TrishaC

Staff member
May 30, 2022
"Weird" Earring Wearing Method goes Viral, Sparks Debate Online

Are you wearing your earrings wrong? Well, according to one image or ‘meme’ as the grandkids call it, you might be.

You've probably noticed small spherical pieces of plastic attached to the rear of your studs or hoops if you wear them.

After it was discovered that these plastic fragments could be removed, a social media post went viral.

“After my nineteen years of living, I have now realised you are supposed to take the plastic part off,” reads the post, which includes photographs of the plastic backing being removed.

E8WlgIa8LEMtWDp3lt-Enw6tOw-Gr-9Y2mHyiIpqDR3i1ohIOrSywueMZyLkj5_iE-TiEVFn9S2grcFlFIGgZn6shBn8IZy1yuc_EXdJgo6ee88QorP82QCiSOwLFrRDeRd4GYdBuddaWqUDyQ

Source: Yahoo.com

The photograph, which was first tweeted by Chelsea Smith in 2015, has lately resurfaced on the Facebook group, Mum Central, and is once again blowing people's minds.

‘You learn something new every day,’ one mum wrote.

‘Loool. I didn't know that either and I'm 46!’ another commented.

‘Really? I never knew that! I've always left the plastic on!’ another added.

But are you really supposed to remove them?

Not everyone agrees that the small plastic pieces should be removed. Many Facebook users argue that these clear backings serve a purpose and should be left alone.

‘Don't remove the plastic, it gives the ear more stability with the earring. Take it from an earring maker,’ one commenter said.

‘No, you are not. These are called safety backs, and they can prevent regular backs from being pushed into the hole. For kids, the back can be pushed into the hole and can even start to grow around the back. This keeps that from happening,’ another wrote.

‘I don't take them off. I have metal allergies and it keeps the back from touching my ear,’ another woman said.

Backings aren't included with all earrings and are actually offered separately online, implying that they have a purpose. Ultimately, whether you want to wear backings on your earrings is a matter of personal preference.

What about you? Do you remove the plastic backings that come with your earrings? Why? Why not? Tell us all about it in the comments below!

Reactions: Ezzy, BJM and Ricci
I leave them on, I think its better on the back of your ear as the clip is sometimes so small it can go into the back of the ear. It also helps me put it on as it gives me something larger to grip onto.

If you have heavy earrings and small backings the earrings sometimes droop but if you use the plastic backing your ratty sit nicely on your ears.

Reactions: Ezzy and Phyll
"Weird" Earring Wearing Method goes Viral, Sparks Debate Online

Are you wearing your earrings wrong? Well, according to one image or ‘meme’ as the grandkids call it, you might be.

You've probably noticed small spherical pieces of plastic attached to the rear of your studs or hoops if you wear them.

After it was discovered that these plastic fragments could be removed, a social media post went viral.

“After my nineteen years of living, I have now realised you are supposed to take the plastic part off,” reads the post, which includes photographs of the plastic backing being removed.

E8WlgIa8LEMtWDp3lt-Enw6tOw-Gr-9Y2mHyiIpqDR3i1ohIOrSywueMZyLkj5_iE-TiEVFn9S2grcFlFIGgZn6shBn8IZy1yuc_EXdJgo6ee88QorP82QCiSOwLFrRDeRd4GYdBuddaWqUDyQ

Source: Yahoo.com

The photograph, which was first tweeted by Chelsea Smith in 2015, has lately resurfaced on the Facebook group, Mum Central, and is once again blowing people's minds.

‘You learn something new every day,’ one mum wrote.

‘Loool. I didn't know that either and I'm 46!’ another commented.

‘Really? I never knew that! I've always left the plastic on!’ another added.

But are you really supposed to remove them?

Not everyone agrees that the small plastic pieces should be removed. Many Facebook users argue that these clear backings serve a purpose and should be left alone.

‘Don't remove the plastic, it gives the ear more stability with the earring. Take it from an earring maker,’ one commenter said.

‘No, you are not. These are called safety backs, and they can prevent regular backs from being pushed into the hole. For kids, the back can be pushed into the hole and can even start to grow around the back. This keeps that from happening,’ another wrote.

‘I don't take them off. I have metal allergies and it keeps the back from touching my ear,’ another woman said.

Backings aren't included with all earrings and are actually offered separately online, implying that they have a purpose. Ultimately, whether you want to wear backings on your earrings is a matter of personal preference.

What about you? Do you remove the plastic backings that come with your earrings? Why? Why not? Tell us all about it in the comments below!
Don't wear earrings myself but l see a lot of merit for leaving the backing on for reasons mentioned but could possibly be good for hygenic reasons. If needed from time to time a cotton bud with antiseptic could be used to clean this space, a flat surface, to remove sweaty dirt without removing the earrings..