Want to reduce food waste and save money? Check out these five grocery shopping tips!

With the cost of living higher than ever, saving money is a top priority for Aussie households. But it’s not just supermarket prices that you need to worry about—it’s food waste.

It's heartbreaking to think of all of that food going to waste, so when it comes to saving precious food items, it’s crucial to remember that your supermarket habits matter.

Food waste is an issue across Australia, with the average household throwing away $3,800 worth of food per year, or almost $73 each week.

To ensure you’re getting the most bang for your buck and reducing as much food waste as possible, use these five simple tips when shopping for groceries to reduce the amount of food that you throw away each week and save money!

maria-lin-kim-8RaUEd8zD-U-unsplash.jpg
Food waste is one of the problems Australia faces. Credit: Unsplash.

1. Grab products at the back of the shelf

When it comes to that cool section of the store where they keep refrigerated items, reach for the back of the shelves.

The expiration dates of products on the back are longer than those on the front. The temperature at the back is much cooler as well, which means they’ll last longer.

Use this tip for all products in the cool section, particularly milk, soft cheeses, and yoghurt.

2. Avoid fruits and vegetables on top of the display

We’ve all had that experience where we pick up fruits and vegetables for a thorough inspection. But what we often don’t consider is how many hands have handled that piece of fruit or vegetable before we place it in our carts.

To make sure you’re picking up fresh produce, avoid items located at the front and top of the display, as these are likely to have had more contact with human hands. The more frequently the produce is handled, the quicker it’ll start to break down.

3. Portion out and freeze your meat

Sometimes, when we buy meat from a deli counter, a butcher, or the pre-packaged section at our local supermarket, we forget about our purchase and put the meat in a freezer in one lot, defrosted it, only to find that we don’t need to use them all, and end up throwing the rest away.

As such, it is important to portion the meat immediately when you get home after buying it.

Once you portion the meat, you can put what you need in the fridge while freezing the rest of the meat. That will keep them fresher for longer.

4. Pre-prepare your fruit and vegetables

The previous tip works just as well with fruit and vegetables.

When you get home, grab some of your older fruits and vegetables and use them in recipes for the same day, or even freeze them for that next baking venture you’ve got coming up.

Older vegetables can be chopped up and frozen for rice dishes and soups.

Newer vegetables and fruit can also be cut, peeled, and washed so that they will be ready for easy use when you need them.

You may also need to know the difference between ‘best before’ and ‘use-by’ dates for fruits and vegetables. According to Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation's (CSIRO) Consumer Food Safety Spokesperson, Dr Rozita Vaskoska, 'The use-by dates are very firm. The product shouldn't be used (past that date).'

When it comes to ‘best before’ dates, Vaskoska said that ‘they reflect the quality will drop after that date, it doesn’t mean it will be unsafe to use’.

5. Meal planning is the way to go

Meal planning is ideal for those who want to use all the food in their fridge and reduce waste.

To start, take an inventory of what you have in your fridge and counter, and plan meals based on your available products.

This may take you a few minutes, but it does make a significant difference in reducing food waste.

Key Takeaways

• Food waste costs Australian consumers approximately $3,800 a year, equating to $73 a week that is discarded from expired products, uneaten fruit and vegetables, and dinner leftovers.
  • Steps to reduce food waste begin at the supermarket with a careful selection of products and can be maintained at home through proper storage and preparation.
  • Some tips include choosing products from the back of displays to ensure fresher items with longer expiry dates, being mindful when selecting fruit and vegetables to avoid produce that has been excessively handled, portioning out and freezing meat to prevent wastage, pre-preparing fruit and vegetables each week, and developing a meal plan.

Members, please note that the tips mentioned above are general advice and should not be considered expert financial advice. This article is for informational purposes only and may not be suitable for individual circumstances.

What do you think of these tips? Do you have other ways to save more when grocery shopping? Share them with us in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sponsored
With the cost of living higher than ever, saving money is a top priority for Aussie households. But it’s not just supermarket prices that you need to worry about—it’s food waste.

