Urgent recall: Seafood product pulled from Coles shelves over dangerous label error

Eating spoiled or contaminated seafood can lead to some very unpleasant consequences.

Supermarket giant Coles has pulled 12-packs of Sydney City Oysters from shelves in NSW and the ACT due to a potentially dangerous labelling error.

Some packs were incorrectly labelled with a use-by date of November 30 when they should have read November 10. Consuming oysters past their use-by dates can pose serious health risks, including gastrointestinal illness.

Coles is urging all customers who purchased the oysters between November 4 and November 8 not to eat them if still in possession past November 10.

Instead, return them to any Coles store for a full refund or contact Coles Customer Care on 1800 061 562 for more information.

Screenshot 2023-11-10 at 8.52.56 AM.png
The recall is due to an incorrect use-by date. The product was incorrectly labelled with a Use By date of 30 November 2023 instead of 10 November 2023. Credit: FSANZ.

Eating raw oysters is a popular trend, with raw oyster bars becoming a common sight in trendy restaurants.

However, it's important to be aware of the risks associated with consuming raw or undercooked seafood, as it can lead to infections like vibriosis caused by certain Vibrio bacteria.

These bacteria naturally reside in the coastal waters where oysters live. Since oysters filter water for food, bacteria can accumulate in their tissues. When people eat raw or undercooked oysters, they risk ingesting viruses or bacteria that could cause illness.

While most Vibrio infections from oysters result in diarrhoea and vomiting, some, like those caused by Vibrio vulnificus, can lead to more severe conditions such as bloodstream infections and severe skin lesions with blistering.

Bacteria and viruses in raw oysters may not change how they look, smell, or taste and eating raw oysters can make you sick or even lead to serious consequences.

It's important, especially for those with weaker immune systems, to avoid raw oysters and choose the cooked ones instead.

Note that hot sauce, lemon juice, and alcohol won't eliminate Vibrio bacteria, so cooking is crucial for safety.

Key Takeaways

• A seafood product has been removed from Coles shelves in NSW and ACT due to health risks.
  • Some stock of Sydney City Oysters' 12-pack of Pacific Oysters have been recalled due to an incorrect use-by-date.
  • If consumed after November 10, the incorrectly labelled product could cause illness.
  • Coles has urged customers not to consume the product and to return them for a full refund.

You read it here, members! Check your freezers to see if you've recently bought the affected products.

As always, we at the SDC recommend always being aware and vigilant when it comes to the foods you're consuming. Doing your own research and reading the labels can help you make informed and safe choices for you and your family.

We hope you found this article helpful! If you have any more questions or tips to share about food recalls, then please let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
Got sick on Sydney oysters once and so did many other Melburnians the same day....the six o'clock news reported that a batch of Sydney oysters had experienced a flow of Council waste water from upstream over some of the oyster beds. Honestly I have never been so sick in my life, took four days to get over the throw ups and the shits....all day and night. Have never touched oysters since and that was 45 years ago. 😂😝😵😏

Got sick on Sydney oysters once and so did many other Melburnians the same day....the six o'clock news reported that a batch of Sydney oysters had experienced a flow of Council waste water from upstream over some of the oyster beds. Honestly I have never been so sick in my life, took four days to get over the throw ups and the shits....all day and night. Have never touched oysters since and that was 45 years ago. 😂😝😵😏
Like me and cucumbers.

Reactions: Littleboy8
Yuk how awful🙀