Unusual beach find cleans stubborn dirt on oven doors!

Every splatter, splash, and culinary 'accident' that tends to happen while baking or cooking stays within the oven, especially on the glass door!

But we can't clean the inside of a hot oven, so by the time we're done eating and the oven has cooled down, we've forgotten about these messes. Over time, all of this dirt, grime, and grease can build up and turn the kitchen into a major eyesore.

Now that you finally decided that today is the day to tackle that built-up grime on your oven door, what would you first do? Is your first instinct to reach for the store-bought cleaners that may contain harmful ingredients?

Hold your horses, folks! One mum has revealed that there is a safer, quicker, and more environmentally-friendly way of getting rid of that stubborn nasty stuff on our oven doors – and it can be found somewhere you might not be expecting: the beach!

omuhHNu550TzQw2ETiRhmT4sufe-fw4iwn31CZstBsesXh6oVkP5VkcG-rPN3WMVAAX3M4nDbmFJn3ZDn-O8laI45-TZzS7TWlIagD5sRguwYwF6hAQcp5st8I6X7d88wZoR3ABH62ahKvoMMm3JSPGrjfYrsPXYXiziKsB3VNj3X4R900vogf_VUg

One mum uses a cuttlefish bone to clean her oven door. Credit: Facebook.

Hundreds of cleaning enthusiasts on social media are going wild over one Aussie mum's oven door cleaning hack.

Sharing on Facebook, the woman revealed that to quickly and effectively clean her oven door from months of built-up dirt, she uses an unlikely tool – a cuttlefish bone!

The unlikely cleaning item can be easily found washed up on the beach, but of course, we wouldn't advise you to actually travel to the nearest shore just to get one. (But if you're up for some adventure and are planning to get a beautiful tan while you're at it, then, by all means, go for it!)

Cuttlefish bones are also available in some seafood stores and pet shops. Their high mineral and calcium content makes them an essential dietary supplement for birds, aiding in both bone development and blood clotting.

W3KhPpLJS3ZRTyH6ecffEcX_8P5UVDh2xXquyk9gyl5uiZHa3lout6Bz8a-BBQun5VgxIJd8kUmIDzgBlxoKQiqxZdstxJgph9nozXzSZAyJo8afdVAmVz71Qfexy00dk_QIJdoXSkYCTBZRN0O4ShvGd75W4vcPZlEDFBz0g3hcJlIsHxtua0wMIw

Snap the cuttlefish bone in half and use it to clean dirty surfaces. Credit: Omlet.

In a post on the popular Facebook group Cleaning & Organising Inspiration Australia, the mum revealed how she uses the popular pet supplement to clean her oven door. Here's how to do it:
  1. Boil some water and pour it into a heatproof bowl.
  2. Snap the cuttlefish bone in half and dip it into the boiling water.
  3. Use the wet part as a scraper on the glass, scrubbing the surface in vertical motions.
According to the mum, this method never fails her and is a lot faster than other store-bought cleaners! 'It doesn't scratch the glass either and is better for your health,' she added.

Hundreds of members of the cleaning enthusiasts' Facebook group were blown away by the photo of the results, saying they never expected a pet store buy to do an amazing job.

Most of them said they were keen to give it a try in their kitchen, while others thanked and praised the mum for sharing the tip.

'Great tip and all-natural… no nasties!' one user wrote in the comments section of the post, and a second person added: 'This is the craziest thing I've read in a while. How does one come up with this lol? Will definitely have to make use of those summer beach trips!'

nq_wd9Qfhvm25Y9wxf0Hk6t8VZ2Y4AFFr6zsQ-DoHSs5W4smFItb40rOKLmVD0HSH-sXhQUbXl_-G9fe8XooTb6yVMNGvuIWF9shmZwblRWiQ5RS5XYFrYI3EPA71V6DZ5aVICvwPKWV0gg_ebTsnlQajby0JMpBIvlzhZKG4ezcRbaVYp86eNVMNg

If you see a cuttlefish bone on the beach, pick it up and take it home. Credit: iStockphoto.

Some people also mentioned that they have some extra cuttlefish bones lying around, and now they have a use for them.

'I have a huge one sitting out in the sun at home. Meant for our bird!' said a third, with a fourth adding, 'Wow. I just collected about 10 for my budgie - guess she will be getting nine now.'

So what do you think about this cleaning 'hack', members? When you next visit the beach, you'll know exactly what to bring back with you!

Sponsored
Every splatter, splash, and culinary 'accident' that tends to happen while baking or cooking stays within the oven, especially on the glass door!

But we can't clean the inside of a hot oven, so by the time we're done eating and the oven has cooled down, we've forgotten about these messes. Over time, all of this dirt, grime, and grease can build up and turn the kitchen into a major eyesore.