It's heartbreaking to think of all of that food going to waste, so when it comes to saving precious food items, it’s crucial to remember that your supermarket habits matter.

Food waste is an issue across Australia, with the average household throwing away $3,800 worth of food per year, or almost $73 each week.

To ensure you’re getting the most bang for your buck and reducing as much food waste as possible, use these five simple tips when shopping for groceries to reduce the amount of food that you throw away each week and save money!

View attachment 34891

When it comes to that cool section of the store where they keep refrigerated items, reach for the back of the shelves.

The expiration dates of products on the back are longer than those on the front. The temperature at the back is much cooler as well, which means they’ll last longer.

Use this tip for all products in the cool section, particularly milk, soft cheeses, and yoghurt.

We’ve all had that experience where we pick up fruits and vegetables for a thorough inspection. But what we often don’t consider is how many hands have handled that piece of fruit or vegetable before we place it in our carts.

To make sure you’re picking up fresh produce, avoid items located at the front and top of the display, as these are likely to have had more contact with human hands. The more frequently the produce is handled, the quicker it’ll start to break down.

Sometimes when we buy meat from a deli counter, a butcher, or the pre-packaged section at our local supermarket, we forget about our purchase and put the meat in a freezer in one lot, defrosted it, only to find that we don’t need to use them all, and end up throwing the rest away.

As such, it is important to portion the meat immediately when you get home after buying it.

Once you portion the meat, you can put what you need in the fridge while freezing the rest of the meat. That will keep them fresher for longer.

When you get home, grab some of your older fruits and vegetables and use them in recipes for the same day, or even freeze them for that next baking venture you’ve got coming up.

Newer vegetables and fruit can also be cut, peeled, and washed so that they will be ready for easy use when you need them.

You may also need to know the difference between ‘best before’ and ‘use-by’ dates for fruits and vegetables. According to Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation's (CSIRO) Consumer Food Safety Spokesperson, Dr Rozita Vaskoska, 'The use-by dates are very firm. The product shouldn't be used (past that date).'

When it comes to ‘best before’ dates, Vaskoska said that ‘they reflect the quality will drop after that date, it doesn’t mean it will be unsafe to use’.

Meal planning is ideal for those who want to use all the food in their fridge and reduce waste.

To start, take an inventory of what you have in your fridge and counter, and plan meals based on your available products.

This may take you a few minutes, but it does make a significant difference in reducing food waste.

Key Takeaways

• Food waste costs Australian consumers approximately $3,800 a year, equating to $73 a week that is discarded from expired products, uneaten fruit and vegetables, and dinner leftovers.
  • Steps to reduce food waste begin at the supermarket with a careful selection of products and can be maintained at home through proper storage and preparation.
  • Some tips include choosing products from the back of displays to ensure fresher items with longer expiry dates, being mindful when selecting fruit and vegetables to avoid produce that has been excessively handled, portioning out and freezing meat to prevent wastage, pre-preparing fruit and vegetables each week, and developing a meal plan.

Members, please note that the tips mentioned above are general advice and should not be considered expert financial advice. This article is for informational purposes only and may not be suitable for individual circumstances.

What do you think of these tips? Do you have other ways to save more when grocery shopping? Share them with us in the comments below!
I must admit I am guilty of taking from the front, but I always check the fruit and vegetables before I put them in my trolley. I will do what you suggest in the future. Thank you for the reminder.

If you are buying from a fruit market , guarantee if you take from the back or underneath the fruito will be right there 😉

I take from the top but if course look for unbruised items.

I now buy fruit twice a week so it's fresh and keep what I can in the fridge

I definitely don't have anywhere near $73 in food waste

View attachment 34891

Sometimes when we buy meat from a deli counter, a butcher, or the pre-packaged section at our local supermarket, we forget about our purchase and put the meat in a freezer in one lot, defrosted it, only to find that we don’t need to use them all, and end up throwing the rest away.

