Dougal

Aug 22, 2021
We're ready to fix your internet problem

Next time you get a call supposedly from Telstra, NBN wi-fi, Microsoft, etc about
your faulty internet; use the “Hermann Gruntfuttock” defence.
“What?” I hear you say.
One day the phone rang; silence.
When the silence goes on for quite a while you know it’s an Indian call centre’s
autodial system which automatically dials phone numbers in sequence until it
detects a human voice, then it transfers the call to the team of scammers.
Sure enough a very Indian voice asking me how am I, to which I replied by
asking why are you calling me.
“I’m from Telstra” she said, “We have detected a fault in your internet, so are
ready now to fix it for you” to which I replied, “Are you looking at my account
at the moment?”
“Yes“ was the reply, following which I said “I’ll advise you of my name to make
sure it is my account you’re looking at”
Then I said “My name is Hermann Gruntfuttock, Hermann with two n’s; is that
my account you’re calling about?”
“Yes” was her reply, followed by me saying “Bye bye”
The other day I received yet another call supposedly from Telstra; so just in case
they had recorded Hermann Gruntfuttock as a dud, I used a different name.
My name is Norbert Goosecreature I said.
Did it work? ……………….Yes!
I’ll now need to come up with a new idiotic alias; got a suggestion?

Well I'm glad you asked. In Scandinavian countries it is pronounced as fuck but I have also heard it (in Australia) being pronounced as fuch where the ch is pronounced as ch as in ch-ur-ch. I shall leave to you.

Interestingly I also received a simular call a couple of years ago and was told by the Indian (??) person about the problems with my Telstra account. Ha! The joke was that I am not a Telstra customer. Go figure, eh. 😄😄

Perhaps a more modest version would be Walter Tapp.

I have adopted another process when I'm in a playful mood and have the time whereby I interrupt
the caller to say "Sorry I can't understand what you're saying, please start again and speak slower"

They then start to repeat what they said before, and I interrupt again by saying "Didn't quite catch
the second word, please repeat it"

They then repeat that word and I reply by using a rhyme of the word "Sorry don't understand what
(the rhymed word) means" so they repeat it again and I reply again with a different rhyme of the word
so they repeat it yet again.

I then say "sorry don't understand what (another rhyme of the word) means, could you please spell
it" which they do and I respond with "Ah, (correct pronunciation of the word)"

The interruption process then continues on with the 3rd or 4th word etc until "beep beep beep .........

Last edited: