Viral photo exposes Coles delivery truck's unauthorised use of disabled parking: ‘Do better’

It's bad enough when disabled or elderly people struggle to walk to a store or stand in a queue, but when they have to compete with something as massive as a truck for the limited number of designated disability parking spots, it just becomes unbearable.

A recent case shed some light on how much struggle the elderly and the disabled have to go through just to get through their day—whether for their doctor's appointments or just doing regular grocery shopping.

One morning in the Perth suburb of Canning Vale, an onlooker snapped pictures of a Coles truck perched in one of the designated disabled parking spots outside a daycare centre.

The passer-by had posted the photos online, but it's uncertain how long the truck had been there.

compressed-Screen Shot 2023-08-11 at 9.42.35 AM.jpeg
Outrage has erupted on social media after a Coles delivery truck was photographed parked in a disabled spot without the correct permit. Credit: Facebook.

Per the rules of Western Australia, a driver can only be eligible for this special permit if they cannot walk and must be using a wheelchair, have severely restricted mobility, suffer from a mental condition or disability, or be declared legally blind.

A special permit wasn't seen on the window or dashboard.

As anyone would expect, the community's people had not taken too kindly to this incident, with outrage erupting afterwards.

'Do better, Coles,' said one, while another commented: 'These people have no moral conscience.'

Others suggested that the truck may have been there only for a few minutes, but that's no excuse according to the law, as drivers caught illegally parking in a disability spot can be slapped with a fine of up to $500.

Whether the truck had an exemption under the parking rules is also unclear. Coles representatives have been contacted for comments, but none have been issued as of writing.

Key Takeaways

• Outrage has been sparked in a Perth community following a Coles delivery truck being photographed parked in a disabled spot without a visible permit.
  • The photos were taken outside a daycare centre in Canning Vale during the morning.
  • Western Australian laws state a driver must have a serious disability or limitation to be eligible for a disabled permit, with fines of up to $500 for unauthorised parking.
  • Social media users voiced their frustration and concern, urging Coles to 'do better'.

Disrespecting the laws in place has serious implications. Not only are these financial penalties, but it also means depriving certain community members of the convenience they require to go about their daily lives.

At the same time, if you are someone who needs access to disability parking for any valid reason, make sure to get the necessary permission and documentation first. That way, you ensure you won't be caught off guard in some difficult position should any such situation arise.

Let's continue to watch out for each other and adhere to safety regulations and laws wherever and whenever possible.

What do you think of this story, members? Feel free to leave a comment below!

Sponsored
I was just about to park in a disabled car park (with my disabled sticker) in a Woolworths car park, when another car came an parked in before me with out a sticker. I went and pointed this out to the admin in the shopping centre, but was told that it is private land belonging to the business and it is up to the security officers to patrol the area, which they don't usualloy have time to do.

I was just about to park in a disabled car park (with my disabled sticker) in a Woolworths car park, when another car came an parked in before me with out a sticker. I went and pointed this out to the admin in the shopping centre, but was told that it is private land belonging to the business and it is up to the security officers to patrol the area, which they don't usualloy have time to do.
You're kidding, pretty poor on their part. Why couldn't they ring security if that was the case
They might as well not bother to have disability bays, because there's always some entitled peabrain who uses them.

It's bad enough when disabled or elderly people struggle to walk to a store or stand in a queue, but when they have to compete with something as massive as a truck for the limited number of designated disability parking spots, it just becomes unbearable.

A recent case shed some light on how much struggle the elderly and the disabled have to go through just to get through their day—whether for their doctor's appointments or just doing regular grocery shopping.

One morning in the Perth suburb of Canning Vale, an onlooker snapped pictures of a Coles truck perched in one of the designated disabled parking spots outside a daycare centre.

The passer-by had posted the photos online, but it's uncertain how long the truck had been there.

View attachment 27211
Outrage has erupted on social media after a Coles delivery truck was photographed parked in a disabled spot without the correct permit. Credit: Facebook.

Per the rules of Western Australia, a driver can only be eligible for this special permit if they cannot walk and must be using a wheelchair, have severely restricted mobility, suffer from a mental condition or disability, or be declared legally blind.

As anyone would expect, the community's people had not taken too kindly to this incident, with outrage erupting afterwards.

