Want to get rid of unwanted reusable bags? This Coles customer found a brilliant solution!

Coles's transition to reusable shopping bags might have cut down significantly on the amount of plastic being used for grocery shopping, which is great news for the environment, but now the challenge is dealing with the extra bags.

If you have been collecting an unwanted pile of paper bags at home and don't know what to do with them, don't throw them away yet!

More and more Aussies are showing off their creative skills by finding diverse uses for their extra Coles bags–uses you may not have even considered!

Take this one savvy Coles shopper, for example. They took the extra paper bags and used them as an underlay in a raised planter, which created a barrier between the soil and the ground to prevent weeds and pests from wreaking havoc on their garden.

photo (15).jpg
One savvy Coles shopper has used their extra paper bags as an underlay for their planter. Image source: Reddit.

This little creativity saved them from having to pay for underlay material! The shopper thought it was a ‘good use of excess Coles delivery bags’, and he's not the only one.

‘That’s a great idea! Better than the bags being chucked after one use or sitting in the cupboard forever,’ one said of the incredible idea.

‘I’m going to be putting together my planter boxes soon and was considering options for weed mats, but think I’ll do this instead.’

Gardeners weren't the only ones finding clever uses for them. An organising and decluttering expert has also revealed that they use extra Coles shopping bags at their clients' homes for similar purposes.

‘I recommend a fireplace. Works a treat,’ one suggested.

‘I used them to pad out moving boxes so they weren't overloaded, but things still stayed in place,’ another suggested.

While a third said, they now use the supermarket paper bags for whatever needed newspapers—perhaps to wrap items or packages in, or maybe even as a rag to wipe spilled liquids with!

And a fourth shared: ‘My next-door neighbour has a cat. They put the wood-based used cat litter in it, and it can go in the recycling kerbside.’

So don't just throw away your excess paper bags, dear members! You might eventually find a useful purpose for them you never thought of before!

Key Takeaways
  • Since Coles switched to selling reusable paper bags, customers have found creative uses.
  • Green thumbs have been using excess bags as underlays for raised planters, creating a barrier between the garden’s soil and the ground and preventing weeds and pests.
  • An organising and decluttering expert also suggested using Coles bags as a type of weed mat and then mulching over the top.
  • Other uses suggested by customers include padding out moving boxes, lining a fireplace, and being used as a replacement for newspaper.
Let us know in the comments below if you've found other smart uses for your reusable paper bags!

Sponsored
I refuse to pay for any bags from the supermarket. I made my own from tea towels. Pretty bags. Reusable. Washable. Cheap.
Now, regards using paper bags for base of raised garden beds. I lined my beds with cardboard boxes when I set them up last year. These give a good, dense layer to prevent weed growth. Actually, it's not weeds that needed to be prevented in raised garden beds but need to prevent the lawn from growing up through the garden & I have been very successful with the cardboard boxes.

I refuse to pay for any bags from the supermarket. I made my own from tea towels. Pretty bags. Reusable. Washable. Cheap.
Now, regards using paper bags for base of raised garden beds. I lined my beds with cardboard boxes when I set them up last year. These give a good, dense layer to prevent weed growth. Actually, it's not weeds that needed to be prevented in raised garden beds but need to prevent the lawn from growing up through the garden & I have been very successful with the cardboard boxes.
I did the same when I installed raised beds quite a few years ago. As well as old newspaper back in the day when I still bought newspapers.

Been doing that for years🙀

Coles's transition to reusable shopping bags might have cut down significantly on the amount of plastic being used for grocery shopping, which is great news for the environment, but now the challenge is dealing with the extra bags.

If you have been collecting an unwanted pile of paper bags at home and don't know what to do with them, don't throw them away yet!

More and more Aussies are showing off their creative skills by finding diverse uses for their extra Coles bags–uses you may not have even considered!

Take this one savvy Coles shopper, for example. They took the extra paper bags and used them as an underlay in a raised planter, which created a barrier between the soil and the ground to prevent weeds and pests from wreaking havoc on their garden.

View attachment 28578
One savvy Coles shopper has used their extra paper bags as an underlay for their planter. Image source: Reddit.

This little creativity saved them from having to pay for underlay material! The shopper thought it was a ‘good use of excess Coles delivery bags’, and he's not the only one.

‘That’s a great idea! Better than the bags being chucked after one use or sitting in the cupboard forever,’ one said of the incredible idea.

‘I’m going to be putting together my planter boxes soon and was considering options for weed mats, but think I’ll do this instead.’

Gardeners weren't the only ones finding clever uses for them. An organising and decluttering expert has also revealed that they use extra Coles shopping bags at their clients' homes for similar purposes.

‘I used them to pad out moving boxes so they weren't overloaded, but things still stayed in place,’ another suggested.

While a third said, they now use the supermarket paper bags for whatever needed newspapers—perhaps to wrap items or packages in, or maybe even as a rag to wipe spilled liquids with!

And a fourth shared: ‘My next-door neighbour has a cat. They put the wood-based used cat litter in it, and it can go in the recycling kerbside.’

So don't just throw away your excess paper bags, dear members! You might eventually find a useful purpose for them you never thought of before!

Key Takeaways

• Since Coles switched to selling reusable paper bags, customers have found creative uses.
  • Green thumbs have been using excess bags as underlays for raised planters, creating a barrier between the garden’s soil and the ground and preventing weeds and pests.
  • An organising and decluttering expert also suggested using Coles bags as a type of weed mat and then mulching over the top.
  • Other uses suggested by customers include padding out moving boxes, lining a fireplace, and being used as a replacement for newspaper.
Let us know in the comments below if you've found other smart uses for your reusable paper bags!
Donate to op shops

Must share this tip with my husband as he’s the gardener in our household. I order online so always have a few in the cupboard. My son suggested that we use them for the food scraps that go in our FOGO bin. its not often that they end up going straight into recycling.

Must share this tip with my husband as he’s the gardener in our household. I order online so always have a few in the cupboard. My son suggested that we use them for the food scraps that go in our FOGO bin. its not often that they end up going straight into recycling.
What’s a fogo bin?

Reactions: Suzanne rose
FOGO bins are the green waste bins that are provided by local council (after you’ve paid a fee, unless you reside in WA) to collect green waste, food scraps etc. In Launceston we have a fortnightly collection while my son was provided with his bin & has a weekly collection. We do have our own compost bins but use FOGO bins as well. Our actual rubbish output is minimal so our young neighbours who have small children regularly use it as well. Disposable nappies seem to take up a lot of space.

I use mine for kitty litter too. Need to make other arrangements now,as I’m out of plastic bags and I’m using reusable bags now. Bag to wrapping it in newspaper! *gag*

Reactions: Littleboy8

View attachment 28578

Key Takeaways

I donarte mine to an op shop. They are always crying out for bags. Used to donate the plastic ones too.

I never buy the so called re-useable bags from the shops , I try not to waste my precious money. I have a few garden beds and use cardboard boxes, also for my compost heap I used cardboard as a first layer. I also use newspapers , we get a weekly local paper delivered .

I never seem to have any spare bags as I use them over and over again til they fall apart. I also use them for extra fruit and vegetables we give to family and friends.

I have yet to find a brown paper bag to last the distance , they split and handles break on first usage. They are only fit for the uses stated above.