Weekend Today’s Rebecca Maddern and Lauren Phillips exit show

Rebecca Maddern and Lauren Phillips reveal their reasons for leaving after an abrupt departure from Channel Nine over the weekend.

gTyDiEeuf1JOAX6fft1nMgMbxshcsEhIfl-DQb_3wkunwcR6dKR6wh-E3VnnIwkMsF412RGYoQ-3O-FO8R7NKSw6VvJVBhdA3oOzyk_-Dw3yHcrKKdZDIV36koKk9WmvPuYNN2IT

Photos from Channel Nine.
Co-host of Weekend Today and Australian Ninja Warrior's Rebecca Maddern has been with the channel for five and a half years, after first joining in 2016 to co-host The Footy Show.

“I’ve had so many career highlights at Nine, and hosting the juggernaut, Australian Ninja Warrior, has been a thrill for the past five years,’’ said the Aussie tv presenter.

“I’m sad to leave my Today Show and tennis colleagues as well, but I’m excited about what’s next.”

“I’m also extremely proud of playing a role in helping to change the broadcast landscape for women in sports after hosting the AFL footy show.”

After extended contract negotiations, it is believed that Maddern and the network could not come to a mutual agreement on terms for a new deal.

A spokesperson from the network announced: “Bec has been a great contributor to Nine since she joined us and we wish her well for the future”.

After fellow anchor Ben Fordham left the hosting role mid-year, Maddern’s departure means the role for host of Australian Ninja Warrior is up for grabs.

It was also reported that Weekend Today’s weather presenter, Lauren Phillips, would be leaving the breakfast show to focus on her KIIS FM radio show.

“And just like that, that’s a wrap as my time on Weekend Today. Honestly, this job has been a dream, and it was almost impossible to walk away from. I tried with every part of me to work seven mornings a week, but it’s time I get some balance. I’m genuinely so sad to be leaving,” the 34-year-old TV host wrote on her Instagram.

“I’ve milked camels, been stood on by a cow, hiked mountains, almost frozen in lake Wanaka, driven a monster truck and been attacked by more birds than I can count, and I’ve loved every moment of it. Thank you for letting me share your weekends with you. It’s been an absolute privilege.”

The new hosting line-up for Weekend Today in 2022 will feature Charles Croucher, Belinda Russell, Jayne Azzopardi and Richard Wilkins.

Sponsored