Francess

Jul 28, 2022
Warning: Don’t let scammers lock you out of your PC!

If you own a computer, be careful not to inadvertently let fraudsters gain access to your device. Scammers can ask you to install programs that hold your computer and its data hostage unless you cough up a fee.

One Aussie took it to the social news website Reddit to warn others after a relative fell victim to the scheme.

They said: ‘Yesterday, my father-in-law was targeted by scammers. Unfortunately, he initially fell for it and gave the scammers access to his computer. Fortunately, he was stopped before he lost any money, but this morning he found his computer was locked.’

In the comments, the Redditor explained that their father-in-law’s bank came to the rescue when their computers flagged the activity on his account as odd. The bank blocked all transactions after confirming that he was not behind the requests. But then, the ordeal was not done – a password suddenly prevented him from accessing his device.

password-prompt.png
Lock My PC asks users to enter a password to unlock their computer. Credit: Bleeping Computer

After the father-in-law contacted the user’s partner, they went and cleaned up the computer, removing any remote access trojans, which refers to any malware that allows scammers to control devices from far away, as well as any potentially unwanted programs. However, they missed the program responsible for locking out the father-in-law from their computer.

The software in question, called ‘Lock My PC’, is legitimate and legal for use. Thankfully, FSPro Labs – the developers behind the program – caught wind of the modus operandi after receiving multiple reports of misuse. They promptly issued a solution that became helpful in the Redditor’s case.

The Aussie shared it on Reddit for good measure: ‘For anyone else caught in a similar situation, there is a straightforward solution if the program the scammers used is Lock my PC. At the password prompt, type “999901111”. It will display a numerical code. Go to the Lock my PC recovery page and type in the numerical code to receive a recovery password. Type the password in, unlock the computer and uninstall Lock my PC.’

Redditors collectively sighed in relief after knowing that the father-in-law’s money was safe. One said: ‘This is a low-tech version of ransomware. Good job finding the solution.’

The scheme was not as sophisticated as other known attempts, partly due to the termination of the utility tool Syskey in Windows 10. Fraudsters exploited the feature to encrypt sensitive data and ask for money from victims in exchange for regaining access to their devices.

However, scammers found a workaround in Lock My PC, a program created in good faith. It previously allowed users to prevent unauthorised access to their computers.

To prevent more instances of fraud, the developers made the program’s download link unavailable to the public. Existing customers can still use the software, but future users must sign up with their corporate email.

The original poster said about their father-in-law: ‘On the plus side, he's a bit wiser now. I think the next time he gets a phone call from “Brian from Microsoft”, he'll have the guy on the phone for a couple of hours while he f**ks him around.’

Others were all for scammers having a taste of their own medicine. A Redditor said: ‘I had them call me the other day and I felt like annoying them. I just asked them what the scam was, Windows support? Amazon parcel? Tax bill? Do you want me to let you into my computer or buy you iTunes or Google Play cards? Well? They hung up at that point.’

Another user shared: ‘Have you watched any scam baiters on YouTube like Kitboga? They often go along with the scam slowly in a funny way that wastes hours of the scammers’ time only to get it to the point where they turn off their voice modulation and call them out angrily as scammers. They can also act so ridiculous that the scammer catches on, yells at them and hangs up.’

A third chimed in: ‘It's good to watch Jim Browning on YouTube to avoid being scammed in the first place. It's become fun when they call me and I ask them to ask their supervisor if they know who Jim Browning is. We all have a good laugh and they hang up.’

Kitboga and Jim Browning are content creators and internet vigilantes who engage with scammers to waste their time and then expose them to the public, hence the term ‘scam baiting’. They may even use trojan horses and remote administrative tools to shame online crooks and teach them a lesson.

Occasionally, scam baiters also produce educational content that helps people detect fraud attempts. See this video by Jim Browning explaining why you should never let anyone access your computer remotely:

While scam baiters serve a purpose in that they can be entertaining, educational, or both, others are not so keen on internet vigilantism.

Replying to the original poster who said his father-in-law knows better now, one said: ‘He's not wiser. Their entire life is stealing from vulnerable people, they're filth, and if you piss them off, nothing stops them from harassing you until you change your number.’

It can be tempting to play along and exact revenge when a scammer contacts you. However, they can retaliate by harassing you for weeks or even months! Remember, these swindlers still engage in criminal activity and hold sensitive information about you. Even scam baiters like Kitboga and Jim Browning assume aliases to protect themselves.

If you ever find yourself being asked through the phone to enable remote access, just hang up. Scamwatch warns that scammers can pretend to be employed by well-known companies and promise to fix your computer and offer free upgrades. If it is already too late, the next best thing is to contact your bank. The Australian Cyber Security Centre also urges victims to report to the authorities. The agency has more resources here if you need help.

Need a laugh after this serious discussion? Watch Kitboga prank a scammer accessing his computer while using Windows 95. Are they smart enough to notice that Kitboga is using an outdated operating system? Let’s find out!

