Upcoming 3G network shutdown raises concerns for elderly reliant on medical alarms

As we navigate the ever-evolving landscape of technology, it's crucial to stay informed about changes that could impact our daily lives—especially when it comes to our health and safety.

This is especially important for our senior community as we face a major technological transition: the shutdown of the 3G network in Australia.

This change affects more than just mobile phones; it has significant implications for individuals relying on 3G personal medical alarms.

With the 3G network set to be turned off at the end of August, tens of thousands of elderly may be left vulnerable, as many are still using medical alarms that rely on this soon-to-be-obsolete technology.

These devices are lifelines, monitoring for sudden movements such as falls and alerting emergency contacts. But once the 3G network is gone, these alarms will become ineffective.

unnamed (2).png
Telstra and Optus are in the process of shutting down their 3G networks. Credit: Pexels

The situation is alarming, and companies like CareAlert SmartDialler are scrambling to reach out to customers with older models to warn them of the impending risk.

‘We’re using a lot of resources at the moment trying to contact these people, but it’s not easy,’ Darren Steele from CareAlert said.

‘We’re trying everything to reach out to these people—emailing, SMSing, sending letters, trying to ring, but you’re dealing with the elderly, and they just don’t get it,’ he added.

Mr Steele added: ‘Just our business alone, we would have probably 3000 3G units out there at the moment that are going to stop working,’

CareAlert is one of around 10 prominent providers of medical alarm systems in Australia, and Mr Steele indicated that other companies were encountering similar issues.

‘You’re looking at 30,000 to 40,000 people that would still have a 3G alarm,’ he said, making a rough calculation.

‘They’re not tech-savvy enough to understand what 3G is and what 4G is.’

Mr Steele noted that his company initiated efforts to reach out to customers for upgrading to 4G last year.

‘We’ve recently ramped it up now because we’re not getting the response that we really want,’ he said.

The transition to 4G for CareAlert has completed approximately 1000 upgrades thus far.

Mr Steele claimed that even when customers are contacted, many struggle to afford the $399 cost.

‘Their unit’s working at the moment, “I’m not going to spend money to upgrade.” If they’re on the pension, they may not have money to upgrade,’ Steele explained.

‘Some of the responses are, “I can’t afford this; I don’t have access to government funding to be able to do it, so I don’t know what I’m going to do.”’

‘We are upgrading a lot where people do have access to government funding through My Aged Care; we’re doing a lot of that through the providers,’ Mr Steel continued.

Meanwhile, a spokesperson for another medical alarm provider, preferring not to disclose the company's name, stated that they have few or no 3G units on the market and have made preparations for the network switch-off.

Despite the differing perspectives, Steele affirmed that the situation presents a significant risk.

He estimated that CareAlert, offering both monitored and unmonitored devices, would experience around 540 activations combined each month.

unnamed (3).png
Darren Steele from CareAlert mentioned the challenges of contacting elderly customers. Credit: iStock

'Basically, what it means is that the day they flip that switch [to turn off the 3G network], a medical alarm will not be able to make a call out at all, not even to triple-zero, nothing,’ Mr Steel said.

‘If you’ve got an elderly person that relies on one of these alarms, then suddenly it stops working, and they have a fall; they could be lying on the ground.’

‘They can’t get to their phone, they might be pushing their button on their alert system, and it will just not go anywhere. It’s a pretty major problem. It’s life-threatening, really,’ he added.

He further mentioned that Optus, the 3G network utilised by his company, has been offering assistance.

It was reported that the telecom company does not maintain customer relationships or contact information for individuals who possess any 3G-enabled devices.

However, Optus has communicated with medical alert providers regarding the impact on their services, urging them to directly reach out to the customers.

On the other hand, a Telstra spokesman explained there was a 'wide range of equipment in use across Australia that uses mobile technology and is sold or provided directly by third parties to their customers'.

'In relation to healthcare and emergency response devices, the vast majority of them are not able to be identified by mobile service providers as being personal medical alarms as they often share the same radio module technology as EFTPOS machines, telematics, security, or tracking devices,' he continued.

‘Since Telstra announced in 2019 that we will be closing our 3G network, we have worked closely with relevant industry organisations, manufacturers, and suppliers to ensure that they’re aware of the upcoming closure so they can let their communities and customers know if they have an impacted device.’ the Telstra spokesman said.

He also urged users of personal alarms to verify whether their devices rely on the 3G network by contacting their supplier or organisation.

Apart from numerous older mobile phones still in operation, countless other 3G devices— unnoticed in businesses, households, and farms—are at risk of suddenly becoming non-functional.

