Vegetarian chef goes viral with fake meat recipes - “Looks so good!”

If you’ve been keeping an eye out for meat alternatives, then you’ve probably come across thousands of plant-based products that are readily available on supermarket shelves. But attempting to transition to a healthier (or much more environmentally friendly) diet with vegetarian food products can be a hit or miss.

You’ve got to be brave enough to risk your meal possibly tasting like cardboard or regret… Luckily, a beloved vegetarian chef from TikTok is here to save the day – and your tastebuds!

Shreya, who is behind the blog Shreya’s Kitchen, accumulated 1.1 million followers on TikTok for her genius vegetarian recipes. While a couple of her recipes make no attempt to imitate meat, like her Veggie Dumplings, her recipes that do, can fool even the most passionate meat-lovers at first glance.

“Ultimately, I just want to say I am not here to convince or guilt anyone into not eating meat!” she wrote in an Instagram post. “I’m just here providing some cool options for whoever has use for them!”

In a recent video, she compiled some of her favourite vegetarian recipes and oh boy, get ready to have your minds blown!

D6lpCQ-oGcLD179LUDawLl0RtP7gD-XoW6WuhbQ1B3VFg3Y0b6onyLlL2mTR5mOlVZMjJyaWRQH92VnTU3PSZeUUs7s8ngy8vUqT98mgBP5fTBmXPxexMIO4AV6eLwS3HQdQBz7j

Image Credit: Shreya’s Kitchen

1. Buffalo ‘Chicken Wings’ made with Cauliflower

Okay, maybe we shouldn’t refer to them as chicken… but hey, who doesn’t love a good ol’ plate of Chicken Wings? We definitely do. Now, you have an option to indulge in this delicious, savoury dish that’s meat-free.

Shreya starts by breaking apart a whole head of cauliflower into small florets. She batters them in a mixture of flour, spices, and unsweetened milk and then pops them in an air fryer.

After leaving them to cook for a while, she adds a homemade sauce that’s made from hot sauce and melted butter then tosses them back in the air fryer.

Easy as one, two, and three!

“This looks so good omg!” one user praised.

JqsO23OiNn0YAWmKj8vWXeWEiHl6si-3cnRuCNhr0cppa87FOLZWSKxOxSYKpZW47hZKuCd_GG7j8S4GrXYRYkH5xryGMCauUPmV7LNMNFVzgvekRYWutrL6CBtSN-tLG03eaOuu

2. Crispy fried ‘chicken’ made with oyster mushrooms

This isn’t the first time we’ve heard of mushrooms being used as a meat substitute. The umami flavour they have is irresistible! Oh, and they turn out looking like the real deal too.

“Oyster mushrooms truly do have a “meat-like” texture that is fantastic if you are craving a meaty texture but want something plant-based.” Shreya said.

“Or even if you aren’t on a plant-based diet, this is just simply delicious for what it is, and I’m sure you’re going to love it!”

She began by dipping the mushrooms in a wet batter made with spices, flour, and water. Then, the mushrooms are dipped this time, in a dry batter that consists of flour, breadcrumbs, and more spices.

Each piece is fried with utmost tender, love, and care to then be served on a plate alongside a dipping sauce of your choice.

3. ‘Calamari’ made with king oyster mushrooms

Yes, mushrooms are on a roll today! Who knew they could be so versatile? To create her calamari, which is usually made with squid, Shreya opts for king oyster mushrooms because it successfully replicates the taste and texture of seafood.

“The reason I'm obsessed with using king oyster mushrooms as a meat substitute is because you can manipulate the texture of these to imitate either chicken or seafood.” she explained.

The vegetarian chef kicked things off by slicing pieces of mushroom into rings. To do this, she simply cuts a hole in the centre, making it look more identical to regular calamari rings.

Next, she dips the mushroom rings into a batter before coating them in a mixture of flour, breadcrumbs, and spices so they can be deep-fried.

Once they were all good to go, the ‘calamari’ rings are served with a tartar dipping sauce and freshly squeezed lemon juice. Yum!

Video Credit: @shreyacookssss

4. Birria ‘goat meat’ tacos made with mushrooms

If you’re unfamiliar with Birria, it’s a Mexican stew that’s typically made with goat meat. However, Shreya creates her taco ‘meat’ with mushrooms and broth.

“I never knew I could crave something I’ve never even eaten before I saw Birria tacos. After seeing these all over my feed I knew I had to make a plant-based version so I could finally try them.”

wIOSiB2J6KVPzE2wTCeUVBISE0kETmJHvLeaOjsuOI1DEzpzqI80WVNfYWd42NkBtWUI2ZN5iz0wMVdYa2L-Pqy9sVA5c7Il-wRdDFhWnnNUsRCrJLIeNhVyPlvRm2uAsUKM5o5J

She makes the tacos with various spices, tomatoes, and pre-made veggie broth. Then, she tops it all off with cheese, cilantro, yellow onions, and lime juice.

