill security questions; they're tailored to the situation and designed to make you think twice about the transaction you're about to make.

For instance, if you're about to send money for an investment opportunity that you stumbled upon via an unexpected phone call or a social media ad, the system might ask you to confirm the details of the investment and how you found out about it.

If your responses raise red flags, indicating a high likelihood of a scam, Westpac will put the brakes on the transaction.

Over the past two years, Westpac's vigilant fraud detection systems have prevented customers from losing over $400 million to these nefarious schemes.

With the introduction of Westpac SaferPay, CEO Peter King is confident that they can save Australians millions more.

‘While our prevention measures have led to a considerable drop in customer losses over the last year, fraudsters are still taking millions of dollars from our customers each month—particularly through fake investment offers, impersonation calls and texts, and intercepted emails,’ he said.

‘This innovation is the first of its kind in Australia and will add important friction to payments deemed to have high scam risk.’

Initially, Westpac SaferPay will be integrated into the Westpac mobile banking app, with plans to extend it to online banking in the near future.

This proactive approach is particularly crucial as we've seen a rise in various types of scams this year, including investment scams, business email compromise, romance scams, remote access scams, and buying and selling scams.

You can watch Westpac’s video below:

Credit: Westpac Banking / YouTube

Key Takeaways

• Westpac has introduced a new AI-powered security feature called Westpac SaferPay to combat scam tactics in online banking.
  • The Westpac SaferPay system will prompt customers with dynamic questions during risky transactions to determine the likelihood of a scam.
  • Westpac has prevented customer losses of more than $400 million to scammers in the past two years, with the new feature expected to save millions more.
  • This innovative security measure will initially be available through the Westpac mobile banking app, with plans to extend it to online banking.
Have you used Westpac SaferPay already? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
Hi
I have tried to make a payment via the westpac bank. It is not a scam as I know the person I was making a loan on behalf to a company . I have invested in the company myself. Despite this Westpac have blocked the payment for 15 days which finally went thru.blocked my bank account twice my phone access and caused hugh stress and anxiety.I have had the scam team investigate getting the money back. I haven't instigated this and Westpac think its their decision regarding this matter.As a valued customer I am disgusted by this action. This is overkill. I need to employ a lawyer to sue the bank for this. What gives Westpac the right to interfere in my business affairs.

Hi
I have tried to make a payment via the westpac bank. It is not a scam as I know the person I was making a loan on behalf to a company . I have invested in the company myself. Despite this Westpac have blocked the payment for 15 days which finally went thru.blocked my bank account twice my phone access and caused hugh stress and anxiety.I have had the scam team investigate getting the money back. I haven't instigated this and Westpac think its their decision regarding this matter.As a valued customer I am disgusted by this action. This is overkill. I need to employ a lawyer to sue the bank for this. What gives Westpac the right to interfere in my business affairs.
Just change to a bank with less diligent fraud safety measures. I will stick with Westpac as I appreciate their policy. Always go into a branch to make large transactions. They can ask me anything they like.

Hi
If you were being scammed and they didn't intervene you would be singing from a different song sheet.

Hi
Just finished saying to my husband "now we' ll hear from the idiots who'll start complaining about the Bank interfering in their affairs".
These are usually the ones who scream the loudest when they get scammed.
It didn't take long!
If your friend needs a loan to invest I would suggest he can't afford to invest
What sort of a "friend" does that.
There is an old saying about never lending money to friends or family for a good reason.
You should be grateful to your bank for having your best interests at heart.

Last night on TV news a woman (certainly not elderly) was conned (thinking she was talking to her friends on Facebook) into transferring $10K into some account under the assumption that if she did this she would get $200K in return. Honestly, where are peoples' brains??? As I keep on saying it all comes down to one word "greed". She did not do her homework until after she was conned. Finally she rang her friends and found out it was not them she had been talking to on Facebook. Who on earth would give you $200k in return for $10K???

The scammer's creed, "Never give a sucker an even break." It's all very well to criticise suckers for being suckers, but there are a lot of very naive people in this world, which is why people vote for psychopaths to be our "leaders". At least scammers only steal our money, and not our lives.

The scammer's creed, "Never give a sucker an even break." It's all very well to criticise suckers for being suckers, but there are a lot of very naive people in this world, which is why people vote for psychopaths to be our "leaders". At least scammers only steal our money, and not our lives.
Maybe some of the suckers need to keep off Facebook. This lady now has!

Reactions: maherdj
Hi

Yes; chuck that mobile phone into the deep blue sea. But you might get some fishy kind of phone call.............

• Haha
Reactions: Noraya
What right have they got to intervene in an investment? If I wanted to transfer money to buy some shares and they wanted to know all the details, I would tell them NO, they could unlawfully use that info for their own gain. If they refused the transfer I'd sue them for any LOSSES if the price of the shares went up. Going cashless gives THEM total control. All they have to do is use a phone to verify who you are.