All three major Australian telcos made the industry-wide decision to shut down the 20-year-old 3G network, aiming to enhance capacity for newer networks.

Vodafone had already closed its 3G network in January.

Delays in the switch-off, like Telstra's recent extension to the end of August, aim to provide customers with more time to upgrade devices.

This move, while technologically progressive, comes with a hefty price tag for those needing to upgrade equipment—a cost that is particularly burdensome for seniors who are on a fixed income.

However, there is a positive aspect to this situation. Vodafone, Telstra, and Optus have valid reasons for completely phasing out 3G by the end of this year.

For our readers, it's crucial to act now. If you or a loved one relies on a personal medical alarm, or if you have any other device that may be affected by the 3G switch-off, please reach out to your supplier or service provider immediately to ensure continuity of service.

Don't wait until it's too late—take the necessary steps to protect your health and maintain peace of mind.
Key Takeaways
  • Tens of thousands of elderly may still be using 3G personal medical alarms which will stop working when the 3G network is shut down at the end of August.
  • CareAlert SmartDialler and other suppliers are struggling to contact users of these devices, many of whom may not be tech-savvy or able to afford the upgrade to newer 4G models.
  • The 3G network shutdown will affect not only personal medical alarms but also a range of other devices embedded in businesses and homes.
  • Telstra and Optus have been working to inform affected customers and the industry about the 3G switch-off, while communication from the government highlights that this is a commercial decision by the mobile operators to facilitate the deployment of better technology like 4G and 5G.
Members, do you have a medical alarm or other 3G devices? Have you upgraded them? Please share your experiences and insights below.

Sponsored
3G is not obsolete technology. It is being discontinued deliberately by Telstra , Vodaphone and Optus so that people can no longer use it. Presumably Telstra, Vodaphone and Optus see it profitable to enforce our buying of whatever system they want to sell to us.

SDC has indicated in another article that 375 000 users need to move to whatever system that Telstra imposes. If it costs $399 per user that is a total cost of $149 625 000, a mere 1/5th (20%) of the cost of Tasmania's planned taxpayer-purchased $750 000 000 AFL stadium.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: freedy50
So very complicated and no one even attempts to try to assist us. They forget we seniors are not capable of tech issues.
Don't bring all seniors into it. There's many that know what to do. My dad was 85. He knew all about his phone and done his online shopping himself. Anything he didn't know, he phoned to ask me.

And depending in what state you're in there's government help with digital stuff.

In NSW there's....

Reactions: Gsr
3G is not obsolete technology. It is being discontinued deliberately by Telstra , Vodaphone and Optus so that people can no longer use it. Presumably Telstra, Vodaphone and Optus see it profitable to enforce our buying of whatever system they want to sell to us.

SDC has indicated in another article that 375 000 users need to move to whatever system that Telstra imposes. If it costs $399 per user that is a total cost of $149 625 000, a mere 1/5th (20%) of the cost of Tasmania's planned taxpayer-purchased $750 000 000 AFL stadium.
Best to do some proper research.
Every phone company in the world will be shutting down 3G (old technology) between now and 2030.

Is it some conspiracy that all round the world the telco's will find it more profitable to sell their subscribers "whatever system they want to sell us"?😂

Best to do some proper research.
Every phone company in the world will be shutting down 3G (old technology) between now and 2030.

Is it some conspiracy that all round the world the telco's will find it more profitable to sell their subscribers "whatever system they want to sell us"?😂
What is so good about 4G and 5G that 3G lacks? OK, no "conspircy" but it is still a cumulative expensive switch for those who need/choose to use what so far has been supplied adequately by 3G. However, its sort of like the automotive industry bringing out new models of car ever year when it really is not necessary, or from the spares and repairs perspective, useful. H sapiens = mass crass stupidity.

Don't bring all seniors into it. There's many that know what to do. My dad was 85. He knew all about his phone and done his online shopping himself. Anything he didn't know, he phoned to ask me.

And depending in what state you're in there's government help with digital stuff.

In NSW there's....

There may be help from government departments in understanding technology but it seems some people are taking this wording of ‘seniors’ to be a personal thing. It is Information that SDC is providing to one and all as they cannot decide who knows what and who does not, who wants and who does not want a particular bit of info or news. Take it or leave it; it’s not for any of us to take personally as some are more savvy with technology than others, some do not want to change or cannot change because of cost, some do not have anyone to turn to or don’t know who to ask, be it a family member, a neighbour or a government department.

