Urgent warning issued for Bali-bound Aussies

As the allure of Bali's pristine beaches and vibrant culture continues to draw Australian travellers, the Australian Government has issued an urgent warning that casts a shadow over the idyllic Indonesian destination.

This comes as the country gears up for its high-stakes general election.

Smartraveller, the government's official travel advisory service, updated its advice for the region on Monday, citing 'frequent political rallies and possible protests' as a likely occurrence in the lead-up to the election.

The advisory service urged travellers to be prepared for traffic delays and restricted access to certain locations if protests occur.

SDC 3.png
The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, through Smarttraveller, has issued a warning for travellers planning to visit Indonesia. Image source: Smarttraveller.

'Avoid protests and demonstrations and monitor local media for the latest updates,' Smartraveller advised.

'Exercise a high degree of caution in Indonesia overall due to security risks.'

The general election, scheduled for February 14, is a significant event in Indonesia, with over 200 million Indonesians expected to cast their votes for their next president.

This period of political transition can often be a time of heightened tension and unrest, which can potentially impact the safety of tourists.

Travellers are advised to remain alert for possible threats, particularly in popular tourist areas which may be targeted for terrorist attacks.

Smartraveller has also advised Australians to reconsider travel to the provinces of Papua, Indonesia due to ongoing separatist activity.

'There's been tension, including demonstrations and violence, in certain towns in the provinces of Papua, Papua Pegunungan, Papua Tengah and Papua Selatan in recent years,' the warning read.

'Armed groups have stated that they're targeting foreigners, including Australians.'

Indonesia, particularly Bali, continues to be a top tourist destination for millions of Australians each year.

The allure of its beautiful beaches, vibrant culture, and affordable luxury has made it a favourite among holidaymakers.

In 2023, it was the number one travel spot for Australians, according to data from Expedia.

‘Bali has always been a favourite holiday destination for Aussies, and our data consistently supports this, with Bali coming in as the top destination for Aussies travellers throughout the year,' Expedia Australia Managing Director Daniel Finch said.

‘The strength of the Aussie dollar is a heavy load on the total cost of trips, and these closer-to-home Asian destinations are providing good value for money, particularly with food, beverages and accommodation costs, which are significantly cheaper when looking to convert the Aussie dollar.’

You can read more about this story here.
Key Takeaways
  • The Australian Government has issued an urgent warning to travellers heading to Indonesia through its advisory service, Smartraveller.
  • Increased political rallies, possible protests, and potential traffic delays are anticipated ahead of Indonesia's general election on February 14.
  • Travellers are advised to exercise a high degree of caution due to possible threats, especially in popular tourist areas that could be targets for terrorist attacks.
  • Australians are also advised to reconsider travel to certain provinces in Papua where there is ongoing separatist activity and where armed groups have targeted foreigners.
Have you ever been affected by a travel safety advisory before? If ever you’re headed to Bali anytime soon, are you reconsidering your plans? Tell us in the comments below.

• Wow
Reactions: Petra
Sponsored
Thanks but no thanks to Bali or any of those places. If I ever can afford to travel, I will go to Norfolk Island. I have been dreaming about this paradise for as long as I can remember. I also wish I had the $'s to go and stay there forever. I am totally in love with NORFOLK ISLAND.

There is also the spectacular, beautiful LORD HOWE ISLAND !
Why bother to go to "those" countries, when you can travel to the most beautiful offshore country in the World ! still AUSTRALIA ♥

1707255725317.png

Thanks but no thanks to Bali or any of those places. If I ever can afford to travel, I will go to Norfolk Island. I have been dreaming about this paradise for as long as I can remember. I also wish I had the $'s to go and stay there forever. I am totally in love with NORFOLK ISLAND.

There is also the spectacular, beautiful LORD HOWE ISLAND !
Why bother to go to "those" countries, when you can travel to the most beautiful offshore country in the World ! still AUSTRALIA ♥

View attachment 40685
Hi Petra, I have been to Norfolk Island in 2019 for a week and would dearly love to go back for a longer stay. I have a connection to the island as my late husband was descended from one of the Bpunty mutineers, John Adams and my children are 7th generation descendants. Study the history before you go (there are 5 museums on the island). And look at all the attractions, you will need 2-3 weeks at least to cover most of them. An amazing place to visit. Hope you win lotto (me too) and get to fulfill your dream. Love from Margaret.

Yes, I agree with you. You are STILL in Australia by going to Lord Howe Island and Norfolk Island. Wonderful places.
But so expensive
It’s nice to experience different cultures though.😊
Yes,I have been going to Bali for years. I love the Balinese people, the food (so cheap) I always stay at the same place. Get a beautiful bungalow, freestanding stone bath, our own front verandah in beautiful tropical gardens, restaurant on the premises, room or by the pool meals or drinks.
My girlfriend and I went last year for eight days, cost $485 accommodation for the two of us and we spent about $20/day each for food, full American breakfast was included in the price.
It is nearly always the people who have never been there that knock it.

Reactions: Littleboy8
But so expensive

Yes,I have been going to Bali for years. I love the Balinese people, the food (so cheap) I always stay at the same place. Get a beautiful bungalow, freestanding stone bath, our own front verandah in beautiful tropical gardens, restaurant on the premises, room or by the pool meals or drinks.
My girlfriend and I went last year for eight days, cost $485 accommodation for the two of us and we spent about $20/day each for food, full American breakfast was included in the price.
It is nearly always the people who have never been there that knock it.
I haven’t been to Bali in about 30 years I used to love it the people,food,culture,weather and so cheap. It was my first overseas trip as a 21 year old it certainly was an eye opener especially being strip searched coming home because we looked like hippy surfy druggies🤣now I can’t afford to go anywhere unfortunately but I can dream on.😍

Last edited: