Viral 'hack' for cleaning toilet seat sparks outrage on social media: 'That's nasty'

Here at the SDC, we are always on the lookout for clever new ways to clean our homes that will cut down the time and the amount of labour that is required.

But we also have to acknowledge that some of the cleaning ideas that have gained a lot of traction on the internet aren't always worth trying.

Just take a look at this toilet seat cleaning 'hack' that has now gone viral on social media, racking up to 3.5 million views in just a matter of days.

If you're wondering why the video caused so much uproar, here's the reason.

According to influencers Janelle Flom and Kate Heintzelman from the US, there is a more effective method to clean your toilet seats at home, and that involves placing them in the dishwasher alongside other items such as drinking cups, food bowls, and many other dining utensils.

Folks, we don't know anything about the people who posted the clip, but the 'hack' screams unhygienic to us…

KeO1pQDp4TovQjO_dn4MGdr_JzhQFnfRb9abXEpH4U8fANVMKtX2GworvK0X_dvRa1ImyrI8gPiVRzqcRMWV9FlrU3DfRowOKrv5orsPEvtqfN6P7fFvLkHeNh8zqt5HHV4uKRRLEjNPYuk74vMrBiAlpGp_5_TIL68FXvEd2u4cXAdr6oSYGFFozw

Influencers say to put toilet seats in the dishwasher to clean them. Credit: Instagram.

It came as no surprise that thousands of people across various social media platforms considered the 'hack' to be highly unhelpful, with some going as far as to describe it as 'nasty'.

'I'm about to get violent because what the f**k…' one user wrote in a tweet. Another user also reacted to the clip and said, 'If you invite me over for dinner and I see your toilet seat in the dishwasher, I'm turning around and never coming back.'

'This is why we shouldn't be eating at other people's houses,' a third went on to say.

Hundreds of users also commented with a barrage of vomiting emojis, flooding the page with negative responses.

Can a dishwasher really clean and completely kill all the germs on a toilet seat?

In 2019, CHOICE Australia, a consumer organisation, compiled a comprehensive list of items that can and cannot be washed in a dishwasher. When it comes to the dishwasher, plastics—of which toilet seats are frequently made—are on a case-by-case basis.

'A hot dishwasher can warp or damage some plastics, and squeezing plastic items into small spaces may also cause warping – so while you can put them in the dishwasher, they should go on the top shelf,' the consumer website explained.

'Plastics also have a low thermal mass, so they don't dry especially well in your dishwasher.'

The experts also recommended that you shouldn't put anything in the dishwasher that could contaminate it, such as wax, cigarette ash, toxins, mineral oils, wet paints, or oiled tools.

Credit: Clean My Space.

As for your toilet seats, watch the video above to learn how to clean them properly. At least in this way, they won't be anywhere near the place where you prepare or eat your food.

There you have it, folks! Not every cleaning 'hack' you see on social media will give you the results you want, so it's always best to do your research and keep an eye out. If you have more to add to this subject, please feel free to let us know in the comments!

Sponsored
Here at the SDC, we are always on the lookout for clever new ways to clean our homes that will cut down the time and the amount of labour that is required.

But we also have to acknowledge that some of the cleaning ideas that have gained a lot of traction on the internet aren't always worth trying.

Just take a look at this toilet seat cleaning 'hack' that has now gone viral on social media, racking up to 3.5 million views in just a matter of days.

According to influencers Janelle Flom and Kate Heintzelman from the US, there is a more effective method to clean your toilet seats at home, and that involves placing them in the dishwasher alongside other items such as drinking cups, food bowls, and many other dining utensils.

Folks, we don't know anything about the people who posted the clip, but the 'hack' screams unhygienic to us…

KeO1pQDp4TovQjO_dn4MGdr_JzhQFnfRb9abXEpH4U8fANVMKtX2GworvK0X_dvRa1ImyrI8gPiVRzqcRMWV9FlrU3DfRowOKrv5orsPEvtqfN6P7fFvLkHeNh8zqt5HHV4uKRRLEjNPYuk74vMrBiAlpGp_5_TIL68FXvEd2u4cXAdr6oSYGFFozw

Influencers say to put toilet seats in the dishwasher to clean them. Credit: Instagram.

It came as no surprise that thousands of people across various social media platforms considered the 'hack' to be highly unhelpful, with some going as far as to describe it as 'nasty'.

'I'm about to get violent because what the f**k…' one user wrote in a tweet. Another user also reacted to the clip and said, 'If you invite me over for dinner and I see your toilet seat in the dishwasher, I'm turning around and never coming back.'

'This is why we shouldn't be eating at other people's houses,' a third went on to say.

Hundreds of users also commented with a barrage of vomiting emojis, flooding the page with negative responses.

Can a dishwasher really clean and completely kill all the germs on a toilet seat?

In 2019, CHOICE Australia, a consumer organisation, compiled a comprehensive list of items that can and cannot be washed in a dishwasher. When it comes to the dishwasher, plastics—of which toilet seats are frequently made—are on a case-by-case basis.

'A hot dishwasher can warp or damage some plastics, and squeezing plastic items into small spaces may also cause warping – so while you can put them in the dishwasher, they should go on the top shelf,' the consumer website explained.

'Plastics also have a low thermal mass, so they don't dry especially well in your dishwasher.'

The experts also recommended that you shouldn't put anything in the dishwasher that could contaminate it, such as wax, cigarette ash, toxins, mineral oils, wet paints, or oiled tools.

As for your toilet seats, watch the video above to learn how to clean them properly. At least in this way, they won't be anywhere near the place where you prepare or eat your food.

There you have it, folks! Not every cleaning 'hack' you see on social media will give you the results you want, so it's always best to do your research and keep an eye out. If you have more to add to this subject, please feel free to let us know in the comments!

Hang on folk, I'm just off to the bathroom to dis-assemble my loo, there is a loo seat shaped space in my dishwasher that I simply must fill!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Who needs a quick spray, scrub and wipe down when with a bit of effort it could take you 3, 3.5 hours to achieve a lesser outcome!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I have always thought that dishwashers are a waste of space but hey that's just my opinion, I do have one but very rarely use it, prefering instead to wash up and clean the kitchen by hand. It amazes me that so many younger people (note that we do not have children or a large family)and some helpless husbands will use every cup in the house and then load the diswasher instead of rinsing out and reusing, the same goes for a single clothing item placed in a washing machine But the sheer laziness and no idea of even basic hygine that prompted this so called "Hack" is just gobsmacking.

I was actually friends with a lady who used her dishwasher to wash all her toilet brushes and holders and any non electric vacuum cleaner bits, no I no longer see her and if I did I certainly would not be eating at her house, so yes people do put nasties in dishwashers, another lady I heard about found out that while she was at work her hubby would put car parts in the dishwasher to clean them to save him the affort while doing maintanance work on their cars.

Incredibly unhygienic. There is no amount of hot water and detergent that could get those germs off that seat. Contaminated the whole dishwasher. What is the matter with that person? You don't need to do that with seats that can be removed and cleaned outside.

Appears to be good advice, but to be fair, the toilet bowl, seat, pedestal & cistern look to me as if they have never been used at all. 3 minutes? I don't think so if it is being used at all.

Reactions: Mrs P and Ricci
I was actually friends with a lady who used her dishwasher to wash all her toilet brushes and holders and any non electric vacuum cleaner bits, no I no longer see her and if I did I certainly would not be eating at her house, so yes people do put nasties in dishwashers, another lady I heard about found out that while she was at work her hubby would put car parts in the dishwasher to clean them to save him the affort while doing maintanance work on their cars.
Grosse!

Reactions: TheBear and Ricci