Unlock the secret trick a savvy shopper used to slash her grocery bills!

There are two types of shoppers: those who pay the full price and those who sniff out bargains like champs.

One mum managed to bag groceries, slashing her bills for a significant amount!

Before dismissing this as a one-off stroke of luck, there's an actual method to the markdown madness—and it can help you save big on your next grocery run.

Aussie mum Kelly, also known as Frugal Fun Mum online, bagged an astonishing $120 worth of groceries for a mere $12 at her local Coles.

Kelly's impressive haul isn't a result of hours spent couponing or a secret handshake with the store manager.

As she puts it, it was 'pure luck' combined with being in the right place at the right time.

She stumbled upon a treasure trove of items adorned with two magic words: 'Quick SALE'.

These stickers signal that a product is nearing its sell-by date and has been significantly reduced in price to sell quickly.

compressed-Grocery Haul.jpeg
Kelly shared her unbelievable grocery haul, which she claims she can extend for a week. Image Credit: Instagram/Frugal Fun Mum

How can other shoppers replicate Kelly's money-saving success?

She advises fellow shoppers to engage in conversations.

'You really need to ask in-store and at least ask for a ballpark. They will often say it depends on staff availability to get out on the floor,' she shared.

While it varies from store to store, getting a general idea can help you time your shopping trips to coincide with these markdown periods.

In a twist that adds a competitive edge to the bargain hunt, Kelly points out that Woolworths has an advantage over Coles in the markdown game.

Woolworths uses time-stamped markdown stickers, which allow shoppers to see when an item's price is reduced and give them a clearer idea of how long it has been on sale.

On the other hand, Coles does not include this timestamp, making it a bit more mysterious.

Kelly's haul is the stuff of legend among thrifty shoppers.

She snagged three packets of Australian beef burger patties for 80 cents each, a kilogram of beef mince for $1.30, and pork cutlets for 84 cents, among other items.

The total savings? A whopping $107.45.

She also received a voucher for a free hot roast chicken, thanks to a Coles policy that compensates customers when hot chickens are out of stock.

Kelly's frugality doesn't end at the checkout.

She's a master of food preservation, dividing up the meat for the freezer and even freezing milk for later use.

Her approach is practical and waste-conscious, ensuring that her family of four gets the most out of every markdown.

However, Kelly warns against getting swept up in the excitement of the red sticker.

She emphasises the importance of knowing grocery prices and setting limits when it comes to budgeting.

'Just because something is on markdown doesn't mean it's a better price,' she shared.

This disciplined approach keeps her weekly grocery budget between $100 to $150, with meals planned around markdowns and specials.

It's time to take a page out of Kelly's book—know your local supermarket's markdown schedule, familiarise yourself with regular prices, and don't be afraid to ask staff for insider info.

You could turn a hefty grocery bill into pocket change with strategy and timing.
Key Takeaways
  • An Aussie mother achieved significant savings on groceries by purchasing 'quick sale' items at a local Coles.
  • Shoppers can find bargains by inquiring when their local store conducts markdowns and timing their shopping accordingly.
  • Coles does not timestamp its markdown stickers, making it harder to determine when items went on sale.
  • It's important for bargain hunters to know regular prices and set price limits for shopping. Additionally, not all markdowns offer good value.
Have you ever scored an incredible deal at the supermarket? Do you have any tips for fellow bargain hunters? Share your stories and advice in the comments below!

Sponsored
As a single person, I can''t buy "fresh" food in bulk and I couldn't eat a whole chicken in a day. I'm wary of any processed fruit or vegetables as there have been a number of contaminations and recalls. Also I can't drink normal milk without problems and A2 milk has rarely been on special and when it is, the due date is too close (2L lasts me 10 days!). I envy those that can make use of sale items when they are available, but single households have a lot less options. I have purchased meat closer to the "due date" and if frozen immediately it has been OK to eat later, but even that option is limited as I only have a small freezer. Go for it if you can. My best way of saving ... don't eat!

Reactions: BabsL
So fed up w supermarkets constant DISCRIMINATION against single ppl - you know, the ones w little refrigerators, tiny freezer, no cupboard space or storage! Meat only comes in 500gm or bigger sizes.
Would like to by K-ROOs meat but they refuse to pack in 200-250gm sizes.
Even mince is 500gm minimum size. We cannot store those quantities. My fridge is so small (thanx HiSense) that it cannot fit in a whole lettuce - shelves NOT adjustable.
More and more ppl live on their own now, but supermarkets still insist on large packages only for protein. Unfair? You betcha!!

We used to be able to buy mince trays of 250gms, cartons of 6 frozen Egg Whites, and 600ml cartons of milk. These are quantity packagings that we depended upon to shop affordably.

But greedy supermarket bosses wanted more money, so they stopped considering single ppl and pensioners living BELOW the Poverty line, in any way shape of form. They removed the 250g mince packs & made everything bigger sizes, claiming it saved money to buy more. WE KNOW THAT IS A LIE.
Was then, still is now. The Duopoly was built to lie and to harm those stuck on the bottom rungs.
One reason Aussies eat so much rubbish is that all the good food is packed in big sizes we cannot afford to buy, now noodles replace meat.

Never have I received a voucher from Coles when chickens are out of stock when I inquired about them they had never heard of it and said don't believe everything you read online we don't do it here at Coles in Bundaberg Queensland
I received a voucher for a chicken in Hervey Bay when there were no chickens available. They have a small sign displayed on the front of where the chickens sit once cooked. They did tell me more chooks would be finished cooking in 18 minutes but I said I won't be shopping that long as I only needed a couple of items so they gave me the voucher. the voucher does have to be used within a week though.
Never have I received a voucher from Coles when chickens are out of stock when I inquired about them they had never heard of it and said don't believe everything you read online we don't do it here at Coles in Bundaberg Queensland

Like to know what State and Suburb does this. I asked Woollies if they wld reduce a bag of potatoes bcz 2-3 small spuds were a bit green. The man snatched the bag from out of my hand and said we can’t sell them like that, they’ll be thrown out! Rude and what a waste. Nothing wrong w the rest of the potatoes, and if a bit green, peel & cut it off.
I'd give Woolies a miss.....

I can relate to this article so well. I wait for the KFC 24 nuggets for $10 and make them last four days. I don't use my main oven any more, so buy a roast dinner approx every fortnight to make sure I get one decent evening meal ($12). Noodles one night, a can of soup for another. Every so often a day off - actually a random fast can have benefits. I wait until the sausages are on sale and buy 2 packs for $7. I have an allergy to tomatoes, and can only tolerate a small amount of pasta, not keen on eggs either, though a cheese omelette is OK. Sometimes the pack meals go on sale - Macaroni Cheese (nothing like the home made, but edible). Rice mini meals. Sometimes just a toasted cheese sandwich. I get by. I feel for pensioners who can't even afford this.

This is just utter rubbish! It's extremely rare to get these markdowns...you have better odds at wining lotto!!!

I'm often able to catch a bargain with the "green godess salad" which gets marked down from $6.50 to 50 cents. 🎉