Want a free pork roast from Woolworths? Discover how shoppers across Australia are getting theirs!

As the wise old saying goes, ‘There’s no such thing as a free lunch,’ but a group of Woolworths shoppers might just beg to differ.

Thanks to a supermarket loophole, frugal Aussies are scoring free pork roasts, and they're not keeping this secret to themselves!

Members of a popular Facebook group have recently been spilling the beans on how they've managed to snag these expensive cuts of meat for absolutely nothing.

The secret? Mindful shopping and a keen eye for detail, particularly at the checkout.

pork1.jpg
Woolworths customers took to social media to reveal how they scored free pork roasts at their local stores. Credit: makafood/Pexels

But what does this mean exactly?

According to the customers, they managed to score free roasts due to scanning errors under the Scanning Code of Practice.

The trick revolves around watching for mismatches between the marked reduced price and the scanned price at the cash register.

So, when our bargain hunters witnessed their roasts being scanned at full price – despite having a reduced marked price – they were well within their rights to receive a full refund at the service desk after making the purchase.

pork2.jpg
One shopper scored heaps of pork belly roasts for $14 – and two of them were given for free. Credit: Facebook

Some shoppers candidly admitted that they ‘intentionally look for these mistakes’ to collect free meat, with one encouraging others to ‘be on the lookout.

The same shopper confessed, ‘Sometimes I will go to shops more than once a day if I have time. Sometimes it's pure luck, and sometimes it's catching them out doing the wrong thing.’

The shopper also shared that after a recent shopping trip, she took home $180 worth of pork roasts for an unbelievable $14.

‘Ended up with nearly $180 worth of pork belly for $44 due to a scanning error at Woolworths,’ she shared on the Retail Reductions Australia Facebook page.

‘Two free and then ten at $5 per kg. I paid $30 of that with Rewards dollars! Happy gal – helped some friends and topped up my freezer,’ she explained.

The shopper also said that she intentionally looks for these mistakes at supermarkets. ‘Not our fault if staff can’t get things right. They have a scanning policy, so why shouldn’t we benefit from that?’ She added.

pork3.jpg
In one photo, the pork roasts have been reduced to $5 per kilo but scanned for their full price. Credit: Facebook

Ever ready to seize a golden opportunity, another Woolworths shopper capitalised on an incorrect scanning issue and picked up a free Slow-Cooked Pork Knuckle.

‘The price tag on the shelf would have been a lesser price per kg; however, when I paid, the price was wrong – so I got the item for free,' she explained.

The customer also pointed out that you must first purchase the incorrectly scanned item to receive it for free: ‘I usually pay for it and then go around to the service counter and say the price is incorrect,’ the shopper advised.

‘They will go check, and if you are right, they will apologise and refund the item.’

Other savvy shoppers said they also keep an eye out for these issues at their local stores.

‘Good on you! I intentionally look for those mistakes. My local [store] is hopeless,’ one customer wrote.

‘You can go in two weeks later, and they still have old sale prices on shelves – or the other way, the sale item scans up as full price,’ they added.

‘A mistake is a mistake, but when you point it out so much to them, talk to the manager, and it still happens?’

One more shopper stated how it was important for consumers to know the scanning policies of their local stores.

‘Woolies and Coles have different barcoding systems, so this may or may not work in your favour,’ the shopper explained.

Checking for labelling errors was also the advice of one shopper who claimed to nab a ‘rare’ chocolate bar for an unbelievably low price. You can read the rest of the story here.

Under the Scanning Code of Practice, Woolworths customers are entitled to an item free of charge if the scanned price is greater than the displayed shelf price.

Supermarket Code of Conduct- What You Need To Know_.jpg
Here's what you need to know. Image credit: The Seniors Discount Club

This, however, does not apply to products with a shelf price exceeding $50 nor to tobacco and liquor products; instead, the price will be adjusted to match the displayed shelf price.
Key Takeaways

• Woolworths customers have been able to pick up free pork roasts due to a supermarket loophole as they share their experiences on social media.
  • The shoppers scored the expensive meat buys by paying close attention at the checkout and noticing scanning errors, which allowed them to receive a full refund at the service desk after purchasing the items.
  • Some customers admitted they intentionally look for these mistakes in order to grab free meats and urge others to be on the lookout for similar issues at their local supermarkets.
  • It is important for shoppers to know the scanning policies of their local supermarkets in order to benefit from such errors and save on their grocery bills.
  • Woolworths is a signatory to the Scanning Code of Practice, which entitles customers to receive an item free of charge if the scanned price is greater than the shelf price displayed.
So, members, keep an eye out the next time you're at the shops. You might come back with a little something extra to give you a week of mouth-watering roasts!

