Violent storm leaves senior couple homeless: 'It’s all over now'

In the blink of an eye, a peaceful afternoon turned into a nightmare for an elderly South Australian couple when a violent storm caused a tree to crash onto their houseboat.

This incident has left them homeless and with nothing but the clothes on their backs.

Pam, 77, and David, 82, were enjoying their retirement years living on their beloved houseboat, named 'Pamela's Joy', moored on the tranquil waters of South Australia's Murray River.

But on February 13, as they sat in their living room, a sudden storm uprooted a tree that fell onto their houseboat, causing it to cave in.

SDC 7.png
A senior couple’s beloved houseboat was destroyed during a violent storm in Murray River. Image source: GoFundMe/Shenay Harris.

Their granddaughter, Shenay Harris, recounted the harrowing incident, expressing her disbelief and gratitude that her grandparents escaped with only minor injuries.

'My nan was actually stuck. Her legs were pinned from all the rubble of the roof caving in, and my pop managed to be able to stand up and reach for the phone to call emergency services,' Harris said.

'Looking at the boat and where they were sitting and everything, we have no idea how they are still with us.'

'It’s just absolutely amazing that they’re still here, and they’re OK.'

The houseboat was more than just a home for Pam and David.

It was a symbol of their retirement dream and a local icon known for its colourful artwork painted by David.

'My pop, he’s absolutely shattered,' Harris added.

'[He] said to us, “It’s all over now.” [We’re] trying to reassure him [that] “No, it’s just a new beginning.”'

For 23 years, the couple lived on the boat, creating a lifetime of memories.

'It’s been my whole childhood and life with them living on the boat.'

'I remember going there as a kid, and tourist boats full of people would slow down and almost stop as they went past for people to take photos,' Harris reminisced.

Unfortunately, the houseboat was not insured at the time of the accident, leaving the couple with no financial recourse.

They are now living with family members until they can find permanent housing.

An online fundraiser has been launched to support the couple in their time of need.

'They’ve literally just lost everything they’ve got, you know, no assets, nowhere to go, no money.'

'They’re both pensioners. They’ve really got nothing to their name now, having lost the boat. So really just to get them back on their feet.'
Key Takeaways

• A senior South Australian couple have lost everything after a tree fell onto their houseboat during a storm.
  • The grandparents were on their houseboat moored in the Murray River when the incident occurred, escaping with only minor injuries.
  • Their houseboat, named 'Pamela's Joy,' which they've had for 23 years, was uninsured, and they are now homeless with no prospects for a replacement or compensation.
  • An online fundraiser has been launched to support the couple, who are both pensioners and have lost all their assets.
Have you or someone you know experienced a similar situation? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
I am sorry that they have lost everything But the 3 times I have bought new houses the first thing done was to insure them, i suppose we all think to ourselves is It cannot happen to me
Having lived on a houseboat for many years myself, it is incredibly difficult to get insurance unless it’s a cookie cutter fibreglass boat that ticks all the insurers boxes. Most houseboats are often homebuilt with electrics and gas that are probably not perfectly done. Everything on a boat is twice the cost of the same thing for a house, and these people are pensioners just living quietly, minding their own business- with not a lot of money.
My heart goes out to them - there but for fortune. . .

• Sad
Reactions: Cheezil
Having lived on a houseboat for many years myself, it is incredibly difficult to get insurance unless it’s a cookie cutter fibreglass boat that ticks all the insurers boxes. Most houseboats are often homebuilt with electrics and gas that are probably not perfectly done. Everything on a boat is twice the cost of the same thing for a house, and these people are pensioners just living quietly, minding their own business- with not a lot of money.
My heart goes out to them - there but for fortune. . .
Agree, easy for the people with enough money to be able to afford insurance to judge in this situation! Budgets dont always stretch far enough & something has to drop off (& I'd probably make the same call in a very tight situation, preferring to have enough $ for the basics like food, a roof & warmth, etc!
Hope there's light at the end of the tunnel for them

Reactions: Ezzy and PattiB
Agree, easy for the people with enough money to be able to afford insurance to judge in this situation! Budgets dont always stretch far enough & something has to drop off (& I'd probably make the same call in a very tight situation, preferring to have enough $ for the basics like food, a roof & warmth, etc!
Like most pensioners I do not have much money in the bank, but with careful budgeting I pay my bills on time, arriving in Australia in 1958 I worked every hour I could then buying a block of land, when that was paid off we had a loan for an house, It was not a big house but it suited our family, when I was transferred from Melbourne to Adelaide we sold the house and built another with the proceeds, later on when my wife was suffering from Cancer our Doctor said living close to the beach would help her so again we sold and bought a show home, when shopping I do not buy any luxuries only what I require, My motto is If you cannot afford it do not buy it Have a good day Dennis.

Me too 🙏🏻

Like most pensioners I do not have much money in the bank, but with careful budgeting I pay my bills on time, arriving in Australia in 1958 I worked every hour I could then buying a block of land, when that was paid off we had a loan for an house, It was not a big house but it suited our family, when I was transferred from Melbourne to Adelaide we sold the house and built another with the proceeds, later on when my wife was suffering from Cancer our Doctor said living close to the beach would help her so again we sold and bought a show home, when shopping I do not buy any luxuries only what I require, My motto is If you cannot afford it do not buy it Have a good day Dennis.
That is my family’s story as well. Why live on something that you cannot insure? There are many grey nomads in motor homes that know river gums are widowmakers The same with people living in flood areas and then expect to have help when the inevitable occurs.

Wow I can’t believe how sanctimonious some people are - we know nothing of this poor couple’s story! Clearly they would love to be living in a ‘show home’ near the beach with all the mod cons AND insurance - but not everyone’s life is the same and they had a dream to live on the water in a boat they could paint and make interesting that had been their home without mishap for 23 years - hardly the same as living in a flood zone!
Have some compassion a tree could fall on any one of us it’s random not predictable!

• Love
Wow I can’t believe how sanctimonious some people are - we know nothing of this poor couple’s story! Clearly they would love to be living in a ‘show home’ near the beach with all the mod cons AND insurance - but not everyone’s life is the same and they had a dream to live on the water in a boat they could paint and make interesting that had been their home without mishap for 23 years - hardly the same as living in a flood zone!
Have some compassion a tree could fall on any one of us it’s random not predictable!
But if it was insured, then compensation would be of help, surely??

I do not know what it is like living on a boat moored to the bank, but I would think that overheads would not be as high as owning an house.

Probably yes - if they had the money to make it insurable, but don’t you think they would have if they could
Our houseboat was home built and was definitely not insurable because it’s electrics we’re installed by us- very safe, never had a moments problem with them but totally uninsurable!

I do not know what it is like living on a boat moored to the bank, but I would think that overheads would not be as high as owning an house.
We were not moored to a bank so we paid mooring fees to have a mooring.
They probably were moored to the bank if a tree fell on them.
It is definitely cheaper to live on the water but only if you’re careful and don’t waste gas and water- you become very frugal and good at recycling. But you can’t compare the convenience to living on land, more like living in a caravan.

We were not moored to a bank so we paid mooring fees to have a mooring.
They probably were moored to the bank if a tree fell on them.
It is definitely cheaper to live on the water but only if you’re careful and don’t waste gas and water- you become very frugal and good at recycling. But you can’t compare the convenience to living on land, more like living in a caravan.
Thanks for the reply.