Let us all just read the news on SDC and take what we each want from this site. Nothing here is meant to be directed at any one person - younger or older in senior years. Some don’t even know to use or even have access to the internet finding it very difficult and often embarrassing imposing on others to ask for help. It’s about time none of us take the information personally; one day we might find the need to turn to someone else for help with something. I am 79, worked in an office until retiring at 60 then dumped my old phone and got a more updated one but occasionally still have to ask for help from my children with both my computer/internet and my phone. I also have to work with my home security provider to upgrade our system which is, unfortunately, going to cost us over $1000.

Reactions: Ellev and Gsr
Hubby’s phone is 3G, he only uses it occasionally or if he is going a long distance in the car by himself he takes it in case of emergency. We will upgrade it to a basic 4g model. As for the 3G medical alerts people have I feel it should be up th the companies who supplied them to each person to make sure they are notified they will no longer be useable and offer an alternative that will work. These companies would have details of everyone who has a 3G device. If the upgrades are too expensive for people on fixed incomes, then I hope the government will assist with the replacement costs via a one off payment to the affected people. it would be very unsatisfactory if any of these people had to no longer have the security of having the call device in case of emergencies. It could cost people their lives.

Thank you for this timely information. I have already contacted my work place and advised them of this article. I have placed it on my FB page for significant family members to check their love one's devices.
Cheers community nurse

I'm with Vodafone they've already cut it off. My son had bought me a mobile for Christmas which was 4G. So l thought l was all good. Low and behold all of a sudden l can't make or receive calls, can do everything else though. Turns out the phone didn't have Volte apparently. So I had to buy another new phone. Wasn't impressed.

There may be help from government departments in understanding technology but it seems some people are taking this wording of ‘seniors’ to be a personal thing. It is Information that SDC is providing to one and all as they cannot decide who knows what and who does not, who wants and who does not want a particular bit of info or news. Take it or leave it; it’s not for any of us to take personally as some are more savvy with technology than others, some do not want to change or cannot change because of cost, some do not have anyone to turn to or don’t know who to ask, be it a family member, a neighbour or a government department.

Let us all just read the news on SDC and take what we each want from this site. Nothing here is meant to be directed at any one person - younger or older in senior years. Some don’t even know to use or even have access to the internet finding it very difficult and often embarrassing imposing on others to ask for help. It’s about time none of us take the information personally; one day we might find the need to turn to someone else for help with something. I am 79, worked in an office until retiring at 60 then dumped my old phone and got a more updated one but occasionally still have to ask for help from my children with both my computer/internet and my phone. I also have to work with my home security provider to upgrade our system which is, unfortunately, going to cost us over $1000.
Lol when I ask my eldest who is in IT for help ,he just tells me to Google it. Such a great help

4G; next piece of built-in obsolescence. Just like Microsoft's operating systems. There was nothing wrong with XP. Gee, you're old, Grandad! In fact Win 98SE was ok, as was Win 95; and Win 3.11 when it was running 32 somethings of RAM with a 20gig hard-drive. But one had to partition the hard-drive and one couldn't use long file-names and no doubt the gamers couldn't see every twitching fibre in the hangman's rope in their assorted shoot 'em ups.

As for cars; my next car will have hydraulic disc brakes, or drum brakes, connected by hose to the master cylinder, a wire accelerator cable, hand-tunable carburettor, distributor, coil, HT leads and spark plugs, hand operated gear-change for a non-automatic gearbox and if an automatic no CVT gearbox, and also wind-up windows and if at all possible fan-belt and mechanical water- and fuel-pumps. I wonder if the modern mechanic will know how to fix it? However, I can.

I will need to join a vintage car-club for spares.

Last edited:
Anyone who has a Emergency Alert pendant, and if they have Home Help, their Provider SHOULD up grade their Alert Pendant.

Reactions: Rob44
Anyone who has a Emergency Alert pendant, and if they have Home Help, their Provider SHOULD up grade their Alert Pendant.
I agree with comments that a provider of an Alert Pendant more than likely has the name and address of their customer to be able to contact, advise and upgrade. However, people do move homes, they may not have internet access or just may not be aware of this 3G/4G issue about to be dropped on us. It is a bigger issue and we do not know all sides. So it becomes difficult to say what we may think is the solution. I believe it may require a completely new pendant, not just an ‘upgrade by a click of a button’ and getting thousands done will be no mean feat.

Just today I told my husband he should get our home security upgraded soon but was told cut off is not going to take place until August - ‘hello hubby, we are not the only people that will need to upgrade. We need to get in now as they will be snowed under with replacement system requests closer to cut off date. It is almost mid-June now & time flies as we know.’ Hopefully I have got through to him on the urgency to request upgrading and will push more for him to get his act together by the end of next week.