As always, let us know if you have any tips for scoring deals while grocery shopping!

Sponsored
If you buy two or more of the same item and are over charged they will refund the whole ammount of the first one and the over charged ammount of the others. If you point out at the checkout that it scanned wrong they just fix it as you actually haven't been charged until you pay for it.

I don't think I could go looking for wrong priced items, this could turn into a compulsion

If I saw it scan wrong at the checkout I would tell them if I didn't notice it until after then I would go to the service desk.

There is something called Morals that I try to Obide by

Last edited:
As the wise old saying goes, ‘There’s no such thing as a free lunch,’ but a group of Woolworths shoppers might just beg to differ.

Thanks to a supermarket loophole, frugal Aussies are scoring free pork roasts, and they're not keeping this secret to themselves!

Members of a popular Facebook group have recently been spilling the beans on how they've managed to snag these expensive cuts of meat for absolutely nothing.

The secret? Mindful shopping and a keen eye for detail, particularly at the checkout.

View attachment 22254
Woolworths customers took to social media to reveal how they scored free pork roasts at their local stores. Credit: makafood/Pexels

According to the customers, they managed to score free roasts due to scanning errors under the Scanning Code of Practice.

The trick revolves around watching for mismatches between the marked reduced price and the scanned price at the cash register.

So, when our bargain hunters witnessed their roasts being scanned at full price – despite having a reduced marked price – they were well within their rights to receive a full refund at the service desk after making the purchase.

View attachment 22255
One shopper scored heaps of pork belly roasts for $14 – and two of them were given for free. Credit: Facebook

Some shoppers candidly admitted that they ‘intentionally look for these mistakes’ to collect free meat, with one encouraging others to ‘be on the lookout.

The same shopper confessed, ‘Sometimes I will go to shops more than once a day if I have time. Sometimes it's pure luck, and sometimes it's catching them out doing the wrong thing.’

The shopper also shared that after a recent shopping trip, she took home $180 worth of pork roasts for an unbelievable $14.

‘Ended up with nearly $180 worth of pork belly for $44 due to a scanning error at Woolworths,’ she shared on the Retail Reductions Australia Facebook page.

‘Two free and then ten at $5 per kg. I paid $30 of that with Rewards dollars! Happy gal – helped some friends and topped up my freezer,’ she explained.

The shopper also said that she intentionally looks for these mistakes at supermarkets. ‘Not our fault if staff can’t get things right. They have a scanning policy, so why shouldn’t we benefit from that?’ She added.

View attachment 22256
In one photo, the pork roasts have been reduced to $5 per kilo but scanned for their full price. Credit: Facebook

Ever ready to seize a golden opportunity, another Woolworths shopper capitalised on an incorrect scanning issue and picked up a free Slow-Cooked Pork Knuckle.

‘The price tag on the shelf would have been a lesser price per kg; however, when I paid, the price was wrong – so I got the item for free,' she explained.

The customer also pointed out that you must first purchase the incorrectly scanned item to receive it for free: ‘I usually pay for it and then go around to the service counter and say the price is incorrect,’ the shopper advised.

‘They will go check, and if you are right, they will apologise and refund the item.’

Other savvy shoppers said they also keep an eye out for these issues at their local stores.

‘Good on you! I intentionally look for those mistakes. My local [store] is hopeless,’ one customer wrote.

‘You can go in two weeks later, and they still have old sale prices on shelves – or the other way, the sale item scans up as full price,’ they added.

‘A mistake is a mistake, but when you point it out so much to them, talk to the manager, and it still happens?’

One more shopper stated how it was important for consumers to know the scanning policies of their local stores.

‘Woolies and Coles have different barcoding systems, so this may or may not work in your favour,’ the shopper explained.

