Want to save big on flights? Here’s the exact day you should book for cheaper deals!

As the days slowly heat up, many are preparing to jet off for their well-deserved summer holidays. So, if you’re one of those people, listen up!

Before you book your next trip, make sure that you’re getting the best travel deal available—and here’s how.

According to research by travel site Expedia, you could save big on your upcoming flights by booking on specific days or departing at specific times.

For instance, travellers looking at domestic flights can snag an average saving of 20 per cent by booking on Sundays instead of Fridays.

photo (9).jpg
Knowing when to book a flight can help travellers snag the best travel deal available. Image source: rawpixel.com on Freepik.

However, bookings for domestic flights should also be made at least 14 weeks prior to departure.

On the other hand, international flights booked on Sundays may save travellers 18 per cent on average.

Though airfares for international flights tend to be stable over a six-month period prior to the departure date, booking at least a month out may provide the most optimal availability, selection, and savings for travellers.

Furthermore, leaving on a Friday also reigns supreme for international flights, saving Aussies up to 23 per cent on average.

Meanwhile, leaving on a Sunday is found to be, on average, the most expensive day to start a trip.

Travellers should also aim to depart after 3:00 p.m. to reduce the chances of a cancellation.

This comes after it was announced that Google’s new feature, called Google Flights, was made for thrifty travellers looking for the lowest fares.

It is based on ‘reliable trend data’, providing useful insights on whether prices are overblown or at a discount.

To add, Google also offers helpful email notifications for specific tickets—provided that the traveller is signed up with Google.

This way, if prices fall, travellers will be in the know and ready to go. And if they’re lucky, they may even stumble upon a ‘price guarantee’ badge on their deal.

You can find out more about Google Flights and their Price Guarantee Program here.
Key Takeaways
  • Australians looking for flight deals for their summer holidays can benefit from booking on certain days and times, according to research by travel site Expedia.
  • Travellers can potentially save around 20 per cent on domestic flights and 18 per cent on international flights if they book their flights on a Sunday instead of a Friday.
  • Booking domestic flights at least 14 weeks before travel and international flights at least a month before travel can also lead to substantial savings compared to last-minute bookings.
  • To save money, it's optimal to depart on a Friday and avoid starting trips on Sundays, as these tend to be the most expensive days to travel.
If you or anyone you know is planning a holiday this coming summer, share this article with them to help them save on their flights!

Members, do you have other tips on how to save on flights? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
How is this for rubbery prices on flights. Tried to book a flight to Vietnam using Google Chrome. Got right to the end when it just wouldn't take my Mastercard for payment. It turned out that in order for it to work (even though I had been using my computer all day) I needed to clear my cache or use another browser. So, cancelling everything I decided to book exactly the same flights using Safari. AGAST !!!!! the very same flights were over $400 dearer. How is that possible???

Eventually booked using Google Chrome (at the same prices). Now I figured that my partner and I would only require ONE 20kg checked baggage. On each of the 4 legs to Vietnam and return checked baggage is charged. All up I was charged $256. Something was not right. On checking, I discovered that Jetstar in their wisdom added a checked baggage to my flight - presumably thinking that I had forgotten to include it. It took nearly 2 hours on the computer to sort it out. I started to question the value of waiting to sort this out but that is what a dogged LEO does.