Upgrade your table to a luxe marble look --- without spending a fortune!

We often hear people praise the convenience of having the latest and greatest furnishings in their homes.

But, let's be honest — with prices sometimes reaching into the thousands, these 'latest and greatest' pieces of furniture can be difficult to acquire, even for those of us with deeper pockets.

Fortunately, there is a middle ground. A space where existing furniture can be updated to achieve a luxe, modern look without breaking the bank.

Recently, a TikTok user uncovered a nifty DIY hack for transforming a plain IKEA LACK side table into a beautiful marble table.

For a total cost of around $35, Shayna Alnwick was able to create a designer replica piece that looks like a table that retails for hundreds or even thousands of dollars!

The secret formula? Breeze through to your nearest IKEA (or order online!), pick up a LACK side table ($20), some marble contact paper, MDF sheets, silicone and brad nails.

If, like us, you’d never heard of ‘brad nails’ before — they’re formed from a fine, 18-gauge wire, so they are smaller in diameter than finish nails and typically have less holding strength. You can find them at Bunnings or any other hardware store.

‘I turned this IKEA LACK table into an expensive marble dupe,’ Ashley proudly began in her post.

ezgif.com-gif-maker (8).png
Ashley transformed a rather plain-looking table into a luxe faux marble piece. Image Credit: IKEA

She first went to work by attaching the marble contact paper to square-shaped MDF sheets.

‘I wrapped the top of the table, then used some glue and some brad nails to secure [the sheets],’ Ashley said.

She then repeated the same steps to cover the four sides of the table, before sealing the edges with silicone.

‘This is the final result!’ she exclaimed, as what looked like a marble slab right out of a furniture store catalogue flashed on screen.

‘It was so easy, it cost less than [$35],’ she said.

The video demonstrating this hack drew a decent response from followers, with many praising the classy DIY feat.

‘I have three of these tables that I wanted to throw out,’ a user shared. ‘But not after seeing this.’

Another added: ‘I’m going to do the same.’

One user even added a tip of her own to preserve the finish on the marble contact paper.

‘Make sure you use coasters. Those patterns disappear easily especially if there’s moisture,’ they said.

Screenshot_6.png
Shayna attached the marble contact paper to the MDF sheets. Screengrab Credit: TikTok/@shaynaalnwick

It's a brilliant idea for anyone who admires the marble/marbled looks but prefers not to dip too deeply into their savings account. Plus, it's relatively easy to complete and doesn't take too long — considering you have the supplies required.

If you'd like to give it a go yourself, MDF sheets and marble adhesive film can be found at Bunnings.

Well, since we’re talking about home designs, have you been wondering what Aussies will be going for this year in terms of dressing up their humble abodes?

Harper’s Bazaar foresees a return to the nostalgic for many Australians, seemingly ushering in the end of the minimalist, no-frills, mostly monochromatic look that was quite the rage for 2022.

For 2023, it is said that many will go back to the personal roots of home and feature more expressive and bold designs such as those that incorporate the outdoors (biophilic design, e.g. plants inside and nature-themed looks) or give Aussies the holiday feels at home (such as taking inspiration from the Mediterranean).

There’s also a push towards museum-esque features that marry hard lines and soft curves at home, as well as the comebacking mid-century look that brings back memories of the 50s all the way to the 70s to the 2020s.

Screenshot_7.png
Would you believe that this was once a four-legged table at first glance? Screengrab Credit: TikTok/@shaynaalnwick

Interiors Online also sees a push for sustainability making a big wave in 2023 which has more eco-friendly pieces making their way into Aussie homes.

Homes to Love perhaps encapsulates the visual peg for this year best in one word: Fun.

Alice Benn of Alwill Interiors said: ‘Our prediction for 2023, is that we are entering an era of fun… Think eclecticism, fantasy, colour and pattern mash-ups.’

‘Perhaps it's a rebellion against the dull few years we've had. I'm absolutely here for it.’

We don’t know if pandemics can be considered dull, Alice… Kidding!

Bear in mind though that these forecasts aren’t really set in stone — what’s important is for your home to be one you can feel most at ease in, no matter the bells and whistles that go with it.

Speaking of furniture, you might be interested to read more about related stories we have:
So, what do you think about Ashley’s fine-looking ‘marble’ table hack?

Share us in the comments section below!

Source: TikTok/@shaynaalnwick

Reactions: Sue W and Ricci
Sponsored
I hate things covered in contact.

Reminds me if the 70s when we , including myself covered kitchen benches with contact

It looks so tacky. OK great for those who can't afford it but if you really need it look on Facebook market place or ebay.

My daughter purchased a dining table with a heavy marble top with 6 chairs fir $150 she got a matching coffee table for $30 and from another seller she also got a matching hall table for $25.

Reactions: Gaena and Ricci