Checking for labelling errors was also the advice of one shopper who claimed to nab a ‘rare’ chocolate bar for an unbelievably low price. You can read the rest of the story here.

Under the Scanning Code of Practice, Woolworths customers are entitled to an item free of charge if the scanned price is greater than the displayed shelf price.

This, however, does not apply to products with a shelf price exceeding $50 nor to tobacco and liquor products; instead, the price will be adjusted to match the displayed shelf price.
Key Takeaways

• Woolworths customers have been able to pick up free pork roasts due to a supermarket loophole as they share their experiences on social media.
  • The shoppers scored the expensive meat buys by paying close attention at the checkout and noticing scanning errors, which allowed them to receive a full refund at the service desk after purchasing the items.
  • Some customers admitted they intentionally look for these mistakes in order to grab free meats and urge others to be on the lookout for similar issues at their local supermarkets.
  • It is important for shoppers to know the scanning policies of their local supermarkets in order to benefit from such errors and save on their grocery bills.
  • Woolworths is a signatory to the Scanning Code of Practice, which entitles customers to receive an item free of charge if the scanned price is greater than the shelf price displayed.
So, members, keep an eye out the next time you're at the shops. You might come back with a little something extra to give you a week of mouth-watering roasts!

As always, let us know if you have any tips for scoring deals while grocery shopping!
Fair enough if it's a genuine once-off error, but I can't condone the actions of people who purposely try to abuse this glitch by claiming multiple free items on purpose. That's not being honest in my view.

View attachment 22254

View attachment 22255

View attachment 22256

Key Takeaways

It would be nice if the supermarkets had reduced prices for pensioners only.

This isn't a super hint for a bargain. It's actually just plain old cheating.
You're better than this, come on!
AKA profiteering. It is unethical for wealthy people or businesses to do it and, in my opinion, the same applies to the rest of us. You do it and you sink to their level 😎

Would not work at out local Woolworths if you are overcharged they simply take back the item and refund your money

View attachment 22254

View attachment 22255

View attachment 22256

View attachment 22362

Key Takeaways

I once was in coles and saw a carton of mangoes for $9.99. When I went through the checkout it came up as $15.99, so I went to counter where you dispute it and expecting to receive the difference back and I came home with a free tray of mangoes.

I have very wealthy relatives who brag about thoroughly abusing this. They drive all over Brisbane filling the boot of their luxury car with free meat. Do they donate to desperately struggling families? No, they drag it all home to store in their huge freezer, purchased specifically for this. Greed

Woolies in Tasmania don't give full refunds anymore they just give the difference, it has happened to me a couple of times and all I ever get is the difference.

• Sad
Reactions: deni67
I find this all a bit deceitful. Yeah sure if you are over charged the money should be refunded, but to actually buy up more to scam them out of money! The supermarkets will not lose no matter what they will simply charge us more on other items. Everybody then gets charged for the dishonest scam
My thoughts exactly!! We pay yet again for other people’s dishonesty. They might as well just shop lift it and save themselves the time going through the checkout. There is no moral difference.

Many years ago, I was shopping at a Franklins Supermarkets when I thought that my shopping appeared quite expensive. On checking I discovered that all the items on special had scanned at the special price and then again at the original price. Store apoogised for the glitch in their system and refunded me
Next fortnight the same thing happened. I never shopped there again
I often wondered how many other people, who do not check their dockets, or who didn't realise just how expensive their shop was, got ripped off

Reactions: Jersey Girl
Many years ago, I was shopping at a Franklins Supermarkets when I thought that my shopping appeared quite expensive. On checking I discovered that all the items on special had scanned at the special price and then again at the original price. Store apoogised for the glitch in their system and refunded me
Next fortnight the same thing happened. I never shopped there again
I often wondered how many other people, who do not check their dockets, or who didn't realise just how expensive their shop was, got ripped off
That is why I ALWAYS insist on a paper receipt ..... and check it against the items once I get home.

View attachment 22254

View attachment 22255

View attachment 22256

I have had this happen to me sometimes but lately, the staff are just refunding the difference in price.

View attachment 22362

Key Takeaways

I have had this happen to me sometimes but lately, the staff are just refunding the difference in price.