This scam was perpetrated on us in 2018. My husband had already gone past the point of no return when he told me about it. The scammers had given him a phone number which he called and of course nobody answered. The scammers advised him that he would be able to access the computer after he paid $2,000!

I couldn’t sleep that night and at 11.30pm, I woke hubby up and insisted he ring the bank. I don’t have an account with that bank, so he had to do it. Sure enough, there was a transfer pending at midnight for a withdrawal of $2,000. Combank couldn’t stop the transfer but they refunded the money. Our computer guy sorted out the problem and retrieved all the files, so we were very lucky

A few days later, the scam locked down all the federal government computers.

Yair, they got us for over $30,000. The scammer rang out of the blue and said he was from Optus (our phone provider). "To prove my credentials," he said, "and to set your minds at ease that this isn't a scam", he then quoted his Optus employee number and his work address (both false, as we later found out), gave us both our full names and address and also our Optus account number and said that our internet account was likely to be compromised, as well.
How they managed to get those details, we have no idea.
Then he said that Optus recommends downloading a program called Anydesk, which we stupidly did. But it all sounded so cool, calm and professional. This gave him control of our computer and also locked our mobile phones.
The bank, which proudly professes to watch customers' accounts for fraudulent activities, let him have seven withdrawals of up to $5,000 over the next three days. They then offered us $9,000 as recompense when we complained, seeing we "were such loyal and devoted customers", they said, with the unstated but implied threat that that was all we were likely to get. So, a bird in the hand, we accepted it.

Last edited:
I used to have those calls constantly, but my son is an IT professional so I used to say to them that my computer was fine and if something was wrong he would fix it. Then I would hang up 🤭🤭
Another thing is with calls that are unknown to me, even if they have a number showing, but the area code is from another state, I let it ring and when it stops I block the number. So, I’ve been nearly free of annoying scammers 👍🏼
Keep safe everyone

I used to have those calls constantly, but my son is an IT professional so I used to say to them that my computer was fine and if something was wrong he would fix it. Then I would hang up 🤭🤭
Another thing is with calls that are unknown to me, even if they have a number showing, but the area code is from another state, I let it ring and when it stops I block the number. So, I’ve been nearly free of annoying scammers 👍🏼
Keep safe everyone
Yes . I agree. I do the same thing. If a caller doesn't leave a msg, I block the nr. My reasoning is, that if you take the time to call me don't hang up without a msg. Prob 98 x out of 100 they are scammers.
With all the publicity, why are people still falling for these scams, esp ones offering $$$s.
Aussies please wake up. Don't be an ostrich . Have a safe 2023 scam free year.

Yair, they got us for over $30,000. The scammer rang out of the blue and said he was from Optus (our phone provider). "To prove my credentials," he said, "and to set your minds at ease that this isn't a scam", he then quoted his Optus employee number and his work address (both false, as we later found out), gave us both our full names and address and also our Optus account number and said that our internet account was likely to be compromised, as well.
How they managed to get those details, we have no idea.
Then he said that Optus recommends downloading a program called Anydesk, which we stupidly did. But it all sounded so cool, calm and professional. This gave him control of our computer and also locked our mobile phones.
The bank, which proudly professes to watch customers' accounts for fraudulent activities, let him have seven withdrawals of up to $5,000 over the next three days. They then offered us $9,000 as recompense when we complained, seeing we "were such loyal and devoted customers", they said, with the unstated but implied threat that that was all we were likely to get. So, a bird in the hand, we accepted it.
Yes they almost got me with that one except they made out they were from Telstra my provider! They got me as far as Anydesk and I refused to download did they get mad 😂yelled and shouted I’d be sorry! 🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Defiant540
Yes . I agree. I do the same thing. If a caller doesn't leave a msg, I block the nr. My reasoning is, that if you take the time to call me don't hang up without a msg. Prob 98 x out of 100 they are scammers.
With all the publicity, why are people still falling for these scams, esp ones offering $$$s.
Aussies please wake up. Don't be an ostrich . Have a safe 2023 scam free year.
Of course the number does not belong to the caller. It may belong to a real person but not definitely the case. Blocking may be a problem for you if someone really has the number and for some reason needs to ring you. There really is no point blocking an Australian number, The scammers won't use it again to contact you.

Of course the number does not belong to the caller. It may belong to a real person but not definitely the case. Blocking may be a problem for you if someone really has the number and for some reason needs to ring you. There really is no point blocking an Australian number, The scammers won't use it again to contact you.
They do keep ringing until you answer after a few days and try a scam. It's then you tell them to p"^@* off and block the no.

Keep safe everyone
I do the same thing and block there number, and I do have so many blocked numbers its incredible. My phone is gradually getting quieter. I can only hope they have given up, but they seem to comeback with new numbers alot.

Reactions: Groovy
They do keep ringing until you answer after a few days and try a scam. It's then you tell them to p"^@* off and block the no.
BUT did they use the same number again? Probably not - they generally use a bank of numbers, My mobile phone provider warns me with a giant symbol on an orange background. Did you block their first number? If no, then OK, but if you did then they use another number very similar the first one. There are huge numbers of unused number in Oz, my provider warns me.