5. Hot ‘chicken’ tenders made with pearl oyster mushrooms

After stumbling on a Tiktok video about a recipe for Nashville hot chicken tenders, Shreya knew she couldn’t pass up on the opportunity to create a vegetarian version of the dish.

“I have never felt sadder to be vegetarian than when I saw these on my TikTok feed.” she joked. “So I knew I had to make a meatless version.”

She whips up her own version by combining two batters - one wet and the other dry. She dips a full head of pearl oyster mushrooms into the wet mix and coats the battered mushrooms into the dry one which consists of panko breadcrumbs and several other spices.

She advised users to make sure to pack it on so that the mushrooms clump together to look like one big piece of chicken tender.

After battering the mushrooms, she tosses them in a deep fryer until they turn golden brown, before coating them in a Nashville hot sauce.

6. Paneer-stuffed aloo Tikki burger made with potatoes

Not all plant-based burgers are on the same level! Shreya explained that this recipe isn’t supposed to imitate real meat, and so she used potatoes and a type of Indian cheese called paneer.

JxHY-IP7MsXhCHmNtUq3V9hFjqcpIFzSoKsmYHqiBTYfUfhXdVA-GYM5hwpjgvZHgYumj8N3Z5bo-3pAS4lGy9FjpjJ63pT-0rNQTcK8YfBuMbZ68VCCKBtkVvsOd4NV6VbKBGEz

Simply boil and then mash the potatoes to easily incorporate the spices and then mould them into burger patties. She proceeds by adding a cheese and paneer blend in between two burger patties before popping them all in an air fryer.

Just like that, you’ve got yourself a scrumptious, meat-free burger!

7. ‘Bacon’ made with tofu

Last but not the least, Shreya tried out Gordon Ramsay’s vegan bacon recipe in a TikTok video. It’s made with pieces of smashed tofu that are flattened between rice paper strips, then marinated in a combination of soy sauce, spices, and maple syrup.

Doesn’t that sound incredibly appetising?

The possibilities are truly endless when it comes to cooking. Got some tried-and-tested vegetarian recipes? Share it with us in the comments below!

Want to see Shreya’s full TikTok video? Watch it below!

Reactions: Ricci and BJM
Sponsored
Vegetarian chef goes viral with fake meat recipes - “Looks so good!”

If you’ve been keeping an eye out for meat alternatives, then you’ve probably come across thousands of plant-based products that are readily available on supermarket shelves. But attempting to transition to a healthier (or much more environmentally friendly) diet with vegetarian food products can be a hit or miss.

You’ve got to be brave enough to risk your meal possibly tasting like cardboard or regret… Luckily, a beloved vegetarian chef from TikTok is here to save the day – and your tastebuds!

Shreya, who is behind the blog Shreya’s Kitchen, accumulated 1.1 million followers on TikTok for her genius vegetarian recipes. While a couple of her recipes make no attempt to imitate meat, like her Veggie Dumplings, her recipes that do, can fool even the most passionate meat-lovers at first glance.

“Ultimately, I just want to say I am not here to convince or guilt anyone into not eating meat!” she wrote in an Instagram post. “I’m just here providing some cool options for whoever has use for them!”

In a recent video, she compiled some of her favourite
vegetarian recipes and oh boy, get ready to have your minds blown!

D6lpCQ-oGcLD179LUDawLl0RtP7gD-XoW6WuhbQ1B3VFg3Y0b6onyLlL2mTR5mOlVZMjJyaWRQH92VnTU3PSZeUUs7s8ngy8vUqT98mgBP5fTBmXPxexMIO4AV6eLwS3HQdQBz7j

1. Buffalo ‘Chicken Wings’ made with Cauliflower

Okay, maybe we shouldn’t refer to them as chicken… but hey, who doesn’t love a good ol’ plate of Chicken Wings? We definitely do. Now, you have an option to indulge in this delicious, savoury dish that’s meat-free.

Shreya starts by breaking apart a whole head of cauliflower into small florets. She batters them in a mixture of flour, spices, and unsweetened milk and then pops them in an air fryer.

After leaving them to cook for a while, she adds a homemade sauce that’s made from hot sauce and melted butter then tosses them back in the air fryer.

Easy as one, two, and three!

“This looks so good omg!” one user praised.

JqsO23OiNn0YAWmKj8vWXeWEiHl6si-3cnRuCNhr0cppa87FOLZWSKxOxSYKpZW47hZKuCd_GG7j8S4GrXYRYkH5xryGMCauUPmV7LNMNFVzgvekRYWutrL6CBtSN-tLG03eaOuu

2. Crispy fried ‘chicken’ made with oyster mushrooms

This isn’t the first time we’ve heard of mushrooms being used as a meat substitute. The umami flavour they have is irresistible! Oh, and they turn out looking like the real deal too.

“Oyster mushrooms truly do have a “meat-like” texture that is fantastic if you are craving a meaty texture but want something plant-based.” Shreya said.

“Or even if you aren’t on a plant-based diet, this is just simply delicious for what it is, and I’m sure you’re going to love it!”

She began by dipping the mushrooms in a wet batter made with spices, flour, and water. Then, the mushrooms are dipped this time, in a dry batter that consists of flour, breadcrumbs, and more spices.

Each piece is fried with utmost tender, love, and care to then be served on a plate alongside a dipping sauce of your choice.

3. ‘Calamari’ made with king oyster mushrooms

Yes, mushrooms are on a roll today! Who knew they could be so versatile? To create her calamari, which is usually made with squid, Shreya opts for king oyster mushrooms because it successfully replicates the taste and texture of seafood.

“The reason I'm obsessed with using king oyster mushrooms as a meat substitute is because you can manipulate the texture of these to imitate either chicken or seafood.” she explained.

The vegetarian chef kicked things off by slicing pieces of mushroom into rings. To do this, she simply cuts a hole in the centre, making it look more identical to regular calamari rings.

Next, she dips the mushroom rings into a batter before coating them in a mixture of flour, breadcrumbs, and spices so they can be deep-fried.

Once they were all good to go, the ‘calamari’ rings are served with a tartar dipping sauce and freshly squeezed lemon juice. Yum!

4. Birria ‘goat meat’ tacos made with mushrooms

If you’re unfamiliar with Birria, it’s a Mexican stew that’s typically made with goat meat. However, Shreya creates her taco ‘meat’ with mushrooms and broth.

“I never knew I could crave something I’ve never even eaten before I saw Birria tacos. After seeing these all over my feed I knew I had to make a plant-based version so I could finally try them.”

wIOSiB2J6KVPzE2wTCeUVBISE0kETmJHvLeaOjsuOI1DEzpzqI80WVNfYWd42NkBtWUI2ZN5iz0wMVdYa2L-Pqy9sVA5c7Il-wRdDFhWnnNUsRCrJLIeNhVyPlvRm2uAsUKM5o5J

She makes the tacos with various spices, tomatoes, and pre-made veggie broth. Then, she tops it all off with cheese, cilantro, yellow onions, and lime juice.

5. Hot ‘chicken’ tenders made with pearl oyster mushrooms

After stumbling on a Tiktok video about a recipe for Nashville hot chicken tenders, Shreya knew she couldn’t pass up on the opportunity to create a vegetarian version of the dish.

“I have never felt sadder to be vegetarian than when I saw these on my TikTok feed.” she joked. “So I knew I had to make a meatless version.”

She whips up her own version by combining two batters - one wet and the other dry. She dips a full head of pearl oyster mushrooms into the wet mix and coats the battered mushrooms into the dry one which consists of panko breadcrumbs and several other spices.

She advised users to make sure to pack it on so that the mushrooms clump together to look like one big piece of chicken tender.

After battering the mushrooms, she tosses them in a deep fryer until they turn golden brown, before coating them in a Nashville hot sauce.

6. Paneer-stuffed aloo Tikki burger made with potatoes

Not all plant-based burgers are on the same level! Shreya explained that this recipe isn’t supposed to imitate real meat, and so she used potatoes and a type of Indian cheese called paneer.

JxHY-IP7MsXhCHmNtUq3V9hFjqcpIFzSoKsmYHqiBTYfUfhXdVA-GYM5hwpjgvZHgYumj8N3Z5bo-3pAS4lGy9FjpjJ63pT-0rNQTcK8YfBuMbZ68VCCKBtkVvsOd4NV6VbKBGEz

Simply boil and then mash the potatoes to easily incorporate the spices and then mould them into burger patties. She proceeds by adding a cheese and paneer blend in between two burger patties before popping them all in an air fryer.

Just like that, you’ve got yourself a scrumptious, meat-free burger!

7. ‘Bacon’ made with tofu

Last but not the least, Shreya tried out Gordon Ramsay’s vegan bacon recipe in a TikTok video. It’s made with pieces of smashed tofu that are flattened between rice paper strips, then marinated in a combination of soy sauce, spices, and maple syrup.

Doesn’t that sound incredibly appetising?

The possibilities are truly endless when it comes to cooking. Got some tried-and-tested vegetarian recipes? Share it with us in the comments below!

Want to see Shreya’s full TikTok video? Watch it below!

Why do they not call it what it is cauliflower wings not chicken wings. No chicken means false advertising

Reactions: Julia TH and Ricci
This Woke chef obviously doesn't like calling things for what they are. They must be neither he nor she so must be an it. Therefore in my book they must be either a he-it or a she-it. Take your pick?

• Haha
Reactions: Ricci
And this stuff is more healthy?????
What a load of crap....... the creativity is worthy of a big tick, HOWEVER, the amount of sauces and condiments used in every dish shown here must make them waisteline expanders.....
I'll always stick with my MEAT and remain fit and healthy.
I've eaten meat, fish and chicken aplenty all my life, and at 67 years of age, am still healthy, fit and active. The key is to always generate more output than input and be active whenever possible.

RANT OVER..... now for a cold beer or nice red wine to compliment the lamb leg roast.....

Reactions: Ricci and Hieme