Want to clean oven racks faster? The secret is in your laundry room!

Baking, roasting, frying, broiling—whatever your style in the kitchen, constant use of the oven will surely leave a residue. Oven racks are prone to grease and grime, which all add up to a never-ending scrubbing.

But did you know you can clean your oven faster with dryer sheets?

It’s true—by combining dryer sheets with some good old-fashioned soapy water, you can take the arduous chore of scrubbing racks to a less painful process.

Dryer sheets are usually used with laundry washing and contain softeners to soften clothes. However, the chemicals and softeners in these sheets can also work to soften and break down tougher surfaces like oven racks.

Along with these sheets, dish soap also comes in handy, as they have grease-fighting properties.

The dish soap helps break down oily and greasy residue, and partnered with the softening properties of dryer sheets, this cleaning trick creates a practical way of keeping oven racks clean while saving time in the kitchen.

Screenshot 2023-11-02 at 3.52.51 PM.png
Cleaning oven racks with dryer sheets and dish soap makes the cleaning process faster and easier. Credit: Pexels

To begin, place an old towel at the bottom of your bathtub to protect it from scratches and stains, then put several dryer sheets in.

Place the oven racks on top of the towel and sheets, and fill the tub with warm water until the racks are fully submerged. Add a quarter to half cup of dishwashing soap and leave it overnight.

If you don’t have a bathtub, place the racks on the sink or large container where they fit.

If none of these fit your oven rack, another alternative is to put them in a large rubbish bag and fill them with warm water, dryer sheets, and dish soap. Tie it up and place it outside in the sun.

You’ll notice the grime has loosened up the following day. Grab a sponge or another dryer sheet and gently scrub the oven racks. You’ll also notice that the residue would come off easily.

You can then give the racks a good rinse and leave them out to air dry properly before placing them back inside the oven.

Now, if you found the instructions written above a bit hard to visualise, fret not!

We found a video that pretty much summarises this tip. You can watch it below:

If you want to experiment with other cleaning techniques, you can also check this cleaning trick by another cleaning guru. In a previous story, she shared a ‘genius’ trick for cleaning oven racks without much effort, and the best part is—you won’t need to do any scrubbing! Read more about it here.

Key Takeaways
  • Cleaning an oven, particularly the racks, is a challenging task due to residues and stubborn grime.
  • Instead of conventional cleaning methods, dryer sheets can be used as they soften and break down stuck-on grime on oven racks.
  • The cleaning method involved combining dryer sheets and dish soap, which can considerably ease the process of oven rack maintenance.
  • The method entailed filling a bathtub with warm water, adding dryer sheets and dish soap, and allowing the oven racks to soak overnight. The softened grime can then be scrubbed off easily the following day.

What do you think of this cleaning technique? Do you have any other cleaning tips and tricks you want to share? Let us know in the comments below!

Reactions: Sockjoan and BJM
Sponsored
I put my oven racks in the dishwasher every time I turn it on. Anything remaining use old fashioned steel wool.
If you don't have a dishwasher, use a bit of dishwashing powder and soak overnight.
Thats how it was done in commercial kitchen.

I clean my racks by placing a towel in the bath, put the racks on top. Just cover the racks with hot water. Wearing rubber gloves (not latex), place half a cup of granulated laundry soaker in a container( if racks are extremely dirty, may need to use more) add a little warm water to make a slurry. Add slurry to the bath water, leave over night, in the morning rinse racks, with warm water, dry and replace in the oven!!
Racks look shiny and new…works for me!!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Seia Ibanez
I use a harsh triethanolamine/sodium hydroxide based oven cleaner such as Easy-Off. MUST be done outdoors. Using a sheet of polyethylene plastic and using a generous spray on BOTH sides, wait 20 minutes and hose off. Don't forget your safety gloves - not your ordinary latex ones.

If you are confident of totally removing and replacing the oven door, do the same. And for those totally baked on deposits, use heavy duty stainless steel kitchen scourers.

Baking, roasting, frying, broiling—whatever your style in the kitchen, constant use of the oven will surely leave a residue. Oven racks are prone to grease and grime, which all add up to a never-ending scrubbing.