Now that you finally decided that today is the day to tackle that built-up grime on your oven door, what would you first do? Is your first instinct to reach for the store-bought cleaners that may contain harmful ingredients?

Hold your horses, folks! One mum has revealed that there is a safer, quicker, and more environmentally-friendly way of getting rid of that stubborn nasty stuff on our oven doors – and it can be found somewhere you might not be expecting: the beach!

omuhHNu550TzQw2ETiRhmT4sufe-fw4iwn31CZstBsesXh6oVkP5VkcG-rPN3WMVAAX3M4nDbmFJn3ZDn-O8laI45-TZzS7TWlIagD5sRguwYwF6hAQcp5st8I6X7d88wZoR3ABH62ahKvoMMm3JSPGrjfYrsPXYXiziKsB3VNj3X4R900vogf_VUg

One mum uses a cuttlefish bone to clean her oven door. Credit: Facebook.

Hundreds of cleaning enthusiasts on social media are going wild over one Aussie mum's oven door cleaning hack.

Sharing on Facebook, the woman revealed that to quickly and effectively clean her oven door from months of built-up dirt, she uses an unlikely tool – a cuttlefish bone!

The unlikely cleaning item can be easily found washed up on the beach, but of course, we wouldn't advise you to actually travel to the nearest shore just to get one. (But if you're up for some adventure and are planning to get a beautiful tan while you're at it, then, by all means, go for it!)

Cuttlefish bones are also available in some seafood stores and pet shops. Their high mineral and calcium content makes them an essential dietary supplement for birds, aiding in both bone development and blood clotting.

W3KhPpLJS3ZRTyH6ecffEcX_8P5UVDh2xXquyk9gyl5uiZHa3lout6Bz8a-BBQun5VgxIJd8kUmIDzgBlxoKQiqxZdstxJgph9nozXzSZAyJo8afdVAmVz71Qfexy00dk_QIJdoXSkYCTBZRN0O4ShvGd75W4vcPZlEDFBz0g3hcJlIsHxtua0wMIw

Snap the cuttlefish bone in half and use it to clean dirty surfaces. Credit: Omlet.

In a post on the popular Facebook group Cleaning & Organising Inspiration Australia, the mum revealed how she uses the popular pet supplement to clean her oven door. Here's how to do it:
  1. Boil some water and pour it into a heatproof bowl.
  2. Snap the cuttlefish bone in half and dip it into the boiling water.
  3. Use the wet part as a scraper on the glass, scrubbing the surface in vertical motions.
According to the mum, this method never fails her and is a lot faster than other store-bought cleaners! 'It doesn't scratch the glass either and is better for your health,' she added.

Hundreds of members of the cleaning enthusiasts' Facebook group were blown away by the photo of the results, saying they never expected a pet store buy to do an amazing job.

Most of them said they were keen to give it a try in their kitchen, while others thanked and praised the mum for sharing the tip.

'Great tip and all-natural… no nasties!' one user wrote in the comments section of the post, and a second person added: 'This is the craziest thing I've read in a while. How does one come up with this lol? Will definitely have to make use of those summer beach trips!'

nq_wd9Qfhvm25Y9wxf0Hk6t8VZ2Y4AFFr6zsQ-DoHSs5W4smFItb40rOKLmVD0HSH-sXhQUbXl_-G9fe8XooTb6yVMNGvuIWF9shmZwblRWiQ5RS5XYFrYI3EPA71V6DZ5aVICvwPKWV0gg_ebTsnlQajby0JMpBIvlzhZKG4ezcRbaVYp86eNVMNg

If you see a cuttlefish bone on the beach, pick it up and take it home. Credit: iStockphoto.

Some people also mentioned that they have some extra cuttlefish bones lying around, and now they have a use for them.

'I have a huge one sitting out in the sun at home. Meant for our bird!' said a third, with a fourth adding, 'Wow. I just collected about 10 for my budgie - guess she will be getting nine now.'

So what do you think about this cleaning 'hack', members? When you next visit the beach, you'll know exactly what to bring back with you!
I am continually amazed & grateful for simple solutions to major problems readers offer up.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
The best way to clean the oven was suggested to me by my grandmother. Mix 1/2 cup of liquid dish soap with 1/2 cup baking soda and 1/4 cup white vinegar. Mix everything and apply it all over the oven with an old toothbrush or an abrasive sponge. Now let the solution soak in, wait overnight, and wipe with a sponge with clean water the next day. By the way, such things must be done periodically with all kitchen appliances. Otherwise, the Refrigerator Repair service may be used because of a large amount of accumulated fat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ezzy