Urgent recall: Popular brand pulls frozen pizzas from shelves due to safety risk

If you're a fan of frozen pizzas, you'll want to take note of the latest food safety alert. A popular brand has issued an urgent recall for some of its products due to potential health risks.

It's crucial to check your freezers and stay informed to ensure your family's safety.

Read on to find out what you need to know and what steps to take if you have these products at home.

McCain Foods, a household name in frozen foods, issued a recall for two of its popular frozen pizza flavours due to a potential safety risk that could have serious implications for consumers.

The recall, which has been widely publicised by Food Standards Australia and New Zealand, is specifically for the 500g McCain BBQ Chicken and Pineapple Family Pizza with the best-before date of April 2024 (097 and 098) and the 500g McCain Ham and Pineapple Family Pizza with the best-before date of April 2025 (097).

The reason for this recall is particularly concerning: the discovery of metal fragments in the products.

McCain Foods - Family Pizzas.png
McCain has urgently recalled two frozen pizza flavours due to metal fragments found in the products. Credit: FSANZ

‘Food products containing metal may cause illness/injury if consumed,’ the recall cautioned.

‘Consumers should not eat these products. Consumers should return the products to the place of purchase for a full refund.’

The presence of metal in food products is not just a minor inconvenience; it poses a real risk of injury or illness if consumed.

Such foreign objects can harm teeth and gums and potentially lead to more severe internal injuries if swallowed.

It's a situation that no consumer should ever have to face, especially when reaching for something as seemingly innocuous as a frozen pizza.

These popular frozen pizzas are sold at major supermarkets across Australia, including Woolworths, Coles, IGA, and ALDI.

This wide distribution means that many households could potentially be affected by this recall.

It's a stark reminder of the importance of staying informed about the products we buy and consume and the need for vigilance, even with trusted brands.

For more details regarding the recall, consumers can contact McCain Foods (Aust) Pty Ltd by calling 1800 000 422 or visiting their website at www.mccain.com.au.
Key Takeaways
  • McCain issued an urgent recall for two of its frozen pizza flavours.
  • The recall is due to the presence of metal pieces found in the products, posing a potential health risk.
  • Affected products are the 500g McCain BBQ Chicken and Pineapple Family Pizza and the 500g McCain Ham and Pineapple Family Pizza with specific best-before dates.
  • Consumers were advised not to eat the recalled pizzas and to return them to the place of purchase for a full refund.
Have you ever experienced a product recall before? How did you handle it, and what advice would you give others in a similar situation? Share your stories and tips in the comments below.

Sponsored
Avoid all fast foods and cook your own from fresh ingredients wherever possible. The amount of preservatives (numbers) in these products is astounding and need to be avoided…not to mention the possibility of contamination, or finding foreign objects inside these Pizza’s as in this case…this would do serious damage if swallowed or just bitten down on..

Reactions: IAN3005
How do you prove where you bought them from? IGA is named. Is Foodland IGA involved too??
Foodland IGA is a different group to IGA Supermarkets and they don't all stock the same products.
Can that be clarified please??

already done so........ the world is becoming careless these days not doing there checks ...
first the planes ...then the lithium battery's in cars ...then the lithium battery's on mobile phones and scooters
what's Next ...?

How do you prove where you bought them from? IGA is named. Is Foodland IGA involved too??
Foodland IGA is a different group to IGA Supermarkets and they don't all stock the same products.
Can that be clarified please??
when there a Australia wide recall it shouldn't matter where you have purchased them you should get the refund back from who ever.....unless they ask for a receipt ... but that shouldn't matter either ....

McCain pizzas containing metal recalled from Coles, Woolworths, IGA and Aldi nationally​

They were also sold at Coles and Aldi stores in NSW, ACT, QLD, VIC, SA, NT and WA, and at Drakes stores in QLD and SA.

Two pizza flavours from McCain are being recalled from supermarkets in Australia due to metal being discovered in the products.
Food Standards Australia and New Zealand issued the alert about the recall and are warning consumers to not eat them.

The affected flavours are the 500g McCain BBQ chicken and pineapple family pizza with the best-before date of April 2024 (097 and 098) and the 500g McCain ham and pineapple family pizza with the best-before date of April 2025 (097).

I was the victim of a pantry Indian meal, boil in the bag, which when opened released a strong chemical smell that caused me to cough and irritated my lungs.

I phoned Coles Supermarket in Katoomba, where I purchased the product, to warn them about the offensive chemical odour emitted from the bag, only to be told that has nothing to do with them!

I rang the local police, who said they couldn't do anything! I was told to ring the manufacturer and/or importer or distributer!

So, I rang the importer/distributor and spoke with a lovely young woman, she offered a replacement...I politely declined!

I sent the product to the company, bizarrely the package came back!

The parcel was theirs, prepaid, and I kept the meal package in the freezer till I posted it to them.

For it to be returned as undeliverable was obviously a tactic by someone in the company trying to avoid admitting its existence.

So why not just throw it out?

So, I have never bought any of their Indian prepared long life shelf products again!

What I want to know is, why isn't there a government entity you may complain to, regarding food stuffs contaminated with chemicals, to have a ban or recall issued publicly?

• Sad
Reactions: Veggiepatch
I was the victim of a pantry Indian meal, boil in the bag, which when opened released a strong chemical smell that caused me to cough and irritated my lungs.

I phoned Coles Supermarket in Katoomba, where I purchased the product, to warn them about the offensive chemical odour emitted from the bag, only to be told that has nothing to do with them!

I rang the local police, who said they couldn't do anything! I was told to ring the manufacturer and/or importer or distributer!

So, I rang the importer/distributor and spoke with a lovely young woman, she offered a replacement...I politely declined!

I sent the product to the company, bizarrely the package came back!

The parcel was theirs, prepaid, and I kept the meal package in the freezer till I posted it to them.

For it to be returned as undeliverable was obviously a tactic by someone in the company trying to avoid admitting its existence.

So why not just throw it out?

So, I have never bought any of their Indian prepared long life shelf products again!

What I want to know is, why isn't there a government entity you may complain to, regarding food stuffs contaminated with chemicals, to have a ban or recall issued publicly?
Maybe your first port of call should be the Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ) or your state's food regulatory agency through the FSANZ's website.