Unlock the secret to saving thousands by understanding this one food label!

Surveys consistently reveal that the cost of living, particularly grocery expenses, rise annually.

But don't worry, despite the high prices, there are numerous opportunities to save money while shopping for food. It may require some research and careful thought, but it's definitely achievable.

One effective way to start saving is by understanding the information presented on food labels. Believe it or not, this knowledge can potentially save you thousands of dollars annually.

compressed-photo-1601057366047-ec734881239b (1).jpeg
Food labels contain valuable information that, if not properly understood, could be costing you thousands of dollars each year. It's time to learn how to read those labels and make informed choices to save money. Image by atoms from Unsplash

Have you ever noticed those tiny numbers imprinted on the plastic wrap or packaging of your fruits and vegetables, canned goods, and other items? Those numbers hold valuable information about the safety and shelf life of the food.

Consumer confusion regarding the two types of dates found on food labels—the 'best before' and 'use-by' dates—is a significant contributing factor to what is commonly referred to as 'household food waste’. This occurs when consumers discard perfectly edible groceries mistakenly.

Recent research conducted by Wrap and Mayonnaise brand Hellmans in Australia revealed that one in three households wastes the equivalent of a full shopping bag of food every week. This wastage amounts to a staggering cost of over $2000 per year.

Differentiating between the two types of dates on food labels is a relatively simple yet effective method of reducing waste and saving money.

compressed-photo-1553531889-56cc480ac5cb (1).jpeg
Food labels provide crucial details about the product, including ingredients, nutritional information, and serving sizes. Image by boxedwater from Unsplash

Use-by date​

The use-by date is typically found on perishable foods such as pre-packaged meals or protein products. According to Woolworths, a use-by date indicates the deadline for consuming a food item for health and safety reasons.

It is crucial to adhere to the use-by date, as expired foods can pose a risk to your well-being and may lead to food poisoning. It is essential to discard any food items that have exceeded their use-by dates and avoid cooking, freezing, or consuming them.

Best-before date​

On the other hand, a best-before date pertains to the quality rather than the safety of the food. This date is commonly found on non-perishable items like canned goods, dry goods, fruits, and vegetables.

'It may not be unsafe to eat a food past its best before date; you may simply notice that some of its quality, flavour or texture has been lost,' Woolworths explained.

'As with use-by dates, following the food’s storage instructions ensures an item retains its quality for as long as possible.'

This means that watching out for these best-before dates could be a great way to keep that weekly grocery bill lower.

Key Takeaways
  • Understanding the food label is crucial to cutting down your grocery bill and reducing food waste.
  • The distinction between the 'best before' and 'use-by' dates are essential for determining safety and quality in food consumption, respectively.
  • Woolworths suggests that a 'better safe than sorry' philosophy be followed when it comes to use-by dates, while a best-before date indicates a potential loss of flavour or texture but not necessarily safety.
  • Knowing these distinctions and following food storage instructions can help save money and prevent food waste, a pressing issue in Australian households.
We suggest making it a habit to check all your food items’ labels and to use a ‘better safe than sorry’ philosophy when it comes to understanding and using expiry dates.

Being more conscious of what it means to ensure you’ve got food that’s safe and well-preserved can certainly help curb your grocery expenses in the long term.

Make sure to experiment and become more aware the next time you head to the supermarket to shop!

Sponsored
I grew up without these date labels on my food & did not suffer any adverse consequence from not having that knowledge. I now ignore the best before & use by dates. What I do miss, is the date on the bread tags of the day it was baked. This is more useful than all the other dates. It told me how fresh it really was. This date should be required on all baked goods as it prevents the supermarkets from selling stale bread, cakes etc at full price.

I agree with elaine41 on the bread issue. i also was born in the days of none of the use by or best buy labels. I recently being on my own had a 2 litre bottle of milk that had a use by date but as I only use a very small amount of milk it was not used up by that date. I continued to use this for a week over the date checking each day eventually I decided to waste the rest but it still was looking ok and did not smell of sour milk. So I now I say Just how long does milk really last? When was the milk actually bottled?

I agree with elaine41 on the bread issue. i also was born in the days of none of the use by or best buy labels. I recently being on my own had a 2 litre bottle of milk that had a use by date but as I only use a very small amount of milk it was not used up by that date. I continued to use this for a week over the date checking each day eventually I decided to waste the rest but it still was looking ok and did not smell of sour milk. So I now I say Just how long does milk really last? When was the milk actually bottled?
I haven't bought bottled milk for more than 20 years. I use WW Full Cream Powdered Milk which I make up at the rate of 1/3 cup of milk powder to 500 mls water. This will last me for close to a week for my coffee only so saves me heaps of money

I grew up without these date labels on my food & did not suffer any adverse consequence from not having that knowledge. I now ignore the best before & use by dates. What I do miss, is the date on the bread tags of the day it was baked. This is more useful than all the other dates. It told me how fresh it really was. This date should be required on all baked goods as it prevents the supermarkets from selling stale bread, cakes etc at full price.
years ago they did not use what they do today to keep food edible. we could rely on biscuits to be biscuits, flour sugar bread eggs meat, name it we had it. Today we do not. I am now looking at a bread tag which has the best before date showing. rather that than the day it was baked.

years ago they did not use what they do today to keep food edible. we could rely on biscuits to be biscuits, flour sugar bread eggs meat, name it we had it. Today we do not. I am now looking at a bread tag which has the best before date showing. rather that than the day it was baked.
I don't want to pay full price for bread which is already 1-2 days old. That's why I want to see the date on which it was baked. Because supermarkets don't give me this information I now buy most of my bread from local bakery where I know the bread was baked that day.

Well, durr, of course, EVERYBODY buys out-of-date merchandise as a matter of rule, don't they? Does the modern generation need to have it explained to them that, in general, foodstuffs are perishable and that's why there are these funny little notices on the packaging saying something like "BEST BEFORE ... " or whatever?
Does mummy or daddy still have to hold their hand while they cross the road?

As a 12 year old I used to hand milk the house cow night and morning and drank pure live milk with never a problem and wish the hell I could still drink it, and as for bread my Mother made the bread never anything better well except for Prawa bread which we traded for at school with the Maori kids

My grandparents owned and milked a cow. It is one on my many memories spending holidays with them and drinking the freshly collected milk. Still warm and frothy. Not sure how I would go these days.

Reactions: TheBear
"It is crucial to adhere to the use-by date, as expired foods can pose a risk to your well-being and may lead to food poisoning. It is essential to discard any food items that have exceeded their use-by dates and avoid cooking, freezing, or consuming them."
What a load of twaddle!

I buy 1 liter long life milk carton and finish it in 2-3 days and it's always fine.