Upgrading your kitchen? Here's how to do it on a budget according to a home renovation expert

When it comes to adding value to your home, one of the best places to start is your kitchen.

However, the average kitchen renovation in Australia can cost between $25,000 and $50,000 — not a small price tag by anyone’s standards.

Fortunately, home renovation expert and TV host Cherie Barber recently shared her top tips to help Australians renovate their kitchens on a budget, and some of these tips won’t take more than a weekend’s worth of work!

Give your kitchen a ‘cosmetic refresh’

pexels-photo-5915184.jpg
Give your kitchen an aesthetic boost with some paint and good old-fashioned elbow grease. Stock Image Credit: Pexels/Kalia Chan

Cherie says that one of the best ways to update your kitchen is to give it a makeover with a weekend’s worth of work and some paint (which according to Cherie is ‘liquid gold’ for adding value to a kitchen).

'If your kitchen is in sound shape, with no rotted carcasses or cracked splashback tiles, then one trip to your local hardware store and a weekend's worth of elbow grease could be all you need for a complete overhaul,’ Cherie said.

‘With this kind of cosmetic refresh, your kitchen tiles, benchtop and cupboard fronts can all be painted in fresh, modern colours.’

Now, if you’re thinking about what colours to do this first tip with, the kitchen colour trends for 2023 are said to be ‘all about muted colours’ like sage green, soft terracotta, and other similar shades that pair well with ‘earthy and organic textures’, according to Envision Kitchens.

This pairs well with advice from Cherie, who recommends pale colours in the kitchen as ‘they instantly make a small space seem bigger’.

That said, you should consider the overall look your house has as no one wants an out-of-place kitchen, no matter how visually appealing.

Go for a kitchen cabinet upgrade!

ezgif.com-gif-maker (9).png
Giving your kitchen cabinets an upgrade is costlier compared to a new paint job, but still way less than a complete renovation. Stock Image Credit: Pexels/Rachel Claire

If you want more than a cosmetic refresh, one of the ways you can spruce up your kitchen is by updating the cabinetry. While this will take a bit more money and time than simply painting your cabinets, it can be relatively cost-effective and make a huge impact to the kitchen’s overall appearance.

‘A great middle of the road option is to update your cabinetry with new cabinet fronts,’ Cherie said.

‘This is a great way to save a heap of money, getting the look of a brand-new kitchen without gutting the entire room.’

‘You simply keep all of your existing carcasses (provided they are still in good shape) and re-skin your kitchen with new cabinetry.’

For this tip, Cherie recommends companies that can manufacture and install new door and drawer fronts and end panels in modern materials and colours, giving the feel of a brand-new kitchen with a less expensive price tag.

If you can afford to, updating the benchtops, splashbacks, and appliances will further give the illusion of a brand-new kitchen, and much of this equipment can be picked up for a lower cost if you shop around.

Don’t go overboard with the appliances and kitchen odds and ends though, as another of Cherie’s styling tips is to avoid any kind of clutter to make the kitchen more sleek and streamlined.

ezgif.com-gif-maker (10).png
Cherie advises against having too many appliances in the kitchen as it can contribute to clutter. Stock Image Credit: Pexels/Jean van der Meulen

Other handy reminders from Cherie include:
  • Considering kitchen lighting as it can ‘make or break’ a kitchen. One way to improve lighting is to change splashbacks to be more glossy, if applicable, as this helps distribute light around the kitchen.
  • Get smaller appliances if you can as they ‘will always look better’ in a kitchen.
  • You don’t always have to get the big brand names when it comes to appliances — buy in bulk when possible and save money!
  • Another cheap way to up the value of your kitchen is to resurface benchtops

Finally, Cherie suggests trying to project manage your kitchen reno project if you want a striking and cost-effective result. This involves breaking down the different jobs and picking the right tradies to do them, which can be time consuming — but it’s worth it in the end.

‘Having done well over 50 kitchens throughout my renovation career, I know there’s more to know with most kitchen renovations than people realise,’ Cherie said.

‘Failing to design your kitchen well and not planning properly right up front is a fast way to unplanned hiccups and costs spiralling out of control.’

A proper plan and timeline for each stage of the renovation needs to be set up from the outset. Doing research to learn the different steps in the process is essential, from design to installation and the choosing of materials. Establishing a realistic time frame and budget are aspects that all should be considered beforehand.

By following these strategies, your kitchen renovation can be a smooth, successful process that adds value — and more enjoyable cooking experiences — to your home!

pexels-photo-3183186.jpg
Taking time to think things through before spending money on home renovations will save you from a lot of problems further on. Stock Image Credit: Pexels/fauxels

Speaking of enjoyable experiences, keeping things neat and tidy in the kitchen is a prerequisite. Here’s an article on the five areas you need to keep your eye on weekly to avoid icky germs!

You might also want to check out how one Aussie mum used a Kmart item —- and spent just $116 — to give her kitchen an amazing facelift!

Source: YouTube/Renovating For Profit

So, what are your thoughts on Cherie’s tips? Have you had some work done on your kitchen? How did it go?

Tell us in the comments section below!

Sponsored
We have just finished a bathroom reno and painted upstairs family room .

I'm looking at a kitchen reno in a couple of months. My cupboards are in great condition so I will get the doors professionally painted they are currently Tasmania oak and I'm going to go with white.
I'm going to get my island bench removed to open up my kitchen and add a breakfast bench to divide my kitchen and dining room

Screenshot_20230116-091448_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230116-091542_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230116-091706_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230116-091626_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
After many years of house flipping, one suggestion I have if you wish to upgrade your bench tops at minimal cost, you can purchase a stick on product from Vinyl Home NZ in many different colours,marble effect, terrazzo etc. This product is like a high grade "contact" like used to cover school books, only much thicker. You don't need any special talent, just patience.
I would never recommend painting benchtops,even with sealer they nearly always scratch and chip.

Reactions: Jarred Santos
I love the idea of giving the kitchen a 'cosmetic refresh' with some paint. It's amazing how much of a difference a new coat of paint can make. And those color trends for 2023-24 sound really soothing and stylish.
Updating the cabinetry with new fronts is another fantastic idea. It's a more involved process than painting, but it can completely transform the look of the kitchen without breaking the bank.
I recently renovated my house, including replacing windows and doors, and I found some really beautiful bespoke front doors at https://joineryforallseasons.co.uk/front-entrance-doors/front-doors-in-mayfair/. They have a great selection that could add a lot of character to a home.

Last edited:
We have just finished a bathroom reno and painted upstairs family room .

I'm looking at a kitchen reno in a couple of months. My cupboards are in great condition so I will get the doors professionally painted they are currently Tasmania oak and I'm going to go with white.
I'm going to get my island bench removed to open up my kitchen and add a breakfast bench to divide my kitchen and dining room

View attachment 11704View attachment 11705View attachment 11707View attachment 11706
Six weeks until my kitchen renovation but have decided to rip out my kitchen and put in a new one
I hope the reno went/is going/will go over well! You have a wonderful place too, Suzanne :D

Reactions: Suzanne rose