Key Takeaways

Some good tips there as for the meat one i do it all the time and date the item's, and I pick from the back looking for the freshest item's and don't buy to much in one hit 👍

I buy from the front and use it straight away, to save the wastage for throwing out perfectly good food. Same with milk. I buy the front bottles as I also use it by whatever use by date is on the bottle.

Reactions: Gsr and TheBear
If everyone takes from the back, or the bottom, there will still be food wastage. It will just be the supermarkets chucking stuff out instead of households. i rarely throw food out, if it is close to use by or looking a bit forlorn I cook or freeze it.

Reactions: DLHM
Any food waste in my household is due to poor quality of home delivered fruit and vegitables, I'm convinced the pickers have been instructed to pack damage or over ripe fruit, bananas in particular arrive so over ripe they are bursting and usully, either huge in size or minute, exactly the condition of items still on display wehen all the good fruit has been taken, also many items with useby dates are within a day or two of being -past the date.

• Wow
Reactions: DLHM
Buy what you need and if necessary do a second shop for fruit and veg that will save on waste .
I only buy my fruit and veg from a fruit and veg shop, dont trust the supermarkets like Coles and Woolies, Aldi are allright but when their is a fruit and veg shop right next door I go to them

Reactions: magpie1
Any food waste in my household is due to poor quality of home delivered fruit and vegitables, I'm convinced the pickers have been instructed to pack damage or over ripe fruit, bananas in particular arrive so over ripe they are bursting and usully, either huge in size or minute, exactly the condition of items still on display wehen all the good fruit has been taken, also many items with useby dates are within a day or two of being -past the date.
This is what I found when I did on line home delivery. I no longer do it, just go to the shops myself again.

I've always checked use by dates or best before because years ago picked up ham slices and when got home realised use by date was day before. I couldn't go back to supermarket too far ,so rang them explained everything and returned it the following week with docket got a appology and 2 pkts ham. Now I check all use by dates

oldest or soonest use by items always to the front or on top, no matter what you buy.....items on shelves in aisles packed the same way.....older stock at front and newest stock at back.

I don't buy a lot in bulk as there are only two of us. However, when a larger pack is cheaper by bulk weight I will buy some meats and portion and freeze in smaller quantities.
There is only two of us my mum and myself. I find it hard when buying veggies as we do not eat a lot. I find frozen veg, except peas are soggy when cooked, even when they are steamed.

View attachment 34891

Key Takeaways

1. Grab products at the back of the shelf - if everyone did this you are adding to the problem of food wastage around the world, which will add to the cost of overall buying (it is not a solution) to help with your buying habits.

2. Avoid fruits and vegetables on top of the display - once again, if everyone did this you are adding to the problem of food wastage around the world, which will add to the cost of buying (it is not a solution) to help with your buying habits.

Best buying habits is to only buy (fresh or use by) products that you know you will use/eat within the next 3 days (max). If you are doing online shopping, then join (and pay a small yearly fee) to get unlimited home deliveries. But in doing that the stores should lower the cost of a "Total Spend" per delivery to about $30 per delivery.

How I do my shopping is two-fold - Online/Home Delivery' for items that I only need to shop for weekly (or longer). Or In-Shop buy - items I know I will use within 3 days of buying.

By doing this I have more than halved my food wastage and have also lowered my overall grocery bill. And better yet is that my long-term spending habits have also change in that I not buying stuff I think I might need or want. I have gone from about $500 a week to about $300 week and I have very little to no fresh food wastage or overstuffed cupboards/fridge of things I don't use before their use-by-date.

One last bit - my son got me used to doing "Weekly Meal Planning" - best thing I have ever learnt. Thursday night start to plan what I what to cook for the next week and check what other items that are running low or out (hint keep notepad & pen or mini whiteboard on fridge door (or near by) for those items)), then I do my online order on Friday night for home delivery on Saturday or Sunday mornings. If I'm doing Pre-Cooked meals (fridge or freezer), I cook on Sunday. This has also helped me free up my time through the week in the kitchen and, lower the amount of "Take-away" I was buying because I could not think what I wanted to cook that night or was too tired (and took the easy way out).