'Do better, Coles,' said one, while another commented: 'These people have no moral conscience.'

Others suggested that the truck may have been there only for a few minutes, but that's no excuse according to the law, as drivers caught illegally parking in a disability spot can be slapped with a fine of up to $500.

Whether the truck had an exemption under the parking rules is also unclear. Coles representatives have been contacted for comments, but none have been issued as of writing.

Key Takeaways

• Outrage has been sparked in a Perth community following a Coles delivery truck being photographed parked in a disabled spot without a visible permit.
  • The photos were taken outside a daycare centre in Canning Vale during the morning.
  • Western Australian laws state a driver must have a serious disability or limitation to be eligible for a disabled permit, with fines of up to $500 for unauthorised parking.
  • Social media users voiced their frustration and concern, urging Coles to 'do better'.

Disrespecting the laws in place has serious implications. Not only are these financial penalties, but it also means depriving certain community members of the convenience they require to go about their daily lives.

At the same time, if you are someone who needs access to disability parking for any valid reason, make sure to get the necessary permission and documentation first. That way, you ensure you won't be caught off guard in some difficult position should any such situation arise.

Let's continue to watch out for each other and adhere to safety regulations and laws wherever and whenever possible.

I've lost track of the number of times I've seen someone pull into one of these spots without a sticker. Inconsiderate, lazy and no regard or respect for the disabled. There are far too few spaces for the disabled.

I am a regular user of these bays as my husband has disabilities, however if he decides to stay in the car I will use an alternative option (as is the rules). Sometimes I find it hard to find a vacant bay as there are so few options at most places. If I see someone parked in one without a sticker I usually point it out to them but these days it is hard to know if it is safe to do so....

Wow, again, inconsiderate arses, but, what about " senior " parking bays - used by anyone whether senior or not, also, parking for mothers with babies - the list goes on. The younger generation today think we " owe " them and are too bloody lazy to walk a few metres - this was a great article, however, shopping centre management couldn't care less.

View attachment 27211

Key Takeaways

Couldn’t care less if parked for one second. As an elderly disabled person even walking an extra row is hard. I report to centre management and security go straight away to remove the intruders, I was told to please park in parents with prams if necessary as they are usually close.

View attachment 27211

Key Takeaways

This So Wrong! No Excuses. Why would a Delivery Driver Need To Park In The Disability Zone?? This makes me wonder 🤔 What is Wrong with Him/Her. Very interested in hearing the response from COLES????

Reactions: Jersey Girl
These large shopping centres should actually have signs stating your car will be towed if you illegally park in disability bays, and follow thru with it.
It is illegal to park in one without a tag. A friend called the police, took a photo , was told to send it to them, told they would be sent a warning letter and threat of fine if repeated.

I am a regular user of these bays as my husband has disabilities, however if he decides to stay in the car I will use an alternative option (as is the rules). Sometimes I find it hard to find a vacant bay as there are so few options at most places. If I see someone parked in one without a sticker I usually point it out to them but these days it is hard to know if it is safe to do so....
You are taking a risk when you confront these lawbreakers as you don’t know what the reaction will be.

Wow, again, inconsiderate arses, but, what about " senior " parking bays - used by anyone whether senior or not, also, parking for mothers with babies - the list goes on. The younger generation today think we " owe " them and are too bloody lazy to walk a few metres - this was a great article, however, shopping centre management couldn't care less.
The first time I used a seniors spot I was very upset that no ne challenged me about parking there lol. Another time I had my grandkids with me and I mentioned about seniors parking spots and when we got out of the car my granddaughter flung her arms around me and said “I don’t want you to die” lol

The first time I used a seniors spot I was very upset that no ne challenged me about parking there lol. Another time I had my grandkids with me and I mentioned about seniors parking spots and when we got out of the car my granddaughter flung her arms around me and said “I don’t want you to die” lol
We don’t have senior parking spots in Qld , not that it would help as inconsiderate people would still park there as they do in disability and mothers parks.

This So Wrong! No Excuses. Why would a Delivery Driver Need To Park In The Disability Zone?? This makes me wonder 🤔 What is Wrong with Him/Her. Very interested in hearing the response from COLES????
Not likely to happen,you will be fobbed off with some excuse.