Watch: Woolworths goes into 'liquid mode' due to Australia’s summer heat

In the midst of a sweltering summer, a Woolworths customer's video has gone viral, showcasing the extreme heat's impact on everyday life.

The video shows blocks of chocolate from brands like KitKat, Cadbury, and Darrel Lea melting on the shelves of a Woolworths store in Bondi.

Posted by a social media user and humorously captioned, 'When it’s roasting in Australia, Woolies chocolate goes full liquid mode,' the video has sparked a lively debate about the best way to store chocolate in Australia's intense heat.

It has also become a symbol of the extreme weather conditions Australians are currently experiencing.

Screenshot 2024-02-01 094201.png
A Woolworths store in Bondi Beach goes into ‘liquid mode’ because of the extreme heat conditions. Image: TikTok/@stefx.deu

The comments section was flooded with reactions from viewers, many of whom joked about the uniquely Australian problem.

Some said that ‘everything goes limp in summer in Australia’.

‘Even the aircon can’t keep up with the heat in Australia right now,’ one person wrote.

‘And people will still try and say chocolate doesn’t belong in the fridge,’ another joked.

One user replied:

‘I’d still buy them [to] dip strawberries in.’

In response, a Woolworths spokesperson confirmed that the air conditioning in the Bondi Beach Metro store is currently not working.

'We apologise...and we thank customers for their understanding,' the spokesperson said.

'We are currently working to get the air conditioning in the Bondi Beach Metro fixed. Our team members have been removing any melted chocolate from sale.'

The video has also reignited the age-old debate about where chocolate should be stored–in the fridge, pantry, or freezer.

Cadbury, a popular confectionery manufacturer, attempted to settle this debate back in 2020.

According to Cadbury, chocolate should ideally be stored in a 'slightly cool, dry, dark place' at a temperature of 21 degrees or under, which, for most households, means the optimal location is in the cupboard.

Aussie craft chocolatiers Cocoa Box further explained in a blog post that chocolate 'doesn’t like extreme temperatures (too hot or too cold)'.

‘Whereas hot temperatures turn your chocolate into a sloppy liquid, cold temperatures can be just as damaging, robbing your craft chocolate of all the beautiful aromas and flavours chocolate makers worked so hard to bring out,’ they said.

‘If you have to store it in the fridge…make sure to pack your chocolate in an airtight plastic or Tupperware container to protect it from moisture and other odours.’

Despite the inconvenience, many viewers saw the funny side of the situation, saying that the state of the chocolate perfectly reflected the scorching summer conditions many Australians are currently battling through.

'This is me,' one hot-and-bothered Aussie responded, while another simply smirked, 'Only in Australia.'

You can watch the full video below:

Source: TikTok/@stefx.deu​

Key Takeaways
  • A viral video showed chocolate melting on the shelves in a Woolworths store in Bondi during a heatwave.
  • Woolworths acknowledged the air conditioning failure at the Bondi Beach Metro store and apologised, stating that staff were removing melted chocolate from the shelves.
  • The debate on where chocolate should be stored was reignited, with Cadbury advising a cool, dry place under 21°C and others suggesting the fridge with proper storage measures.
  • Despite the aircon issue, many social media users saw the humour in the situation, relating the melted chocolate to Australia's extreme summer temperatures.

Have you experienced similar situations during a heatwave? Where do you store your chocolate in the summer? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
A good, cool place that I personally find that works for me is in my wardrobe hidden in amongst my winter wooly jumpers. No walls that are facing or following the sun. I also found this was great for hiding chocolate 🍫 when my kid's were younger. I hid all my chocolate, even cooking chocolate in my knickers draw as no child wants to rifle through Mum's underwear 😀😃🙂🙃😊

If this happened to the chocolate, I wonder what was happening to the dairy and meat sections that are not closed in. Bet no one took the temps of fridges.

A good, cool place that I personally find that works for me is in my wardrobe hidden in amongst my winter wooly jumpers. No walls that are facing or following the sun. I also found this was great for hiding chocolate 🍫 when my kid's were younger. I hid all my chocolate, even cooking chocolate in my knickers draw as no child wants to rifle through Mum's underwear 😀😃🙂🙃😊
🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: magpie1