It’s true—by combining dryer sheets with some good old-fashioned soapy water, you can take the arduous chore of scrubbing racks to a less painful process.

Dryer sheets are usually used with laundry washing and contain softeners to soften clothes. However, the chemicals and softeners in these sheets can also work to soften and break down tougher surfaces like oven racks.

Along with these sheets, dish soap also comes in handy, as they have grease-fighting properties.

The dish soap helps break down oily and greasy residue, and partnered with the softening properties of dryer sheets, this cleaning trick creates a practical way of keeping oven racks clean while saving time in the kitchen.

View attachment 34054
Cleaning oven racks with dryer sheets and dish soap makes the cleaning process faster and easier. Credit: Pexels

To begin, place an old towel at the bottom of your bathtub to protect it from scratches and stains, then put several dryer sheets in.

Place the oven racks on top of the towel and sheets, and fill the tub with warm water until the racks are fully submerged. Add a quarter to half cup of dishwashing soap and leave it overnight.

If you don’t have a bathtub, place the racks on the sink or large container where they fit.

If none of these fit your oven rack, another alternative is to put them in a large rubbish bag and fill them with warm water, dryer sheets, and dish soap. Tie it up and place it outside in the sun.

You’ll notice the grime has loosened up the following day. Grab a sponge or another dryer sheet and gently scrub the oven racks. You’ll also notice that the residue would come off easily.

You can then give the racks a good rinse and leave them out to air dry properly before placing them back inside the oven.

Now, if you found the instructions written above a bit hard to visualise, fret not!

If you want to experiment with other cleaning techniques, you can also check this cleaning trick by another cleaning guru. In a previous story, she shared a ‘genius’ trick for cleaning oven racks without much effort, and the best part is—you won’t need to do any scrubbing! Read more about it here.

Key Takeaways

• Cleaning an oven, particularly the racks, is a challenging task due to residues and stubborn grime.
  • Instead of conventional cleaning methods, dryer sheets can be used as they soften and break down stuck-on grime on oven racks.
  • The cleaning method involved combining dryer sheets and dish soap, which can considerably ease the process of oven rack maintenance.
  • The method entailed filling a bathtub with warm water, adding dryer sheets and dish soap, and allowing the oven racks to soak overnight. The softened grime can then be scrubbed off easily the following day.

What do you think of this cleaning technique? Do you have any other cleaning tips and tricks you want to share? Let us know in the comments below!

What the ... are dryer sheets? I'm 62 & av no idea what ya talking about! Will watch vid & get more confused lol! Hate oven cleaning so much i avoid using pven, preferring my weber q for all things needing an oven, so much easier to clean anyway

Reactions: Jennie
What the ... are dryer sheets? I'm 62 & av no idea what ya talking about! Will watch vid & get more confused lol! Hate oven cleaning so much i avoid using pven, preferring my weber q for all things needing an oven, so much easier to clean anyway
Dryer sheets are small pieces of cloth type material that you throw into the dryer when you are drying your clothes. It apparently reduces static, wrinkles and makes your clothes smell nice and they are expensive... Hope that helped :)

Reactions: Cheezil
I use to run a cafe and when we did roasts for the dinners at times I would take all the oven trays out and put them in the sink either in the cafe kitchen or the bigger kitchen and pour washing powder onto the trays and then fill it up with boiling hot water and leave to soak overnight. When I got into work in the morning I would take them out and if there was still some gunk on the racks I would use a steel wool pad and scrub the muck off (I also used the soap steel wool pads) and then rinse in hot water and towel dry and put back in the oven.. Just wear heavy duty rubber gloves....
I have heard someone used Borax and washing powder but I am not sure how that went, might have to try it on my racks they are disgusting.

View attachment 34054

Key Takeaways

Don’t have to clean my big oven I’ve never used it.😊I have a small bench top toaster oven I use does me.😋

Don’t have to clean my big oven I’ve never used it.😊I have a small bench top toaster oven I use does me.😋
I cook mainly veggies etc on the stovetop and microwave and sandwich press for fish does great crispy skin Barra.Bikkies and cakes i make in the toaster oven it’s great.😊

Reactions: Veggiepatch