Video captures couple being ‘targeted’ while on holiday: ‘You need to watch out’

It's the kind of incident that can turn a dream holiday into a nightmare.

For one couple, a serene day at the beach in Europe was marred by an unexpected and despicable attack that left them shaken.

This is a reminder of the intolerance that still exists in some parts of the world.

Ricky Liu and his boyfriend Craig were enjoying the sun and sea at Bacvice Beach, near the picturesque coastal city of Split in southern Croatia, when their peaceful swim turned into a distressing ordeal.

The couple, who were simply taking photos in the water, found themselves the targets of an unprovoked assault that they believed was motivated by their sexuality.

image.jpg
Ricky Liu and his boyfriend were ‘targeted’ by people while on their holiday. Credit: @rickyliu / Instagram

The incident, around 3 PM on 12 July, began when Liu noticed children throwing sand at them.

Initially dismissing it as a childish prank, the situation quickly escalated. After confronting the group, Liu was met with taunts and further aggression.

'I walked up to them, and I was, like, "Can you please stop throwing sand at us?",' Liu said.

He claimed the group taunted him for being gay.

A video uploaded on social media by Liu captured the confrontation, showing him speaking to several of the children involved before more sand was thrown, some of which got into his eye.

But the harassment didn't end there. As the couple and a friend made their way back to shore, they were subjected to further abuse.

According to Liu, a man and a woman threw pebbles and cigarettes at them, and the woman spat on the ground as they were getting dressed.

The hostility continued even as they attempted to leave the beach, with Liu claiming that a man followed them and physically assaulted Craig, pushing him into a tree and punching him.

'If you're gay and you go to Croatia, you need to watch out,' he said.

'I have to be fearful for my safety for the rest of my holiday.'

You can watch Liu’s video below (Disclaimer: The video contains swear language):

Credit: @rickyrliu / Instagram

The distressing footage and Liu's account of the events have sparked outrage on social media, with users expressing their disgust and supporting the couple.

'I'm so sorry that you had to experience this,' one user commented, while another shared their own experience.

‘'I’m so sorry this happened to you. I was in Split this summer, and luckily (I) didn’t experience this however, many people were quick to judge and stare,' they said.

In a follow-up video, Liu revealed that the man who punched his partner has been charged, and Croatian Police are now in contact with their friend to interview as part of the investigation.

'In relation to the other participants, it was determined that they were children under the age of 14,' police said in a statement.

'Given the fact that a child under the Criminal Code of the Republic of Croatia is not criminally liable, criminal and/or misdemeanour proceedings cannot be initiated against them.’

You can watch the follow-up video below:

Credit: @rickyrliu / Instagram

Key Takeaways

• A couple experienced a despicable act where they were targeted and pelted with sand due to their sexuality while swimming at a beach in Croatia.
  • The couple was taking photos when they were disturbed by children throwing sand at them, which escalated to taunts about their sexual orientation and further aggression from adults.
  • Footage of the incident was captured and shared on social media, showing the couple being harassed and sustained abuse even while trying to leave the beach.
  • The man who allegedly punched one of the couple has been arrested, and Croatian Police are cooperating with the couple in the investigation, though the children involved cannot face criminal charges due to their age.
Have you or someone you know ever faced discrimination while travelling? How did you handle the situation, and what advice would you give others? Let us know in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored